Nov
2007

Loaded Baked Potato Soup

Tags: ,

Dinner

Still making soup…. We had this for dinner tonight with our neighbors before we took the kids trick or treating. It was really good. I made it last night and simmered it throughout the day, one of my favorites! Totally worth the prep time. It makes a huge batch, 1/2 the recipe if you’d like. Enjoy!

12 oz Applewood smoked bacon
4 stalks celery finely diced
2 large carrots, peeled, finely diced
1 jalapeno, seeded, membrane removed and finely chopped
1 large onion, finely chopped
½ Cup red bell pepper, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup thinly sliced ham or Canadian bacon
32 oz chicken broth
6 oz half and half
10 med/lg. potatoes, baked, peeled and mashed
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
½ Cup milk
4 oz sour cream
1 ½ Cups shredded cheddar cheese

Garnish
½ Cup sour cream
1 Cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 Cup thinly sliced green onion (green part)

1. Heat large dutch oven over medium heat. Cut bacon into pieces and cook until browned and crisp. Transfer bacon to a paper towel lined plate. Discard bacon grease, reserving 2 Tablespoons to sauté veggis. Saute celery, carrots, jalapeno, onion and bell pepper in bacon grease for 10 minutes, stirring often until softened. Stir in garlic and ham; cook for 3 more minutes. Stir in chicken broth and half and half.
2. Place mashed potatoes in a stand or electric mixer. Mix on medium speed adding salt, pepper and milk. Stir mashed potatoes into soup until combined. Heat for 10 minutes.
3. Stir in sour cream and cheese until smooth. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste. Simmer on low until ready to serve. Top with sour cream, bacon, cheese and green onion.

Comments

Emilie says:

Your soup looks souper! Ha ha.
    You are on a roll lately with your soups. I have never had baked potato soup, but I really want to try it.
    Applewood smoked bacon…mmmm.

Nash says:

Do I have to have a dutch oven?

Nash says:

I made your thai dinner, and we all loved it. My kids thought it was too HOT. Oh well. Bring on the easy recipes. I am loving it!

Emilie,
    Nothing like souper soup! You’ve got to try it, it’s got to be one of the best comfort foods around!

Shanda,
    A dutch oven is like the Le Creuset heavy duty pots. The base is cast iron, and it’s covered with porceline (i think, or some other similar product). You can always use a large soup pot, if you don’t have a dutch oven.

Glad your family liked those thai noodles. My kids must be immune to it, they eat it like crazy!

Lindsay says:

Hey Jenny,

This soup looks delicious! I am gonna have to try this soon. I made your hearty chicken soup and put them in pumpkin bread bowls last night. It was so good. I love all the great recipes. Would another morning be better for you?

Kim A says:

I just love your crazy angle shots…..you’re so mod!

It comes from all of my professional photograpy classes Kimmy! Ha!

Auburn says:

I haven’t even thought to leave a comment even though I have been trying so many recipes! I have been wanting to try a baked potatoe soup because I love it at Charlestons, so I am excited! I have a couple questions to ask you, I’ll call you or mabye I’ll see you at Tiff’s- where have you been? When it’s just her & I she focuses on me more and it is hard!

Hi Auburn,
    I’ve been slacking our last few workouts at Tiffany’s. I’m getting back on track Monday! See you then.

Kameron says:

This was great! I’m a little slow on the uptake here… I know you posted the recipe on Halloween and here it is past Valentine’s Day, but oh well! My advice, though: DON’T use canned jalapeños… I used barely a teaspoon and our mouths were on fire! I think it’s because the seeds were there. Wowzers! I had to douse it with ½ and ½ plus some sugar, then it was a bit more palatable. Plus the sour cream and shredded cheese curbed the heat a bit. Yum yum yum! I’m trying to convince myself to wait ’til 11am to eat leftovers (it’s only 8!). Thanks, Jenny!

Brooke says:

Made this last night and it was great!!!! I added smoked sausage instead of ham because that’s what I had. I used a couple of shortcuts with Bob Evans mashed potatoes and microwaved a couple of potatoes and diced them into the soup. My husband loved it and I just had my second bowl of leftovers today. Awesome comfort food.