Nov
2007

Italian Meatball Sliders

Tags: , ,

Dinner

These make a fun little dinner and they are full of flavor. I jazzed up a store bought sauce, but you can make a homemade sauce if you’d like. Make a side of pasta to use for the extra sauce. The kids loved these! They thought it was a cool hamburger with lots of ketchup. Enjoy!

Italian Meatball Sliders

3-4 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

1 lb lean ground beef
½ Cup finely chopped white onion
¼ Cup packed thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
2 Tablespoons finely chopped sun dried tomatoes, oil packed, drained
2 cloves garlic, minced
½ Cup Italian Seasoned Bread Crumbs (or you can make your own fresh crumbs)
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
1 Tablespoon Tabasco hot sauce
1 egg
2 Tablespoons milk

Sauce
2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
¼ Cup finely chopped white onion
¼ Cup finely chopped red or green bell pepper
2 Cloves garlic, minced
1 jar of your favorite Pasta Sauce, I used Classico
¼ Cup thinly sliced fresh basil leaves

12 fresh basil leaves
½ Cup fresh grated parmesan cheese

1. Place olive oil into 9×13 inch baking dish and swirl to coat bottom surface. Combine all meatball ingredients in a large bowl until well combined. Take about ¼ Cup handful of meat mixture and roll into ball. Align all into baking sheet.
2. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until cooked through. Half way through bake time, use fork to flip meatballs.
3. Place olive oil into a large skillet or saucepan over medium heat. Saute onion and bell pepper until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, sauce and basil leaves. Reduce heat to low and simmer until serving.
4. Brush insides of rolls with extra virgin olive oil and broil for 1-2 minutes or until golden brown.
5. Place a basil leaf onto bottom roll, a meatball, a spoonful of marinara sauce and sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Close with top roll. Enjoy!

Makes about 12 little sliders

Comments

Mademoiselle Emilie Eats says:

These look delicious! This reminds me of the “Throwdown” I just watched. They made meatballs & Bobby lost.

The Harris Family Daily Chat says:

I’d really like to know how you stay thin? I am serious. I know that you REALLY make all the stuff you post. These look so..good Jen. I want to make them and the cupcakes..I LOVE coconut! Great pics.

Hi Emilie,
    Darn, I missed that throwdown with Bobby Flay. Love that show.

Lisa,
    I’ve accepted the fact that I’ll never be ultra skinny because of how much I like to cook and eat. I better keep working out or I’ll be in trouble!

You’ll love these sliders and the cupcakes. I’m looking forward to making Stacy’s rolls this week, they sound heavenly! Enjoy!

Project Couture Vintage says:

Hey, where were these sliders last night???

Karen says:

Give me a slider!
    I’d love to make these, and I know my kids would be very happy if I did.

Too funny Karen,
    Anything that looks like a hamburger the kids love!

Proud Italian Cook says:

Jenny, I made meat ball sliders too! Hey were did you get your buns?? Do you have costco there? Thanks, for the link on your blog I just noticed it! You have a really nice blog and I will be back too! Oh, and my 6 yr old grandaughter is a VERY picky eater!! maybe I’ll get some tips from you!!

Proud Italian Cook,
    I actually got the idea for these sliders from your blog. They looked so good, I made my own version.

I got the rolls at Costco. They are the perfect size. There are a ton of them, so I just put them in ziplocks and freeze them until I need them.

Thanks for stopping in, I love your blog and I check it often!

Cheryl Newton says:

Jenny,
    I know by now you’re probably trying to figure out a way to block me from seeing your blog! I thought I had read it from the beginning, but either I’m getting forgetful, or I just missed a bunch of recipes. Everything looks delicious, even stuff I’d never eat because I’m, well, picky! Anywho, what’s the temp for these babies? 350?
    Thanks,