Jan
2008

Soup’s Up

Tags:

Dinner

I really wanted to make Catherine’s Tortillini soup tonight, but got lazy and didn’t feel like going to the grocery store so this was the next best thing available. I opened the fridge, pulled out all the veggis I had, chopped them up and came up with this soup. I actually really enjoyed it. So did my hubby and boys.

For anyone that uses pressure cookers, this soup is a breeze. Stick those frozen chicken breasts from Costco in the pressure cooker and 15 minutes later they are ready to shred. I love it. I also put the brown rice in the rice cooker and it was done in 20 minutes rather than 45 on the stove top. It’s all about saving time right?

Hope you all enjoy. I love soup this time of year!

Chicken, Brown Rice and Spinach Vegetable Soup

2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
½ white onion, finely chopped
1 anaheim pepper, finely chopped
4 medium carrots, diced
2 Cups thinly sliced fresh baby spinach leaves
3 cloves fresh garlic, minced
3 14 oz cans chicken broth
2 large boneless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
2 Cups cooked brown rice
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
¼ teaspoon garlic salt
¼ teaspoon Cajun seasoning (I used Emerils)

1. Place olive oil into a large dutch oven or pot over medium heat. Saute the onion, pepper, carrots and spinach leaves for 8-10 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in garlic; stir for 1 minute. Stir in chicken broth, chicken, rice, salt, pepper, garlic salt and Cajun seasoning. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15-30 minutes. Taste and season with additional salt if needed.

2. Serve with crackers. If you’re feeling crazy, stir in a Tablespoon or 2 of heavy cream. Mmmmm!

Enjoy!

Comments

The Lyman Family says:

That one looks yummy. I’m ALL about fast and easy. we’ll have to try it out!

Fast and easy is a must with hungry kids running around! Hope you guys like it!
    I must have just missed you when you were on my blog last night. I was blogging until about 11:30 last night.

Melanie C. says:

I love your blog! I have hust been introduced to the world of food blogs–yours is one of my favorites! I have already tried several of your recipes..they are great! Thanks!

Thanks Melanie. Hope you find some more recipes for you and your family!

Food blogs are so addicting. There are so many to check out and so little time!!

Kevin says:

Chicken soup with lots of chicken and vegetables and an anaheim pepper for some heat sounds good. It looks good too.

Catherine says:

Look’s terrific, Jenny….your photography just gets better and better! I’ve never cooked with a pressure cooker, and this is inspiring me! And, hey, cream isn’t crazy…it’s necessary!!!!
    Great recipe for my soup collection.

Hi Catherine,
    Next time you are down in the Gilbert area you’ve got to check out Shar’s Bosch Kitchen store on Gilbert and Baseline. She’s got a whole line of pressure cookers. Pricey, but anything that makes life easier in the kitchen is worth the cash! She’s got a bunch of other really cool kitchen stuff too!

Karen says:

This is just the soup I needed over the holidays, when I was about a month into my long, never-ending winter cold.

Looks just delicious!

Karen,
    Hope you are feeling better. Cold season is no fun, a whole month sounds horrible! Did you see our recipes in this month’s Southern Living magazine?

Tracy says:

Looks yummy, Jenny. Perfect for winter!

Proud Italian Cook says:

Jenny, have you tried T Joes frozen brown rice yet? It taste’s like you cooked it from scratch! Your soup looks delish!!

Oooo, Thanks for the tip about Trader Joes, I’ll definately be purchasing that rice next time I’m there!

MrsPresley says:

mmm that soup looks so hearty and comforting! wish i had a pressure cooker… oh well, i will stick to regular poaching for now!

Nicole says:

This soup looks heavenly! I love your blog! :)

hcsandy says:

Jenny –

I LOVE your blog…it’s the first place I go each morning.

So, I was going back through your ideas, and read how you cooked this chicken in the Pressure cooker…my MIL gave me one years ago for Christmas..and I’m ashamed to say, I’ve never used it! I love this idea with Cosco chicken! I may actually break the shrinkwrap on this baby and use it!

Thanks!!

Hcsandy,
    Thanks so much for visiting my blog regularly!

You’ve got to break out your pressure cooker. I highly recommend becoming very familiar with all of the directions before you use it. I was fortunate to have classes offered on how to use them before I purchased mine. If yours in a Kuhn Rikon, it is a great product! Good luck, let me know how you like it. It’s the only way I cook my frozen chicken breast.