Jan
2008

Hope You’re Hungry!

How do you like your burgers? Think you could tackle this massive ½ lb burger? Just like my muffins, I like to make giant burgers too. Don’t try to eat this in one sitting, you could be sick for days!

One of my favorite things about entering cooking contests, is having the opportunity to travel to cool new cities that I may have not gone otherwise. In 2004 and 2006 I was a finalist in the Build A Better Burger Cook-off held in Napa Valley, CA. The cook-off is actually in St Helena which is absolutely gorgeous, so green and beautiful with vinyards on every corner. Since then, one of my very favorite things to cook/create are gourmet burgers. I’ve tried to go back to the small burgers, but they just look so funny! I am determined to get back to that cook-off and try again for the $50K. Third times a charm right?

This burger has all the yummy fixins without the fuss. It’s nothing too unusual, just delicious. Who says grilling is just for the summer? Fire up those grills and enjoy this ½ lb monster burger! Then do lots of cardio, ok maybe run a marathon.

Giant Bacon Cheeseburger with the Works

1 lb ground beef
1 Tablespoon Tabasco Sauce
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
¼ Cup parmesan cheese

2 slices Tillamook Cheddar Cheese
2 whole grain roll, split

¼ Cup mayonnaise

1 Cup fresh baby spinach leaves
2 large slices tomato
4 strips cooked applewood smoked bacon

8 slices avocado

1. Preheat grill to medium high. In a large bowl combine the beef, Tabasco, salt, pepper and parmesan cheese. Form into 2 large patties.

2. Place patties onto a lightly greased grill, close lid and cook for 5-6 minutes. Flip and cook for an additional 5-6 minutes. During last few minutes of cooking, place cheese on tops and place rolls, cut side down to toast lightly.

3. Mayonnaise both sides of rolls, layer bottom rolls with spinach leaves, the burger, tomato, bacon and the avocado. Close with top roll and dig in!

2 huge burgers

Comments

Crazy Lady says:

That looks so delicious! Hope you win!

Emiline says:

That is a big burger!
    Wow, I can’t believe you’ve been twice to BBB. That is impressive. I want to go!! I’m not that great with burgers, though.

That looks really good…

Birdie says:

Jenny

Thanks for adding me to your site. I have added you to mine as well. The burger looks great, really good picture! I hope to make it to the BBB one day as well. Maybe I’ll see you there!

Birdie

Thanks Crazy lady! (that sounds funny huh?)

Emiline,
    You’ve got to try for BBB, it is such a fun competition. They spoil you rotten!

Birdie,
    Let’s hope to meet at BBB someday soon!

Deborah says:

My husband is the burger maker in our house, and he makes them big just like yours!! I keep wanting him to enter some contests, because he seriously makes the best burgers I’ve ever had. But then he’d probably be competing against you!!

Hi Deborah,
    I wish I could get my husband to make anything! You’ll have to have your hubby start entering some contests. Could be worth big bucks! However, for some weird reason the BBB cook-off doesn’t allow Utah to enter. Has something to do with the alcohol law. Same with CA.

Catherine says:

Insane! I could eat that bad boy…easy! I LOVE the burgers!
    And, everyone who knows I do contests, always, always knows about BBB…I think it may one day be bigger in popularity than Pillsbury!

Dave and Tricia Folsom Family Fun says:

Everything you make looks so good! I was thinking of you the other day as I watched GMA. They are having a Macaroni and Cheese contest and they want people to send in their recipe’s and they will pick people to come on. You should definitley do it! It would be easy for you – you have already done a Mac&Cheese contest! It would be fun to see you on there.

Hi Catherine,
    BBB is definately one of the best out there that’s for sure. I wonder why FN decided not to film the event last year?

Hi Tricia,
    I was bummed I couldn’t make the girls dinner last week. I work Mondays now and get home late. Micah said you all had fun huh?

One of my friends emailed me about that GMA mac and cheese cook-off. It sounds like fun, we’ll see if I can come up with something! Thanks for reminding me!

Kim A says:

OH MY GOSH…,my mouth is seriously watering!

MrsPresley says:

wow i am drooling! GL with your next competition!