Feb
2008

A Little Pancake With Your Blueberries…

Tags: ,

Breakfast and Brunch

My boys had been asking me for blueberry pancakes for about 5 days straight last week. Mornings before school get so hectic, it seems like all we have time for is cold cereal or breakfast bars. I ended up breaking down one morning and made them their blueberry pancakes.
This was a spontaneous recipe I came up with and I decided to add some flax seed meal that I bought from Trader Joes a few months ago. I always hear it is so good for you. These pancakes were really delicious, you hardly even know they are healthy.
It was funny, I went a little overboard and added about two times too many blueberries in the pancake batter, so the pancakes were a bit blue. My boys looked at them funny, but ate them because they had been waiting so long for pancakes! I love that they had no idea these were actually healthy. I thought they were great with all the blueberries, but I decreased the amount in the recipe below so the pancakes don’t turn blue on you! I’ll definately make these again, they were great.

Healthy Whole Wheat Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes
1 egg
1 cup buttermilk
2 tablespoons canola oil
3/4 Cup frozen blueberries, plus 1 Cup for garnish
1 Cup warm pure maple syrup

Directions:
Stir together the flour, flax seed meal, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir in the the egg, buttermilk and canola oil until just combined. Stir in the blueberries. Pour the batter onto a greased hot skillet and cook about 2 minutes per side or until browned and cooked through. Serve with extra blueberries and pure maple syrup.
Makes 12 4-inch pancakes

Comments

Jen says:

Holy cow, those look so good. Another way to keep the pancakes looking “normal” is to just wait till you have the batter on the griddle, then lightly drop the berries over the top. I do that and it works well.

Emiline says:

I love blueberry pancakes! Well, any pancakes, actually.

These are healthy and chock full of antioxidants.
    You have some healthy boys.

Melanie C. says:

These look great! My boys LOVE pancakes too. I have been grinding flax seed lately and trying to find yummy ways to sneak t into recipes. I put some in my homemade granola–but it changed the flavor and I didn’t really like it. I am glad that it was god in these–I will definetly give them a go! Thanks!

Kevin says:

Blueberry pancakes are one of my favorites. Those look good and sound nice and healthy.

Grumpy's Honeybunch says:

These look yummy to me, even with your too many blueberries! Actually, I don’t think you can have too much of something good! :-)

Bonnie says:

Hi Jen. I left you a comment before – but again, I love your blog. I too love pancakes and if you haven’t tried Trader Joe’s Whole Grain Pancake mix, it’s a must, especially if you’re in a hurry. It’s delicious and healthy too. I’m definitely going to try these blueberry ones. I too LOVE pancakes!!!

Great idea Jen, I think I’ll try that next time!

Hi Emiline,
    Me too, I love pancakes, especially for dinner.

Melanie,
    I know, I’m going to start sprinkling it in soup and spaghetti sauce. I bet you won’t even be able to tell.

Hi Kevin,
    Minus all the syrup I put on, these are nice and healthy!

Grumpy Honeybunch,
    I loved all the blueberries, it almost tasted like blueberry bread pudding, Yum!

Thanks for the tip on the Trader Joes Pancake mix. I’ll be picking it up next time I’m there! Have I ever mentioned I love that place!! Totally kidding.

Catherine Wilkinson says:

Awesome. I love blueberries. But then last night I read that blackberries were even more healthy! I wonder if they would be good in pancakes?
    I can’t keep up with all this health stuff!
    I’ll stick with butter and sugar.
    At least I’ll die happy!

Karen says:

Yum! I love adding flaxseed meal to recipes too.

A. Grace says:

give me blueberries or give me death! okay, maybe not–just kidding God!
    i’m loving your blog, and i personally think your pancakes are beautiful!

The Fischer Family says:

Yum! These look so good! We love blueberries pancakes. I’ll have to give these a try!

Too funny Catherine! Sometimes I surprise myself and make a few healthy recipes on occasion! I bet blackberry pancakes would be awesome!

Hi Karen,
    I think I’ll be adding flaxseed to more of my recipes just to see if my family can tell!

Thanks A. Grace!
    I too love blueberries on about anything!

Thanks Fischer Family!

lindsay w. says:

did you know today is International Pancake Day?? in our neck of the woods IHOP is giving away free short stacks today!

i think we’ll forego IHOP and make these for dinner to celebrate…thanks for the recipe!

Dave and Tricia Folsom Family Fun says:

They look great Jenny! My daughter LOVES blueberries! We live near a blueberry farm and in the summer you can go out and pick them yourself and they are so cheap. We made the best blueberry muffins and blueberry cream pie and of course we had lots of blueberry pancakes. We can’t wait until summer when we can go out and pick a bunch more.

Hi Lindsay,
    How cool, International Pancake Day! I need to look up all those cool food days. Enjoy eating pancakes! ps: I just found your mommy blog. I love it, I’ll have to check in often! I am still cracking up about the NKOTB post. My sister and I were just talking about their reunion tour coming up. I still have a secret crush on Joey!

Hi Tricia,
    Ooooh, I’d love a blueberry farm close by and they are even at a good price, Lucky duck! They are so pricey here, so I usually get the frozen ones from Trader Joes. I bet your daughter just loves that. Summer is just around the corner for more pickin!

Birdie says:

I love my blueberry pancakes blue. Never thought of putting flax seed in the batter. This one looks like a really good way to hide the good stuff!!

Melissa says:

You know, I have never seen flax seed meal! I have seen flax seed, but not already ground! I wish I had a Trader Joes near by!! :-(

They look great, I’ll have to give them a shot!

I am actually going to try your penne with sausage tonight! Boy, what a copy cat I am! LOL!

Crystal and Austin says:

Hi there! Those pancakes look so yummy. I have random question, are you Derek Flake’s sister? He was a good friend of mine in college, but I haven’t seen him in years. Anyway, if you are, tell him howdy for me.

Thanks!
    Crystal

Hi Crystal,
    I am Derek Flake’s Sister in Law. Too funny, I’ll tell him you say hello.

Kim A says:

You’re so popular!

MrsPresley says:

i actually like a lot of blueberries in my pancakes; most places don’t put enough! my husband loves blueberries pancakes – he would love these! :)