Feb
2008

Taco Night….Two Ways

Tags: , ,

Dinner

Taco night is always fun because you can have them in so many ways. I picked up these cute little mini pita breads at Trader Joes and used them as the shell for these little mini tacos. You can also use regular size pita bread for a bigger shell, it works great as well.

I used arugula here, but use any lettuce you like. I needed to use it up, so we’ve been putting arugula on everything! Skys’ the limit with tacos, have fun. This taco meat is really tasty, I use fire roasted tomatoes and cut them up into even smaller pieces once they were in the meat. Makes for a tasty taco meat.

Open Faced Mini Pita Tacos with Arugula and Guacamole

20-25 3 inch whole wheat mini pitas (found at Trader Joes) *You can also use 1 package of regular pitas, they’ll just make bigger open face tacos, more like tostada size*

2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 medium white onion, finely chopped
1 Anaheim chili, finely chopped
1 lb lean ground beef
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
1 packet taco seasoning
1 15 oz can fire roasted tomatoes
½ Cup water

Simple Guacamole
2 avocados, mashed
1 Tablespoon lime juice
Pinch of salt and pepper

Arugula leaves
1 Cup sour cream
½ Cup shredded cheddar cheese
½ Cup finely diced tomatoes

1. Place pitas onto a baking sheet and broil for 3-5 minutes or until crispy. Reduce oven’s temp to warm and keep warm while preparing meat.

2. Place oil into a large skillet or medium dutch oven over medium heat. Saute onion and chili pepper for 5 minutes then add the beef, salt and pepper. Cook until beef is browned. Stir in taco seasoning, fire roasted tomatoes and water. Simmer on low for 10 minutes. Place avocado, lime juice, salt and pepper into a medium bowl; mix/mash until well combined.

3. Place crisped pitas onto a serving plate. Top each with arugula leaves, a spoonful of taco meat, a dollop of sour cream and guacamole, pinch of cheese and tomato. Serve warm.

Macho Nachos

Is there anyone who doesn’t like Nachos? I personally love them and since I used the Whole Grain Tostitos, I didn’t feel as bad eating these!

Same goes with Nachos, top em’ with whatever you like! The rules are, there are no rules! Have a great weekend everyone!!

Macho Nachos

2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 medium white onion, finely chopped
1 Anaheim chili, finely chopped
1 lb lean ground beef
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
1 packet taco seasoning
1 15 oz can fire roasted tomatoes
½ Cup water

Tortilla Chips of choice (The Whole Grain Tostitos stayed crispy even after baking in the oven, great choice for nachos)
Shredded Cheddar Cheese
Black Beans (I just used canned ones, drained)
Guacamole (see recipe above)
Sour Cream
Diced Tomatoes

1. Place oil into a large skillet or medium dutch oven over medium heat. Saute onion and chili pepper for 5 minutes then add the beef, salt and pepper. Cook until beef is browned. Stir in taco seasoning, fire roasted tomatoes and water. Simmer on low for 10 minutes. Place avocado, lime juice, salt and pepper into a medium bowl; mix until well combined.

2. Arrange tortilla chips onto an oven save plate. Sprinkle evenly with desired amount of cheese. Bake for 5-10 minutes or until cheese is melted. Top nachos with beans, guacamole, sour cream and diced tomatoes. Eat warm.

Comments

Deborah says:

I love taco night!

Too funny,
    As soon as I commented on your blog, yours popped up on mine. Those cupcakes look outstanding. I’ve got to try that frosting!

Catherine Wilkinson says:

Jenny, you are definately Queen of the Taco! Those look so good! I like the idea of the fire-roasted tomatoes alot…smart!
    Now I’ve got to go look at Deborah’s cupcakes!

Emiline says:

I love tacos! We have them probably once a week. I’ve never used pita bread, but it seems like a good shell idea. Nice and sturdy.
    I like the whole grain chips, too; so good!

Jaime says:

mmmm! what a great twist on traditional tacos!

Hi Catherine,
    Hardly the taco queen!! You working on season 2 of URS?

HI EMiline,
    We are taco eating fools as well. I love the pitas as shells, they hold up perfectly.

Thanks Jamie!

Chani says:

Jenny,
    I found your blog via a friends blog. I have been trying to contact the ladies who are in charge of the Daring
    Bakers Challenge, but I keep getting a delivery failure. Do you know how I can get them? Thanks, Chani

Stephanie says:

Jenny, This is Stephanie (Strong) Montague, from 22nd ward. My husband’s cousin, Rachelle Lindblom forwarded your blog address to me and my sister-in-law Mollie made the oreo and nutter butter truffles. They are delicious! My husband tasted them and got the stuff to make them right away. It’s fun to see your recipes and to see that cute pic of your family! Hope you’re doing well…

Hi Chani,
    Thanks for visiting my blog. Here’s an email to Lis from the daring baker’s : lamiacucina67@gmail.com
    Hope this works for you. Thanks for the reminder, I’ve got to get to work on this month’s challenge quickly!

Hi Stephanie!
    I have found it so fun to see how many old friends I’ve come in contact with due to this recipe blog. Great to have you here. I am a huge fan of those darn oreo/nutter butter truffles. They are a bit dangerous to have around the house! Hope you and your family enjoy! Thanks for commenting.

Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) says:

My kinda food. I love Mexican food and yours looks delicious.

Kevin says:

Taco night is always a good night! I like the new look of the blog!

Josh and Katy says:

Hi Chef Jenny. I found your blog through my friends and really enjoy it. We have tried some recipes already and they have all turned out great! Tonight we are making your coffee cake… looks delicious! Anyway, I wanted to say thank you for posting your recipes and taking the time to keep up your blog. I love it!