Feb
2008

If You Like Starbuck’s Coffee Cake…….

Tags:

Desserts

Four years ago, I participated in my very first cook-off and had no idea what I was getting into. At that Pillsbury Bake-off in Hollywood, CA I was so lucky to have met Beth R., who has become a wonderful friend that I enjoy keeping in touch with. Beth is the one who introduced me to the world of cooking contests which I have grown to love over the years! I have truly met some of the greatest people.

Just a few nights ago, Beth emailed me all sorts of great recipes that her and her family enjoy. This “Starbucks Coffee Cake” was one that I knew I just had to get my hands on! Luckily I had all the ingredients on hand and I was so excited to make it.

Starbucks always has the best looking baked goods! Needless to say this recipe is another keeper. Beth said it’s always a hit at Bake Sales and I can see why! The crunchy, buttery, cinnamon topping is so good, who needs Starbucks when you can make this cake right in your own kitchen! You’ve all got to try this one, it’s too easy and delicious to pass up!

Ok, maybe not good for the diet, but hey a little coffee cake is ok every now and then!

Beth’s Starbuck’s Coffee Cake

(half recipe)

1 Box Yellow Cake Mix (plus ingredients on back of box)

2 Sticks cold salted butter
2 1/4 Cups flour
1 1/2 Tablespoons cinnamon
1 ¾ Cups brown sugar
1 1/2 Tablespoons vanilla
Powdered sugar (for dusting)

PREHEAT oven to 350.

PREPARE cake mixe in large bowl according to directions on box. Spray 9X13 pan with non-stick spray. Pour batter into pan. Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes or until center is just barely set.

WHILE cakes are baking, prepare crumb topping. In large bowl of electric mixer combine, butter, flour, cinnamon, sugar and vanilla until all crumbly.

IMMEDIATELY after cake is removed from oven, break crumb topping into marble size pieces with fingers, sprinkling over top. Put back in oven and bake an additional 10-15 minutes (topping will begin to look a little less wet/raw). Let cool fully then dust with powdered sugar, using a sieve.

CUT into squares and serve.

****Beth doubles the recipe and uses a 8 or 9 inch baking dish in addition to the 9×13 inch dish, feel free to double it to make more if desired. I only had one cake mix, so decided to half it.**** 2 9X13 inch baking dishes would also work fine.

Comments

Mona says:

God!!
    The moment I read the recipe, I rushed to the kitchen and prepared everything……… Wow.. The result was satisfying..
    I’m wondering if I can add cream or frosting on it.. The cake is fab.. Thanks a lot for sharing it..

Mona says:

Oh.. Another thing to say… The pan I baked the cake in was small.. I wonder what kinda pans should I use.. And can I use the same recipe but on cupcakes?

Mdooloo says:

Made this for Mother’s Day Brunch today! DELICIOUS!

Magda says:

This was delicious. I just made this for the first time and used French Vanilla cake mix instead of yellow cake mix since it was all I had. It came out spectacular. The only bad thing was that I did not let the cake bake in the oven for long enough before adding the topping, so the middle of the crumbs is a huge deformed circle of actual cake and the crumbs went under. Those pieces weren’t terrible either. Over-all a huge success :)

Hi, i believe that i noticed you visited my website thus i got here to go back the desire?.I am trying to to find things to improve my website!I assume its ok to use some of your ideas!!

Jennifer Johnson says:

Found this on Pinterest. Made it for the family last night. It was wonderful. Thanks for a great recipe!

Lori says:

Can anyone stop with just eating one slice? I LOVE coffee cake!

Kim says:

I just wanted to tell you that I made this for my bride for her bridal shower as part of a tea that we put on for her. The guests loved it! I made the double batch and it wasn’t even enough and now I am getting requests to bring it for the holidays. Thank you so much for such a great cake!

deb monahan says:

Better than Starbucks the recipe reads and it is OH SO TRUE, I make this cake at least once a week for crowds of people, everyone loves it. Only thing I bake it about 25 min. In over before I add the crumbs because it looks to raw to put the crumbs on. It looks like the would sink into the said because there is so much crumbs. Other than that this is the best crumbs that I have every made, I I am a baker, love to bake, bake a few times a week. Thank you so much for this recipe :-)

kate says:

If you cut this (halved recipe) into 12 pieces, each piece is 600 calories.

sandra brewer says:

Please tell me how to get your blog or newsletter!
    This coffeecake is what got my attention, now i want more of your recipes.
    Please
    Sandra
    you can email me please

Kim says:

I made this last year for our church coffee hour. I have made it a least twice a month since (most times by request) Everyone loves it!!! So easy too :) Thanks for the recipe

Carla G says:

I just wanted to say thank you for this recipe. I have been using it for several years for my mommy who loves Starbucks coffee cake. For the past two years THIS is what she has asked for on Mother’s Day because she loves it so much. So THANK YOU, you have made both myself and my mom very happy.

Linda says:

Loved this recipe!! Have made it several times and always get compliments.

Tara says:

I just made this today and it turned out perfect! I made my cake (substituting butter for the called-for oil and brewed coffee for the called-for water). I poured it into my greased & floured pan and baked @ 350 for 20 minutes while I made the crumble. I then packed my crumble mixture into the half-cooked cake. I really pressed it in to allow all of my crumble to top my 9×13 pan. Put it back into the oven for another 20 minutes and it was done.
    We couldn’t even wait for it to cool, and I forgot the dusting of powdered sugar. So GOOD!
    Thanks so much.

Arlene Claudio says:

I know this is a recipe from 2008. But I just made it today! And oh my gosh is it delicious! My family loved it!

seo says:

This is very attention-grabbing, You are a very professional
    blogger. I have joined your feed and look forward to seeking extra of
    your great post. Also, I have shared your web site in my social networks

Fantastic web site. Lots of helpful information here.
    I am sending it to some friends ans additionally sharing in delicious.
    And of course, thanks to your effort!

Sharon Clair says:

What do you mean by barely set.

Karen says:

Super good recipe. I have difficulty w/making crumb topping. Don’t know what I am doing wrong but the crumbs are tiny like sugar granules. Any suggestions?

carrie says:

OK, so I just made this and it seems to be too gooey. It is baking now, but the cake mix is oozing out above the crumb topping. I followed instructions exactly, but this does not look to good right now. Maybe the center was not set enough before putting topping on. Seemed like a lot of topping for the cake. Will finish baking and post update after it is done.

carrie says:

OMG…this thing is never going to get done :) It has been baking for 45 min and the center is still not done. I just think it is too much butter in topping. The whole cake seems saturated. Will keep you posted. Looks pretty though.

Bonnie says:

I made this last night,and also had to cook additional 5 minutes before taking out the 1st time.Put the crumb topping on,let go an additional 10 minutes and perfection!!!Wonder if it’s OK to freeze?Excellent!!!Just what I was hoping for.