Mar
2008

You Feeling Blue?

Tags:

Cookies

This post was inspired by my husband today. I know I’m crazy, but something about a grown man in braces is absolutely adorable! My husband came home for lunch today to show off his nice new “metal mouth.” I tried to post a picture, but he didn’t think that was very funny.

So, why would a grown man, who doesn’t really need braces get braces? Well, this lucky duck won a free set from a raffle at his sister’s Dental Hygiene School. How lucky is that, they are worth $5600 bucks. However, tonight I don’t think he’s feeling so lucky! I had to laugh watching him eat his first lunch with them, pass up one of these cookies, and try to floss in under 45 minutes. Poor guy, I know he’ll get used to it!

So in honor of his somewhat of a “blue” day, I made some of my own “Blue and White Oatmeal Chippers,” which are to die for and guaranteed to cheer anyone up!

Blue and White Oatmeal Chippers
(for Mr. brace face)

1 Cup softened unsalted butter
3/4 Cup brown sugar
3/4 Cup sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/4 Cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 Cup quick oats
1 1/2 Cups frozen blueberries
1 Cup shredded sweetened coconut
1 bag white chocolate chips (12oz)

1. In a stand mixer, cream the butter, brown sugar and sugar until well combined. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Slowly add flour, baking soda, salt, quick oats, blueberries, coconut and chocolate chips until just combined.
2. Chill dough for a few hours until firm.
3. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Drop or scoop dough by the Tablespoonfuls onto a baking sheet and Bake for 9-11 minutes or until edges start to crisp. Cool for 5 minutes before transferring to cooling rack.

*I use a silpat lined baking sheet that works wonderfully*

Comments

Patsyk says:

Those look great! Would they freeze well? I ask because I really need to make up cookies to keep in the freezer for those occasions when I don’t have time to make something for guests.

JennDZ - The Leftover Queen says:

This looks great! I just love the color!

Hi Pastyk,
    I’ve frozen the dough and it’s just fine. Haven’t frozen the actual cookie though. Let me know if you freeze them and how it turns out.

Thanks Jenndz!

Emily says:

Ooooo – nothing like a new set of braces to put a damper on things! Ouchie!
    These look seriously yum! I’m totally going to try them out! :)

Ryley says:

Oh man..

I paid for my own braces when I turned 21.. had those on for about 9 months.. then had 1 more set for 6 months last year.. they are not fun!! I can’t beleive we do that to kids..

But.. on a side note.. these cookies look YUMMYY!! However, you should have made him mashed potatoes! Those were my saving grace when my teeth hurt!

I might have to try these cookies for work.. I feel like I bring the same thing all the time, I bet they could use something different!! :)

Deborah says:

I have never seen blueberries in cookies before – these look great!

Catherine Wilkinson says:

What a good wife you are!!! I’d just laugh and give mine a popsicle! Those cookies are seriously handsome! GREAT idea!
    But will the blueberries stain those beautiful teeth??? LOL
    He should take you out to dinner for making these cookies for him! I’m thinking…Crackers…and get the bread pudding! It’s soft!

RecipeGirl says:

Other than the coconut, these look delicious!

I got braces at 34 for cosmetic reasons… then I found out I was pregnant. So not only was my mouth full of icky braces, I was now going to become fat too!!

Kevin says:

Blueberry and white chocolate chip oatmeal cookies are a great idea. Bookmarked.

christy says:

Jenny… HI, I am in your sisters ward and I found your blog…I have to say, I LOVE IT!!! I have tried a few recipes and loved every one. I already made these cookies today and I loved them. Thanks for the great recipes. Keep up the good work. Christy

Melanie C. says:

Wow–I have never heard of blueberry cookies–they sound wonderful! I am a big blueberry fan–so I will definetly try these! Thanks! I wonder if dried blueberries would be good???

Kim A says:

Thanks again for these DELICIOUS cookies…you’re the best!

Emily,
    You’ll love these cookies, they are on my favorite list right now.

Ryle,
    I bet your work friends will love these, it’s nice to make something other than chocolate chip sometime!

Thanks Deborah!

Catherine,
    I haven’t been to Crackers in ages, it’s about darn time I go!! Hope that creep hasn’t called you back.

Recipegirl,
    Not a coconut fan either? I feel like I’m the only one in my family who loves it! I always get out ruled. My husband actually said he didn’t mind it in these.

Hi Kevin,
    Hope you enjoy!

Hi Christy,
    Glad to have you here. Aren’t these so yummy? Thanks for your comment.

Hi Melanie,
    I think the dried blueberries would be good too, they just won’t look blue like these with the frozen berries.

Oh Kimmy,
    No, you’re the best.

Anonymous says:

Woa now…Don’t say I didn’t mind the coconut shavings in these cookies w/out the reason. It is only because I couldn’t feel them as I chewed. Coconuts were made to drink first.

Husband.

Emiline says:

Poor guy! I know how he feels.
    I can’t believe how much the braces cost. I guess he’s lucky, in a way.

I think blueberry cookies sound wonderful! I’m a big fan of coconut.

Maxfield Family says:

hey Jenny! I want to know how you find out about all these baking contests! I love your recipes, thanks as always.
    heidi at Tasty Sensations
    heidisrecipes.blogspot.com

Husband,
    Glad you got your point across to my readers! Brace Face!

Glad to hear you are a coconut fan too Emiline! I love it!

Indy Daleys says:

Brace face, I love it. My husband had braces for two years right after we got married. No fun (especially since we had to pay for ours!)! OK, just made these cookies, and they are amazing. What’s up with not liking cocunut people? You don’t know what you’re missing! Bring on the coconut!

The Ricks Fix says:

I’ve never seen a recipe for blueberry cookies. I love blueberry anything and had to try them. They were really good!! My kids even liked them. Thanks for a new favorite recipe.

Indy Daleys,
    So glad to hear from another coconut fan!!

Holly,
    These are one of my new fav’s too!! Glad you like them.

Jaime says:

yum! what a great combination

Kameron says:

Double yum! I just made these today (I’m a little behind…) and we ADORE them. However, since we aren’t coconut fans (sorry!), I left that out and used almost 2 cups of oats instead. These are amazing! I wonder what a hint of lemon would do?? Hmmm… maybe I should make them again?! Ü

Christina says:

I just wanted to let you know that I love your site. You have the best recipes and I plan on trying all of them. I have a freezer full of fresh blueberries so I decided to try these cookies since I’ve never had blueberry cookies before and everyone loved them. After tasting the cookies I thought this recipe would make some delicious muffins so I altered the recipe alittle and what I got has to be my new favorite muffin recipe. I used 1 cup butter, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 2 eggs, 1 1/2 tsp vanilla, 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour, 1/2 tsp salt, 4 tsp baking powder, 1 1/4 cups oats, 2 cups blueberries, 1 cup coconut, 1 bag white chocolate chips, and 1 cup milk. I mixed all the wet ingredients together except the milk and all the dry ingredients together in another bowl. I added the flour mixture to the wet ingredients, alternating with the milk. Then I folded in the blueberries, coconut and chocolate chips. I baked the muffins at 375 for 20-25 minutes. The only problem that I had with the muffins was they fell apart because they we’re so tender if you tried to eat them hot out of the oven, but I did make my kids wait to eat the last one until it cooled off completely just to see if I needed to alter the recipe any and they we’re perfect once they cooled off. Hope you don’t mind me posting this recipe, but your site just inspires me to get in the kitchen and bake.

Brittney says:

These were sooo good!! I ate half the batch. Now tied for my favorite cookie of all time. So good.

Jamie says:

This looks so yummy. Great because the dodgers are in the playoffs. Are you supposed to defrost the blueberries before you put them in?

[...] PS I made blue and white cookies for the game (the reason that pacing back and forth didn’t result in weight loss… eating a lot of cookies tends to negate nervous energy spent).  It was the second time I have made these cookies, they are delicious and you can find a recipe here. [...]

Alisa says:

Oooh – these are interesting! Have you ever tried substituting the blueberry flavor Craisins for the frozen blueberries? I tried those recently and thought they’d be tasty in a cookie. I’d leave out the coconut though (and maybe the white chocolate chips too) if I did that and would also add walnuts.