Mar
2008

Beautiful Arugula Salad with Famous Biscuits

Tags: , ,

This arugula salad is one of my favorites. It’s so simple yet beautiful at the same time. The combination of the peppery arugula, gorgonzola and toasted pecans with the sweet poppy dressing is so good.

This dressing is one that I’ve developed over the years and use in many of other salads as well. It goes great with the strawberry spinach salad that everyone makes. It’s even good over iceberg lettuce. Keep it on hand for parties, it’s always a hit.

I would say this salad appeals to mostly women. The guys get freaked out by arugula for some reason. I’ve recently gotten my husband into arugula but he won’t touch the blue cheese or pecans. At any rate, kick your feet up and treat yourself to this “restaurant quality” style salad and Enjoy!

Arugula Salad with Gorgonzola, Toasted Pecans and Raspberry Poppyseed Dressing

8 heaping cups fresh baby arugula leaves

Dressing (enough for about 4 dinner salads)
2 Tablespoons Raspberry Balsamic Vinegar or just Raspberry Vinegar
¼ Cup sugar
Pinch of salt
½ Cup Canola Oil
1 Tablespoon poppyseeds

1/4 Cup crumbled gorgonzola (add more if you are a blue cheese fan)
1 Cup toasted pecans (baked at 350 for 10-15 minutes until fragrant)

1. Place arugula leaves into a large mixing bowl. Place raspberry vinegar, sugar and salt into a blender and blend for 15 seconds. With blender running on low, slowly drizzle canola oil in until emulsified. Pour into serving bowl and stir in poppyseeds.

2. Drizzle dressing slowly over arugula leaves while gently tossing to coat. Place onto 4 serving dishes. Top each salad with gorgonzola and toasted pecans.

Buttermilk Goat Cheese Drop Biscuits
Did anyone catch Oprah last week when she had her former personal chef, Art Smith, on her show? I happened to have the tv on that day and was so excited because he was giving out some of his restaurant’s recipes. He left Oprah to open his own restaurant in Chicago named Table Fifty-two. Apparently it’s booked out for weeks in advance, I’d love to try it.

When his guests sit down at their tables the servers bring out these beautiful Buttermilk Goat Cheese Drop Biscuits. I hurried to my computer and printed off the recipe. I’m not even a biscuit fan, but these are incredible. They are soft, flaky and tasty with Parmesan Cheese sprinkled on top right after they come out of the oven. I love that they are cooked in a cast iron skillet too. It took a whole 20 minutes from start to finish to make these. See the link below for the recipe.

Click HERE for these Buttermilk Goat Cheese Biscuits on Oprah’s Website.

Comments

Steph says:

Yum! I’ve really been into salads lately! And I always have to have bread with my salads. They look wonderful!

Christine says:

I love arugula and so does my fiance. We use it in sandwiches and salads all the time. This dressing sounds great! I’m always making my own dressings so this will be next on my list.

Birdie says:

I didn’t catch the Oprah show but the bisquits look fabulous! Being a southern girl bisquits are one of my favorites!

KacieFlake says:

Wow, we sure married Flakes! Derek would be the exact same way with the pecans and cheese! This salad looks fabulous, as well as those biscuits!

Emiline says:

This looks like a beautiful salad! I love toasted pecans, gorgonzola, and arugula.
    The biscuits look great, too. You need to start a restaurant!

Deborah says:

I’m so jealous of all of you that can buy arugula. I rarely find it here, and when I do, it’s like $10 for 4 leaves. Hopefully one day!

Dave and Tricia Folsom Family Fun says:

Jenny – I was thinking about you the other day as I was watching Rachel Ray. She is having a big cooking contest and the winner gets some awesome prizes! You should check it out because you have such great original recipes and you could definitely be a finalist. You win a new kitchen and a trip to Paris and some fun cooking classes while you are in Paris. Anyway – all your recipes have been looking so good! I show them to my husband and ask him if any look good and he always says they ALL look good!

Thanks Steph!

Hi Christine,
    I love arugula in sandwiches too, it’s great. Hope you enjoy!

Birdie,
    These are really good biscuits!

Kacie,
    Crazy Flake Boys! They don’t know what they are missing!

Thanks Emiline!
    No restaurant business for this girl. I’ve always wanted to work in a great restaurant’s kitchen to get some great recipes though!

Deborah,
    I can’t believe arugula is so expensive where you are! I am lucky to be in AZ where it is really reasonable. Especially at Trader Joes.

Hi Tricia,
    Thanks for the heads up on the Rachel Ray contest. I’m surprised I haven’t heard about it. I’ll have to go check it out. Hope you and your family are doing well!!

Tracy says:

I have a huge bag of self-rising flour in the pantry and was just thinking I need to use it up … and I have goat cheese to use up in the fridge! I’ve gotta try those biscuits. They look great!

RecipeGirl says:

I LOOOOOVE arugula (and my hubby does too.) He’ll actually eat everything I put in front of him so I’m lucky!

Those goat cheese biscuits sound intriguing as well.

Great Tracy,
    Break out the old Cast Iron skillet and whip up a batch, they are terrific!

Recipe girl,
    Thats so nice your husband isn’t a picky eater, I’m working little by little with mine. I will say, he’s gotten much better over the years!!

Jaime says:

that episode of oprah was actually a re-run, i can’t remember when i made those biscuits last, but i remember them being good! :)

Taryn says:

Thank you for all the yummy salad recipes. I am super excited to try them all! I just printed several of them so that I can get started.