Mar
2008

Daring Bakers, Ready to Party!

Tags:

Desserts

This was a nice challenge this month. I’m always up for making a beautiful cake! Our challenge this month was to make the “Perfect Party Cake” Courtesy of Dorie Greenspan’s Baking from My Home to Yours. This was a very simple yet elegant cake that can be done in so many ways. As long as we baked the cake and made the frosting, everything else was free game. I chose a blueberry theme, which was phenomenal! I also chose to press chopped white chocolate onto the sides of my cake.

I’m not one for taking pictures of each and every step, but I had to snap a photo of this beautiful lemon sugar. Not only was it so beautiful, but it smelled so good, like a dream! So here’s my one step by step photo!

Here’s the beautiful blueberry top of my cake. I used frozen blueberries and they held up very nicely. By the time we cut into the cake, they had softened.

Here’s the inside layers. I spread a blueberry fruit spread then the frosting over that. It was really good. I love the blue color.

Our Hostess this month, Morven, over at Food Art and Random thoughts, challenged us all to make this delicious cake. Please check out her blog to get the complete recipe. Be sure to check out all of the other Daring Baker’s Party Cakes!

Comments

bakingblonde says:

YUM! I love blueberries! Your cake looks so light with great texture. How beautiful!

Karen says:

What a big, beauty of a cake! Your layers look nice and puffed. I can just taste how good the blueberries pair with the lemon flavors.

And I just noticed you’re now on Blogher. Yippee!

Karen says:

That’s a big beauty of a cake, Jenny. The layers look nice and puffy, and I bet that the blueberries pair up nicely with the lemony cake. Nice work!

Also see that you’re on Blogher now. Yippee!

Kristen says:

Ooh, I love the blueberries! I love the picture of the lemon sugar. What a great cake.

Kristen says:

Beautiful cake! I love the beautiful bluberries on top and the picture of the lemon sugar…amazing. What did you use on the sides of your cake?

amanda. says:

Looks great! I bet it was delicious with the blueberries. I’m going to try that next time.

Patsyk says:

My new oven didn’t come in time for me to participate this month, so I am living vicariously through everyone else who made the cake! Yours looks fantastic!

Deborah says:

I love the blue color!! What did you put on the outside of the cake? I love the look of it!

RecipeGirl says:

Looks like it turned out great! What did you put on the sides of your cake?

PheMom says:

Very pretty. I love all the blueberries. I absolutely loved rubbing the sugar too, but I did orange. Great cake!

Sarah says:

My favorite flavor combination – lemon and blueberry. Great job, the cake looks great!

Hi Everyone,
    I forgot to mention I pressed white chocolate on the outside. Thanks for all the nice comments!

Claire says:

BLUEBERRY…what a fantastic idea! I just love blueberries and the white chocolate addition (I was trying to figure out what that was!) is perfect. This makes me want to try this cake again.

Jerry says:

Beauty! Love the blueberries and the texture!

Proud Italian Cook says:

Amazing Jenny! Your combination of flavors, blueberries, white chocolate, does sound “phenomenal!” and it looks pretty too!

Steph says:

Jenny your cake looks absolutely gorgeous! The blueberries look awesome!

A. Grace says:

blueberries + white chocolate = quite possibly the best combination of all time.

your cake is stunning! :)

Emiline says:

BEAUTIFUL! Yours is the first I’ve seen that uses blueberries.
    I bet the white chocolate and blueberry was delicious.

I checked out your sister’s clothes. They are cute! My sister is starting a website, where she sells pet clothing.

CB says:

I also had to take a picture of hte lemon zest+sugar. It smells so good. That deep purple blueberry color looks amazing with the cake. Great job!
    Clara @ I♥food4thought

Karen says:

Beautiful cake! I agree, blueberries are amazing on this cake. Very clever to use white chocolate to decorate, wish I had thought of that! Well done!

StickyGooeyCreamyChewy says:

That’s a beautiful cake! Blueberry and lemon is such a great combination. Well done!

Gretchen Noelle says:

I think the blueberries look so great with the white cake! Wonderful job!

The Baker & The Curry Maker says:

Oh yeah! Blueberries and white chocolate! Great idea. I went the traditional route, but am looking forward to trying something else next time. Well done, it looks gorgeous.

Tracy says:

Ack! I almost forgot to post!

Yours turned out great. My son’s favorite fruit is blueberries but I did strawberries.

Gotta go finish my post!

Anne says:

Blueberry flavour sounds wonderful! The cake is simply lovely:)

Barbara Bakes says:

Your layers are so perfect! Your cakes must have risen beautifully. Looks delicious!

Megan says:

I love it with the blueberrys. Very pretty color and I love the white chocolate on the sides!

MyKitchenInHalfCups says:

Hooray for blueberries and lemon sugar! Jenny this is such a classic the way you’ve done it. I would love to try this one!

Kim A says:

That looks like an award winning cake! Thanks again for the 27 layer cake you brought tonight! You’re the best :D

Rosa's Yummy Yums says:

Your cake looks marvelous! I love that blueberry version! Very well done!

Cheers,

Rosa

Suzana says:

Your cake turned out so lovely and charming. I love the blueberries on top and the perfect layers! Great job!

TERESA says:

wow¡¡¡¡¡ wonderful job¡¡¡¡

Congratulations¡¡¡

Kevin says:

Your cake looks so good! I really like the blueberry and white chocolate combo.

HoneyB says:

Jenny as always I LOVE your photos. I also love the blueberries! Beautiful cake!

ruthEbabes says:

Wow! Such a pretty cake! I’m sure it was delicious too!

Cinnamonda says:

Lovely cake, Jenny! I, too, loved the smell of the lemon sugar. :) And thank you so much for visiting my blog.

Greetings,
    Tiina

Julie says:

Hi Jenny,

What a big beautiful blueberry cake–great flavor idea along with the white chocolate! I love seeing all of the different DB creations. YUM!

Catherine Wilkinson says:

oh, babycakes! This is amazing!
    White chocolate and blueberries…match made in heaven.
    Where did this cake go, Jenny?
    Did you give it away, or did the boys have at it??

rvan says:

ok, so I checked out many other daring bakers cakes yesterday and i have to say yours’ was the most beautiful one! and I looked at about 30 of them hoping to find one that even compared to yours’….and nothing. You are the “daring baker”!!

michelle @ TNS says:

ooh, i love the color of the blueberry jam mixed with buttercream. yum!

Dave says:

Your cake looks great! I was thinking of going with blueberries, but the fresh raspberries just looked so good to me. After looking at your pictures, I’m going to have to try a blueberry cake in the future. Nice touch with the white chocolate.

I love how tall your cake looks. Mine didn’t turn out like that, even though it still tasted good.

Lesley says:

The height you got on that cake is fantastic. I also like the addition of blueberries.

Birdie says:

The cake looks great! I am a big blueberry fan too.

I finally got mine up, I got a little mixed up on the dates

Stephanie says:

Jenny, did you bake two 9″ rounds to get these tall layers? I have checked out all of the other Daring Bakers and your cake is by far the tallest. Thanks!

Thanks again for everyone’s nice comments.

Stephanie come to think about it, I couldn’t find my 9 inch pans the morning I baked it, so I used my 8 inch pans. No wonder mine looks taller! I forgot I used those!

Beth G. says:

OOHH, I bet it rocked the heezie with Blueberries- good call and beautiful cake!

Passionate baker...& beyond says:

Beautiful colour, beautiful texture … a cake to die for! It’s PERFECT Jenny! I love the way it looks, blueberries & all; WOW…wish I could have had a bite too! It’s fabulous!!

Sheltie Girl says:

You did a fabulous job on your cake! I used white chocolate in the frosting and it was fabulous. I love your white chocolate decorations on the side.

Natalie @ Gluten A Go Go

Kameron says:

How very very yummy!! I’ve been addicted to blueberries lately, and lemon is one of my most favorite flavors (and scents, actually), *plus* white chocolate is heavenly, so this cake is most likely PERFECT! I’ll have to find a reason to try it ASAP…

Jaime says:

beautiful cake! your layers look so perfect…. i am still learning how to perfect layer cakes! i love the blueberry top and white chocolate outside