Apr
2008

Oh How I Love Pasta…

Tags: , , ,

Dinner

What a nice day it’s been. I was able to go to my heated yoga this morning that I love. It’s amazing how good you feel after you’re done. We won’t discuss how you feel during the class though!

After school, the boys had a picnic under the trampoline with their buddies. The weather is so beautiful, I’m sad that it’s not going to last much longer!

What a yummy dinner this turned out to be a few nights ago. Staring at me in the fridge was some spinach, gorgonzola cheese and some beautiful asparagus that needed use up, so I whipped up this pasta and what a hit it was with the family.

Don’t be afraid of the gorgonzola in the sauce, it’s very mild and gives the best flavor with the parmesan cheese. I was so proud of myself for using lowfat milk in the sauce rather than a heavy cream. I must say, it’s really good and I would have never known I used lowfat milk if I hadn’t been the one to make it.

This dinner was so good that we had it for a second night. When re-heating, make sure to add a little milk to loosen the sauce. Enjoy everyone!

Spinach and Asparagus Chicken Linguini in a Parmesan Gorgonzola Cream Sauce

12 oz uncooked linguini pasta
1 Bunch asparagus tips
2 Tablespoons butter
2 Tablespoons flour
Pinch of salt and pepper
3 Cups lowfat milk
1 ¼ Cups crumbled gorgonzola
¼ Cup grated Parmesan cheese
4 Cups baby spinach
2 medium size chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
10 strips precooked bacon, crisped and crumbled
Pinch of salt and pepper to taste

1. Prepare linguini according to package directions. Drain and set aside. Bring a medium saucepan filled ¾ full of water to boil. Place asparagus tips in hot water and cook for 3 minutes. Remove and place into a bowl of ice water to shock and stop cooking. Set aside.

2. Place butter into a large dutch oven or pot over medium heat to melt. Whisk in flour, pinch of salt and pepper until combined. Slowly whisk in milk. Increase heat to medium high. While whisking, heat until milk comes to a light boil. Reduce heat to low and immediately stir in parmesan and gorgonzola until melted. Stir in chopped spinach, linguini, asparagus, chicken and half the bacon. Gently toss to coat, season with pinches of salt and pepper to taste. Serve in a large serving bowl and garnish top with remaining crumbled bacon pieces.

Comments

Deborah says:

Sometimes when I am trying to cut out cream in dishes like this, I use nonfat evaporated milk. Can’t taste the difference!

This looks so delicious and spring-like. I’m craving some pasta now!

Emiline says:

I love pasta too! I was thinking about making some tonight.

It looks great!

Rachel says:

Yummy. I love gorgonzola on pasta.

Barbara Bakes says:

Looks delicious! I love your new design.

RecipeGirl says:

Hmmm. I think my kiddo would actually eat all of the ingredients in that pasta dish! I love gorgonzola too. Are you working on a cookbook yet? You really should, you know!

Great tip Deborah, I’ll have to pick some up next time I’m grocery shopping.

Hi Emiline,
    Enjoy your pasta night.

Thanks Rachel,
    I too love gorgonzola!

Thanks Barbara

Hi Lorie,
    My two young boys ate this pasta no problem, even the asparagus. I keep all of my recipes on file and would love to someday write a cookbook, we’ll see.

What A Dish! says:

This looks SO delicious! I really need to make this.

Bonnie says:

Good way to hide spinach from my hubby! He loves asparagus so I’ll trick him. Definitely will try it. Where do you get your coconut cake mix for the coconut cupcakes? I haven’t seen it. Maybe use coconut flavoring in white cake mix – duh!!

Kevin says:

That pasta looks so good! I really like a gorgonzola sauce and I like the combo with chicken, asparagus, spinach and bacon.

Stephanie says:

Holy Freakin” Yum!

Pasta, Bacon, Asparagus & Cheese……I’m in HEAVEN!

giz says:

The dish is perfect – now the heated yoga – G-d save me – I did it once – couldn’t walk for days and thought I’d have to be in a body cast for the rest of my life. I’ll stick to Hatha – at least I feel like I’ll live after 75 minutes.

Proud Italian Cook says:

Nice header Jenny! Your pasta looks scrumptious!

Stephanie says:

Hey, I came across your blog some time ago, and I’ve been “lurking” for a while now. I just wanted to say that your food pictures are absolutely beautiful! You make such yummy-looking dishes, and do a great job photographing them. :)

Stephanie
    Fun Foods

Kuckie says:

YUM!!! That looks awesome!! I’ll have to try it out…thanks!

Kristen says:

K – so my friend Stacy told me about this blog and WOW! I am totally trying these recipes. Thanks for sharing!!!
    I couldn’t resist commenting – Great blog! I am adding it to my favs!

Steph says:

Sounds delicious Jenny! Another great pasta dish from Picky Palate. You are amazing! I wish my brain worked like yours!

rvan says:

This looks sooo good, we are such a creamy sauce family!!! My little ones are going to love it….but my thighs aren’t!!! Oh well gotta run…literally!

Brooke says:

I just stumbled across your blog recently. . . My ENTIRE menu for next week is all from you! Thank you!

I am SO VERY impressed that your boys will eat the food. I have one of the pickiest eaters known to mankind. . . luckily I can just blend up the veggies and hide them in the food he will eat.

I believe I read you are in AZ. . . Good luck with the heat! We just moved from Gilbert to Texas, right now I am LOVING SPRING, something that doesn’t last long there :) But I definitely missed my AZ winter this year.

Zen Chef says:

Oh my, this look so delicious. My kind of pasta dish! And with gorgonzola?..pure heaven! I’m buying the house next to you, me want leftovers! hehe

Patsyk says:

Oh, that looks so wonderfuly and creamy – even without the heavy cream! We’ll definitely have to try this one. My list from your blog is getting so long!

Chuck says:

That looks so good and your making me hungry. Delicious!

Kristen says:

That looks so tasty!

Gina says:

This looks delish! I love pasta!

The Baker & The Curry Maker says:

Every single thing you have in this dish is my favourite. You have made my moth water, yum!

careymc says:

I CANNOT wait to make this – YUM! How fun to meet Robin Miller – I love her show. I’m convinced you’ll have one of your own someday. :) I’ve missed you on MC.
    PS – made my blog private. If you are interested in seeing it, email me: bono40@aol.com. Carey

What A Dish! says:

I made this last night for dinner and it was SO good! The whole fam loved it- even the kids (ages 1, 3 and 5). We couldn’t get enough! The only change I made was to use whole wheat fettucini.

Erika says:

This looks great, I love your site!

Becky says:

I just made this tonight and it rocks! I am so excited to find a recipe that I can find all the ingredients for in Europe. Sometimes things looks so good and then I can’t get the ingredients here. This one will be made again for sure! I have made a few of your other recipes as well and they are always a hit. Thanks for sharing.

Sick and tired of obtaining low numbers of useless visitors for your site? Well i want to share with you a brand new underground tactic which makes myself $900 every day on 100% AUTOPILOT. I could truthfully be here all day and going into detail but why dont you merely check their website out? There is a great video that explains everything. So if your seriously interested in producing simple money this is the website for you. Auto Traffic Avalanche