Jun
2008

Great Way to Use Leftovers: Adobo Chicken Salad on Cheddar Onion Pockets

Tags: ,

Dinner

Happy Father’s Day Everyone! The day’s about over, but hope everyone has enjoyed spending time with the Father’s in their lives and ate some great food! I think I’ve probably gained about 5 pounds with all the food we’ve consumed this weekend, yikes back to yoga and pilates this week!

For any of you who were huge Tastespotting fans like myself, knows they had to shut down for some legal issue. I found another cool site that posts droolworthy pictures and links to the recipes. So be sure to check out Food Gawker and send in those yummy photos .

Thought I’d post my latest while everyone is still napping in my house: Yummy Adobo Chicken Salad using up the sweet corn from my Father’s Day Dinner. This is one of my new favorite chicken salads. It’s got a perfect sweet and smoky flavor that’s mild enough for even the kids!

The boys and I got out our big box of Ritz crackers and had a hay day digging in. It’s great on a sandwich and perfect as a snack on crackers. I got my cheddar onion rolls from Sprouts, but any nice soft roll will do.

Enjoy the rest of your day, we’re off to pig out at my mom’s house! I’ll be back soon with a quick weeknight dinner and an easy cheesecake bar dessert! Oh and that 60 second lunch, that I can’t seem to photograph, it never lasts that long on the plate, it’s all coming soon!

Here’s my special helper that kept inching closer and closer to my photo shoot again. Little rascal, Hawaiian Punch mustache and all!

Adobo Chicken Salad on Cheddar Onion Pockets

2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken (Costco has a great one)
1 1/2 Cups mayonnaise
1/2 Cup left over Sweet Sauteed Corn recipe
3 Tablespoons chopped cilantro
1 Tablespoon Adobo sauce
1 Tablespoon lime juice
pinch of salt
pinch of pepper
Cheddar onion pockets (from Sprouts) or other nice soft rolls
spinach leaves

1. Combine first 8 ingredients into a large bowl until combined. Spread onto nice soft rolls lined with spinach leaves. Enjoy!

Comments

Prudy says:

I’m all for that sandwich! Looks yummy and I love your little superheroes saving the world, one meal at a time.

My Sweet & Saucy says:

Those Cheddar Onion Pockets look killer! Great recipe!

Lisa says:

What yummy looking sandwiches! And unbelievably cute kids!

Hi Prudy,
    I wish we had some left over salad, it was so tasty! Yah, I have superhero’s around my house all the time! What would I do with a little girl?

Thanks sweet and saucy!

Thanks Lisa!

Emiline says:

Aw, he’s so cute! I want one. Someday.
    He’s going to get mad at you for posting those pictures when he’s in junior high…ha ha

The chicken salad looks great!

The Downtown Boutique says:

Those chicken sandwiches look wonderful! We love chicken sandwiches, so we might just have to try this one, and maybe add it to our faves. Thanks for sharing.

Angie

I thought the same thing Emiline, guess I’ll take advantage while he’s young!

Thanks Angie,
    Hope you enjoy!

Kevin says:

That sandwich looks really tasty!

Kim A says:

Yummy! I love all your new posts! Your Father’s Day “peach chicken” sounds SO good!

Steph says:

Jenny that sandwich is beautiful! What a great idea! You need to open your own little bistro! It would be an amazing place!

Tara LaRue says:

I was invited for dinner last night (Monday night) and the hostess totally made this dinner, down to the same rolls and everything. I had no idea she got the recipe from this website (one of my favorites). It was divine! Thanks for sharing!

Thanks Kevin!

Oh Kimmy,
    Thanks you little cutie! It was an awesome dinner. We’ll have to make it for one of our Sunday dinners at Mom’s.

Hi Steph,
    I’ve always thought it’d be fun to have a soup and sandwich cafe. I bet it’s more work than I’d like!

Hi Tara
    That is so cool, thanks for sharing that story. Glad you enjoyed the sandwiches. I’m ready to make them again!

Clumbsy Cookie says:

How lucky are you? Your cute superheros also doble as helpers! That sandwich looks just perfect for the hot weather, anything with cilantro ans I’m in!

www.adorn-jewelry.blogspot.com says:

This comment has nothing to do with this recipe. But it seems to me you are a huge fan of peanut butter, Jenny. I thought you might find it funny that my 4 year old decided to add peanut butter and honey to his hot dog with ketchup tonight. he loved it and ate the whole thing! i think he might love peanut butter even more than you do!
    emily

Proud Italian Cook says:

Adorable kids! Terrific sandwich!

Deborah says:

Oooh, this sounds so wonderful! I think I would be the one digging in with the Ritz crackers!

Sharon says:

Your little guy is adorable. This is definitely a great way to use leftovers. I’m bookmarking this one!

HaydnTaysMommy says:

This blog is my favorite find! I would say this is recipe #12 or so that I’ve tried of yours in the last month. You never cease to amaze me. Delicious, creative and easy. My family is lovin’ this. Thanks :)

Linda says:

My daughter clued me into your blog last week, and I am so glad! I have loved reading thru your past posts and trying out some of your recipes. I am really excited about the chicken salad recipe. Next week, I am hosting a post-wedding, pre-reception luncheon for about 80 people and the chicken salad recipe looks like a perfect candidate for the buffet bar! Thanks ever so much!
    P.S. – Which Flake family are you part of? I have never been in a ward or neighborhood without at least 2 Flake descendants.

Kristen says:

Another incredible looking dish! My mouth is watering.

Lore says:

That sandwich work like a magnet on me. SCRUMPTIOUS doesn’t even cover it!

Rina the Mama Bear says:

This sounds fabulous – I’m linking it in my Link Love post!

CrabbyMom says:

Hi, I made the corn recipe last night and I just made the chicken salad with the left over corn. It is FABULOUS!! BUT, please tell me that you only used 1/2 cup of mayo rather than 1 1/2 cups? I used 1/2 cup and it is PLENTY. I think that I could have gotten by with less, it is plenty gooey. The flavor of the adobo sauce is unbelievable. Thanks for such great ideas!! I put my chicken salad on a whole wheat tortilla with lettuce. We put practically everything on tortilla’s around here though. Thanks again.