Jul
2008

The Good Vs. The Oh So Bad…

Tags:

Since I’ve been cooking my Farmer’s Market veggi’s like crazy, I thought I’d add in a bonus asparagus recipe along with my newest favorite brownie concoction. Kind of hard for asparagus to compete with brownies in the same post, but they do just fine on their own if you ask me. It’s definitely my favorite way to cook up asparagus these days. Ok, let’s start with the Good….(even though there’s cheese and pancetta, I’m still counting this as good)

I’ve made this recipe 2 times in the last 3 days and find myself licking my fingers clean it is so good. This is definitely more for the older child/adult. My 10 year old niece loved it but my little guys not so much. I’m still working on them, I don’t think they can appreciate goat cheese just yet!.

The crisped pancetta and goat cheese are the perfect pair here. I highly recommend this one, I’m sure I’ll be making it tomorrow too! I’ve also been fiddling around with fresh haricot vert (fancy for green beans) and I am in love with those too, the recipe and pics will be coming soon.

Crisp Pancetta Sauteed Asparagus with Goat Cheese Crumbles

2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
4 thin slices pancetta, diced
1 Bunch asparagus, ends trimmed, about 1 lb
Pinch of salt
Crumbled Goat Cheese

1. Heat oil into a large skillet over medium heat. When hot, cook pancetta until starts to brown, reduce to medium low.

2. Drop asparagus into boiling water for 60 seconds. With a large slotted spoon, transfer asparagus to skillet. Season with a pinch of salt. Cook and stir for 2-3 minutes or until heated through. Transfer asparagus and pancetta to a serving plate and top with crumbled goat cheese.

Ok, so now for the Oh so bad. Yes, these Chocolate Stuffed Butterfinger Brownies are certainly not in the healthy food group but let me tell you, this simple little brownie recipe I put together last week had everyone at our last birthday party raving. No one could believe they were from a mix, shhhhh don’t tell anyone. They really take just minutes to prepare and you’ll be on your way to impressing all your family and friends. Just don’t do like I did and give most of them away before everyone had one. It didn’t go over well at all!

Go and round up those Giant Hersey’s Bars when they are on sale, you’ll break it into squares and hide them inside the brownies. You’ll find a fun chocolaty surprise!

The Butterfinger top gets slightly crisp and wonderful. Love these.

Chocolaty Centered Butterfinger Brownies

1 brownie mix 9×13 size
1 6oz bar of chocolate broken into 12 pieces
6 fun size Butterfinger Bars or 2 full size, crushed (I used a rolling pin)

1. Prepare brownie batter according to package directions. Use a cookie scoop and fill paper lined muffin tins ½ full of brownie batter. Place 1 chocolate bar square into each cup and top with remaining brownie mix. Top with crushed Butterfinger.

2. Bake at 350 degrees F. for 29-32 minutes or until brownies are cooked through. Make sure they are cooked through completely or the centers will cave in the middle. I took mine out at about 29 minutes and they were great. Let cool for 10 minutes, then dig in!

Here’s me and my cutie pie “Bunka” on his 78th birthday last week. When I was a little tyke I called him Bunka instead of grandpa, now he is known as Bunka by just about everyone. Isn’t he the cutest thing!? Love you cutie!
_________________________________

Thank you so much to Kimberly from Take a nothing day, make it all worthwhile, for thinking of me for this Smile Award! She has a fantastic uplifting blog. If it wasn’t so darn late, I’d pass it on to some fellow bloggers right now, but I’ll put that on my list for next week. Thanks again!!

Coming up soon are 2 breakfast/brunch recipes that’ll send your tastebuds through the roof and of course some more fun farmer’s market cooking. Have a great weekend!

Comments

Barbara Bakes says:

Your asparagus looks so good I want to run over to a farmers market right now!

HoneyB says:

Oh, both recipes look delicious! Where’s the milk? lol

Heather says:

Your brownie creations never end! I ♥ it~! And have so many to try and the asparagus looks divine. Well done!

Patsyk says:

Wow! Both of those recipes have my mouth watering at breakfast time! LOL! Fantastic photos by the way!

Sharon says:

I guess I'm bad…I scrolled right through the good (though it looked tasty) because I wanted to get to the 'bad' stuff :)

Cute pic of you & your grandpa – he looks like a sweetie!

~Priscilla~ says:

that asparagus looks delicious, especially with the cheese and bacon. i first thought that was feta cheese but once you said goat cheese, i realized it wasn’t! wow, those brownies look delicious. i *know* everyone here would love them, so fo course i will be making them. what a cute picture of you jenny!

jeri says:

That asparagus looks SO good! My husband really likes it so I’ll have to keep that recipe on hand.

Sara says:

Goodness…those brownies are making my mouth water just looking at them. You have got the best brownie ideas. We will just have to try them out.

Kimberly says:

As always…these look amazing! I am pretty seriously thinking about those stuffed brownies…I might not be able to hold back. This might be love!

Hi Barbara,
    I know, I need to go back and get more.

Thanks Honeyb,
    Yes, pour lots of milk!

Thanks Heather,
    I don’t know why I am so addicted to new brownies!

Thanks Patsy!

Funny Sharon,
    I knew the poor asparagus probably wouldn’t be the favorite here!

Thanks so much Pricilla!

Thanks Jeri,
    Yah, it is a great way to enjoy asparagus.

Thanks Sara!

Hi Kimberly,
    Treat yourself to some brownies this weekend!!

Deborah says:

As good as those brownies sound, I’m really wanting some of that asparagus! I can see why you’ve made it so many times already!

Emiline says:

Your brownie-butterfinger concoction looks so delicious!

I really love the asparagus with pancetta and goat cheese though. The pictures are great. The asparagus is so vibrant.

Clumbsy Cookie says:

Goat cheese and pancetta and you have me happy! I’m not the asparagus kind but I have to tell you your look perfectly cooked, their “greeniness” is beautiful. About the brownies I can only say one thing: I want one now!!!!!!!!!
    Grandpa is a cutie thing and so are you!

I’m with you Deborah, I’m all over the asparagus, although I guess I’d have a brownie too!

Thanks Emiline,
    The asparagus was ultra vibrant, love it!

Hi Rita,
    Hard to go wrong with goat cheese and pancetta huh!

Lisa says:

Mmmmmn! I could eat the asparagus as my dinner and the brownies as dessert!

bunny says:

the asparagus looks good….but i wanna be bad !! those brownies look great!! that’s my terrible sweet tooth talking!!

Brandon and Erica says:

Hi Jenny! I am one of those “silent readers” that never comment, but ALWAYS check your blog for the latest recipe.

This oh-so-bad brownie recipe is JUST what I needed! We have to bring a dessert to my niece’s baby blessing on Sunday, and I have no time to bake anything! This will be the most perfect, easy, feed-a-lot-of-people dessert ever!

Thank you :-). Keep the recipes coming!

Also, do you mind if I put your blog on my links?

Melanie says:

you are by far my favortie blog site to go to! we had the tuscan house chicken with the carrots and green beans!! OHMYGOODNESS!!! I want to make the brownies…just trying to think of a time to make them, so that my family won’t be the only ones to gain weight from them! ;) thanks for sharing all of the wonderful recipes!! you rock!

Jeena says:

You are the queen of brownies Jenny! They always look so amazing. I love teh soft centre yummy. :-)

I chuckled when I read about ‘Bunka’ it is so cute. It is so funny how when kids say words now that we can start saying them too, sweet! :-D

Prudy says:

I’m all over those veggies. Aren’t I strange-I would choose the asparagus over the brownies. Although, I’d really want both-but if I had to choose. Cute pic with Bunka and congrats on another award.

Tracy says:

That asparagus recipe looks amazing! I love just about anything with goat cheese. Great photo with you and your Bunka!

Me too Lisa!

Hi Bunny, go enjoy some Butterfinger Brownies!!

Hi Erica,
    Please do add me to your blog list, that’s great! Thanks for taking the time to comment. I really enjoy reading them!! Come back soon!

Melanie,
    Thanks so much for your kind comment! Glad to hear your family enjoyed the Tuscan Chicken Dinner, I really love that one. I’m the same way when I bake, it’s got to be a time when I can take a big plate to share!

Thanks Jeena, I still get a kick everytime my boys say Bunka knowing that’s what I started!

Hi Prudy,
    I’ve been the same way lately. Just love those veggis!

Thanks Tracy!

Dream Big says:

I just found your blog & am amazed at the wonderful recipies…I have emailed your blog address to my family & friends who love to cook too.

I love the pictures along with the recipies…you do a great job.

I can't wait to get cooking!

Thanks,
    Jamie
    Washington State

Jamie,
    Thank you so much for your comment and for passing me on to family and friends. Glad you found my blog!

You’ll have to keep me posted on the recipes you try out!! Please feel free to email with any questions. Come back soon!

Andrew's Mom says:

The brownies look great – I’m known hereabouts as the queen of brownies for all my creations too -it is amazing what you can do to a brownie mix that gets everyone talking! Thanks for the great recipe.

PheMom says:

Those both look and sound fantastic!

Anonymous says:

How many brownies does this make? I noticed you said to cut the chocolate bar into 12 pieces, but you put two in each cupcade. So, does it only make six cupcakes?

Justin and Miranda Townsend says:

Hi, the brownies look and sound delicious… What temperature do you cook them at?

Hi Anonymous,
    Thanks for catching my typos, I just edited the recipe. It makes 12 cupcakes and you put 1 piece of chocolate in the center of each brownie.

Miranda,
    I just edited the recipe, it should be baked at 350 F.

Erin says:

Oh, the butterfinger top looks delicious.

Leslie says:

I love asparagus! Goodness..doesnt make your pee smell like it if you eat too much of it!!LOL
    Oh and…for my video posts..my computer has a built in web cam..so there really isnt anything special I have to do. It seems eaiser than typong a post! No spell check required!

Lore says:

That asparagus looks great! I’m much like your niece, I’ve liked goat cheese even as a kid. Your brownies look yummy too, thanks for sharing :)

www.adorn-jewelry.blogspot.com says:

Those brownies look too stinkin delicious! why, oh why do i read this blog? you have no idea how tempted i am to make every single dessert on here!

Zen Chef says:

Happy Birthday Bunka! :-)

Wow. Asparagus, pancetta and cheese!? That’s a marriage proposal right there. Too bad you’re already married! (no, no don’t send hubby to hunt me down pleaase! haha) :-)

And the bad is oh so good! Gosh, you made my day!

~Priscilla~ says:

hey jenny! if you take a look at my blog, you’ll find something on there!

hyeknitter says:

oh btw, do you mind if i add you to my blogroll? thanks so much for your comment!

~Priscilla~ says:

okay, you were probably wondering who that was commenting (hyeknitter) – sorry that was me logged in my sister’s account!

Pricilla,
    You are funny, I’ve done that before with my sister’s account. Please do add me to your blogroll!! Thanks!

Andrew's Mom says:

I made this Saturday night – we had some friends over – I made them in a 9 x 13 pan – and everyone loved them – the whole pan disappeared!

Kevin says:

That asparagus looks good! Oh, and the gooey chocolate centers in those brownies…mmm…

Cathy C says:

What a great twist on asparagus – I love goat cheese on anything and well Bacon that is in a category all by itself!!

The brownies look off the charts!!

Cheers
    Cathy

Beth says:

I made the brownies last night and they were to die for!!! I loved the chocolate center! Unfortunately, I only let myself have one and am giving the rest away! Thanks for the recipe.

The John says:

Next time you make the asparagus get some good Balsamic vinegar reduce it and drizzle over the dish! We kind of do the same dish but wrap the asparagus in thin slices of pancetta or procsiutto.

Sara says:

Jenny, I made these brownies last night and they were a hit!!! I love a good brownie, always. My husband isn’t a brownie eater, but I scored with this one! He said it is the best brownie he has ever had! Thanks! I can never go wrong with your recipes.

Andrea and Casey says:

I just bought the butterfingers and hersheys bars. I’m making this tonight! Thanks for a great recipe.

Michelle says:

I was wondering if you would share what kind of brownie mix you prefer to use in your recipes?
    I always get turned off by the taste of the oil in them when I make them – I wonder what kind of oil you use too?