Aug
2008

When Spaghetti Dinner is Getting Boring….

Tags:

Please tell me I’m not the only one that makes spaghetti one too many times for dinner! When you feel like you’re ready for a little something new, give these fun little flaky garlic toasted spaghetti cups a try. I was feeling completely un-motivated to make dinner last night so I started grabbing ingredients for my go to, easy dinner that we have oh so often….spaghetti. As I was rummaging through the freezer for the ground beef, I saw my handy Pillsbury pie crusts that I forgot I even had and thought, hmmmmmm…..

Voila`, little garlic bread cups to put your spaghetti in. It’s not rocket science, just a little way to jazz up that spaghetti, even when you don’t feel like cooking dinner! Hope you’ll all enjoy!

Flaky Garlic Toasted Spaghetti Cups

3 Pillsbury refrigerated pie dough, thawed
¼ Cup olive oil, for brushing
½ teaspoon garlic salt, Lawry’s
2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

½ Cup diced white onion
½ Cup diced red bell pepper
1 lb lean ground beef
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
¼ teaspoon garlic salt, Lawry’s is what I use

26 oz favorite pasta sauce, homemade or store bought

1 lb whole wheat spaghetti

½ Cup Fresh grated parmesan cheese
12 Fresh basil leaves

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Roll out pie dough rounds to an even thinness. Using a 3 inch wide bowl or cup, press 12 round circles of dough. You may need to roll out remaining dough to make more circles. Lightly brush each side of the dough rounds with olive oil and sprinkle lightly with garlic salt. Press gently into the bottom and sides of 12 muffin tins, that have been sprayed with cooking spray. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown and crisp. Remove from oven and let cool on cooling rack.

2. Place oil into a large skillet over medium heat. When hot, sauté onion and bell pepper until slightly softened, about 3-5 minutes. Stir in beef, salt, pepper and garlic salt. Cook until browned and crumbled. Stir in pasta sauce and reduce heat to low to simmer.

3. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.

4. To assemble, using tongs, place a small amount of noodles into the bottom of the crusts. Top with a heaping spoonful of pasta sauce. Top with fresh grated Parmesan cheese and basil leaves if desired.

Makes 12 spaghetti cups, you’ll have more spaghetti left over

Have a Great rest of the week!

Comments

Noor says:

I have something waiting for you on my blog come on over :)

BTW, I just love these I bet your husband is like mine wondering what he is getting every night, lol..

~Priscilla~ says:

those look great. your cookies with the brownie mix in them look delicious, i can’t wait to try them.

Kevin says:

What a great way to serve spaghetti! Those garlic cups sound really good.

Shari says:

This is a great twist on good ol’ spaghetti! Great idea!
    Shari@Whisk: a food blog

Katie's blog says:

That looks really good. What a neat presentation.

bakingblonde says:

This is the best idea since sliced bread in my opinion!! I love love love the idea!! These will be a great hit with the kiddos in the family as well! Can’t wait to try them.

Carrie says:

I’m so excited to try this tonight! Question tho…the pie crust wasn’t too sweet for the spaghetti? I guess I think pie crust and dessert comes to mind…lol

Maris says:

This is SUCH a great idea! I love taking simple recipes and adding a little twist that makes them seem fresh and different.

This is such a simple meal yet I think you could totally serve this to company and they’d be impressed. I know I would :o)

Maggie says:

That is my last minute dinner all the time…What a cute way to change it up. I just have to say that you are awesome. Thanks for all of the great recipes.

Dave and Autumn says:

How fun!! I am all about presentation! Well …and taste. But I feel if it looks good then it makes it taste even that much better. I love the idea ans so simple!! Thank you!

Threeundertwo says:

Ok, that is both clever AND cute! What a great idea!

Amanda says:

I made my own version of these on Saturday and it was the first time my husband commented that the food looked “cute”
    Thanks!

n.o.e says:

These are totally cute! They look delicious as well – enjoying your blog and getting lots of recipe inspiration!!
    Nancy
    The Dogs Eat the Crumbs

modkidboutique says:

Ooooh, I love this idea! BTW, you’ve been added to the Cook It. Blog it! blogroll! Welcome!!!

Psychgrad says:

Looks cute. How do you eat it? Do you cut up the spaghetti or eat the spaghetti out of the cup and then eat the garlic toast after?

Kelly says:

These are definitely unique! I’ll definitely have to give these a try.

Brian and Elizabeth Shelley says:

what brand of pasta do you use??