Aug
2008

Fiesta Chicken and Spinach Enchiladas

Tags:

Dinner

Everyone been watching the Olympics? I am loving the diving and gymnastics, well actually all of it. Isn’t it crazy how young the gymnastic girls from China look!? Everyone is so talented, go USA!

Ok, get out your maracas and sombreros, it’s time to make some finger licking good enchiladas. I can’t remember the last time I made a big dish of enchiladas, but after tonight, I think I’ll be making them more often. My husband’s comment was, “Now why can’t we have this at least once a week?!” My boys loved them too, no complaints tonight and they had no idea there was loads of healthy spinach inside. This recipe feeds at least 10 adults, so half it according to the size of your family. I know I’ll get some boo’s for the soup in the sauce, but I must say it’s quick, easy and makes a really tasty sauce! Hope you’ll all enjoy!

Fiesta Chicken and Spinach Enchiladas

1 Cup red enchilada sauce
8 oz sour cream
1/2 Cup milk
Pinch of salt

Corn Tortillas
2 Cups shredded Mexican blend cheese

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place oil into a large skillet or dutch oven over medium heat. Saute onion and jalaepeno until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add chopped spinach and cook until wilted down. Stir in chicken, salt, pepper, garlic salt, cumin and diced tomatoes. Reduce heat to low and simmer.

2. Place soup, enchilada sauce, sour cream, milk and salt into a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir until warmed though.

3. Ladle a small amount of sauce into the bottom of a large 9×13 inch baking dish (or bigger if you have one), just enough to cover the bottom. Place a spoonful of chicken mixture inside of corn tortillas, roll and place seam side down. Fill tortillas until chicken filling is used up. Top evenly with sauce and shredded cheese. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.

10-12 servings

Thank you Simplemom.net and Work it, Mom for featuring my spaghetti cups on your great websites! Thanks for everyone’s nice comments on that post, I read them all. Thank you also to Jenn from the Leftover Queen for putting me on her Finest Foodies Friday list. Be sure to join the Foodie Blogroll if you haven’t yet!!

Comments

CrabbyMom says:

Any idea how many ounces the can of chicken soup was? I’d like to use reduced fat cream of chicken and I doubt that comes in a big can. Or do you know how many regular cans this would be? It looks delicious. Thanks!

Steph says:

You are so popular Jenny! I’m so jealous! The enchilada’s look so yummy! I’m sure my family would dive into those!!

Proud Italian Cook says:

Jenny,I just know you’re going to be the next Food Network star!! I happen to turn it on the other day and I said, Hay, thats Jenny I know her!! You have a great TV presence, very composed and comfortable with the camera. One look at all these comments, and I know these enchiladas are a hit!

Kenzie says:

Wow, the enchiladas look fantastic! I am definitely going to add them to my list of things to make.

Christina says:

I made these enchiladas for dinner tonight and everyone loved them. I don’t even like spinach but likes been said you can’t even taste it. The only changes I made was leaving out the jalapeno pepper and I also used the whole can of enchilada sauce which ended up being 2 1/4 cups just because I knew I wouldn’t have anything else to use it in for awhile and I didn’t want it to go to waste. This was probably the best mexican recipe I’ve made ever and I will definitely be making them again.

Satisfying my sweettooth,
    Hope you’ll enjoy!!

Michela,
    Of course I’d read your blog, let me know when I can read some in English, otherwise I’ll still drool over your pictures!!

Hi Crabbymom
    I’d say it’s between 3-4 small cans of soup. You might have some left over, but it’d be no big deal. Enjoy!

Hi Steph,
    Bet the kids would like them!!

Hi Marie,
    You saw the show?!! That was such a shock to see. I had no idea my chicken wasn’t cooked through until I watched the show 6 months later. Crazy. I had fun anyway. I’d have to do some major culinary school before I’d give FNS a shot!!

Hope you enjoy Kenzie!

Thanks for the comment Christina! I am so glad to hear they were a hit with your family! I probably would have added more enchilada sauce too, but mine was “medium” and my husband would have had a fit. He can’t handle anything spicy! Thanks for such a great compliment!

Cara says:

Yummy! I love all things enchilada! We’ve been watching the Olympics too…even the weird things like dressage (with the horses).

My Sweet & Saucy says:

Love the spinach enchiladas! Adding a little Italian element into it…I like it!

Angela says:

Oh my gosh, those look to die for! I will have to try out this recipe!

Adrienne says:

One thing I love when making enchiladas is to use one of those roasted chickens from the grocery store, as it has a nice flavor.

The Lowry's says:

These were Delish! I made them into 2 pans since it is just us and our 2 kids. I have made enchiladas over the years, decided to try yours and I’m throwing away the other recipe. Definitely a keeper. Anyways if you read this comment before tonight I froze the other pan and was wondering if you knew if I should cook it from frozen or let them defrost and then stick it in the oven. Thanks again!

Mandy says:

I’m making these tonight, can’t wait to try them!

kamailesfood says:

I made these for dinner yesterday. My picky husband loved them. He especially enjoyed the sauce. Thanks for the recipe.

Here’s a question on an old post: I made these enchiladas and they’re great – everyone loved them. Thanks for sharing the recipe. My question is about the corn tortillas. Another recipe I made called for frying the tortillas first in oil. Time consuming and adds too many extra fat calories. I was happy to see that your recipe didn’t call for this, but I found that after I rolled the tortillas and put them in the dish, they broke and the tops flipped up. The sauce and cheese totally disguised this, but was wondering if you had any tips. Tried passing them through a flame on my gas stove, but this didn’t change the outcome. Thanks, Lisa

Brandy says:

Made these the other week,they were super tasty! I actually had a good bit of the chicken filling leftover and found that it makes a really tasty burrito/taco… whatever you want to call it. I just put the filling into a flour tortilla with some cheese…. was super tasty like that as well.