Aug
2008

Full of Beans, Literally…

Tags: , ,

Good late Tuesday night! I’m getting ready to go watch the Olympics, but wanted to leave you with this ultra tasty green bean recipe I made a couple nights ago. They are crispy, full of flavor and totally delicious! Next time you are at the grocery store, do pick up some fresh beans and indulge in this great side dish. It makes a perfect side for any type of meat, forget that, just have them as the main course! One bit of advice, definitely use parchment paper. I tried just spraying the baking sheet and some of the breading still came off, you don’t want any of that goodness lost!

Before I go, anyone have any magical tips on how to keep fresh herbs alive? I just planted some fresh basil and rosemary in a big pot in my backyard. I soooo want to keep them for a while, but have a horrible green thumb! Any tips from you gardening pro’s would be greatly appreciated!

Have a great night or day if you are reading this tomorrow!

Crispy Parmesan Ranch Crusted Green Beans

¾ Cup prepared Ranch Dressing
1 egg, beaten
1 ½ Cups panko bread crumbs
½ Cup grated parmesan cheese
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
½ lb washed and trimmed fresh green beans

1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Combine ranch dressing and egg together in a shallow dish. Combine panko, parmesan, salt and pepper in a separate shallow dish. Lightly dip beans into ranch dressing. Press into crumb mixture then place onto a parchment lined baking sheet (they’ll stick to the pan if not, even if sprayed with cooking spray). Do this process until all beans have been coated. Bake for 15 minutes or until crust is crispy and golden. Let cool for 3 minutes then serve.

4 servings

_________________________

I wanted to make even a healthier muffin recipe since the last one I posted and I’ve done it! I made these tasty muffins a couple weeks ago and they turned out perfect. Soft, tender and full of blueberries. They are great for breakfast. Hope you’ll all enjoy!

Healthier Coconut Crusted Blueberry Muffins

1 ¾ Cups whole wheat flour
¼ Cup flax seed meal
2 teaspoons baking soda
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
¾ Cup sugar substitute, like Sweet Simplicity or splenda

1 egg
6 oz strawberry lowfat yogurt
½ Cup plus 2 Tablespoons skim milk
1/3 Cup coconut oil
1 Tablespoon vanilla

1 ½ Cups fresh or frozen blueberries

½ Cup shredded sweetened coconut

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place first 6 ingredients into a large mixing bowl. Place the next 5 ingredients into a small mixing bowl and whisk together. Slowly add to the dry ingredients until just combined. Slowly and carefully stir in the blueberries.

2. Fill 12 muffin tins that have been sprayed with cooking spray ¾ full of batter. Sprinkle with shredded coconut. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean from center.

Makes 12 regular size muffins or 6 Texas size

Coming next is a fun new dinner recipe that includes loads and loads of garden fresh veggi’s, that had my kids fooled! See you soon!

Comments

HoneyB says:

The muffin and beans both look delicious! I just got some fresh beans from my parent’s garden last night so I think this will be our side dish tonight! Thanks!

Beth says:

Rosemarys a hardy herb that doesn’t require much looking after- well mine certainly doesn’t. My basil dies this year so can’t help you on that one. Love the blueberry muffins – might have to try with blackberries as they are just coming into season over here

Jeena says:

Lovely beans I can just imagine how crisp they are yum.

I so love wholemeal flour in cakes and muffins, your muffins look so beautiful and healthy too. :-)

Natashya says:

Wow, what a great variety of delicious looking food!
    You have lovely photos and seem to have a good selection of dishes. – I am a dish junkie – I can’t get enough!
    Herbs like to be used. Keep some leaves on the basil – just cut down far enough to leave a couple of sets of leaves so it can breathe/eat. Regular water.
    Rosemary just wants lots of sun – water but not too soggy.
    I am not sure where you live but neither survive winter in my zone. Bring ‘em in or replant in spring if you are in a cold winter climate.

ayankeeinasouthernkitchen says:

What a great way to get kids to eat beans, they look so good. Nothing like fresh beans and some good wholemeal muffins as well!

EAT! says:

I just picked up some fresh beans at the farmer’s market – always on the lookout for new recipes. Love the crunch of panko – thanks!!

Brooke says:

Guess what I am getting at the grocery store on Sunday. These look delish.

Katherine Aucoin says:

What a cool and tasty way to disguise veggies. Your muffins look delicious also. I haven’t grown rosemary yet, but I am anxious to try. I’ve had good luck with my basil. With herbs, keep them watered and well drained; that’s all I do. When you’re ready to use basil, clip what you need, place it in a glass of water. If you clipped too much, wrap the leaves in a damp papertowel place in the fridge. Good luck.

Aggie says:

Good morning! Wow, great looking recipes! Those green beans look delicious, I love green beans and can’t wait to try them this way!! YUM!

My advice on the basil…try to keep it out of direct sunlight, mine does better by my front door or on the patio, I was noticing the direct sun was burning it up. As for rosemary, I don’t do much with mine but it is in the ground now so it gets a good watering with the lawn twice a week. Good luck! You will love having them around!

Patsyk says:

The muffins look great, but those green beans have my mouth watering and it’s before 9 a.m. here! LOL! This may be the ticket to getting my boys to eat green beans… make them crunchy! Awesome idea!

I’ve got no tips on keeping herbs alive… I’ve got a terribly brown thumb!

Sharon says:

These both look tasty! I’m not a huge fan of green beans but if they were crusted with panko, I’m sure I could be convinced :)

Hi Shelby,
    Glad you have some beans on hand, I’m ready to make another round of these!

Hi Beth,
    Thanks for the Rosemary tips, I hope mine does ok.

Hi Jenna,
    I agree, I’ve found I prefer ww flour over the all purpose.

Hi Natashya,
    Thanks so much for the gardening advise, heaven knows I sooo need it!

Thanks ayankeeinasouthernkithen!

Eat!
    Glad you’ve got some nice fresh beans on hand. I need more!

Enjoy Brooke!

Love the gardening advise Katherine! Thanks.

Great to know about the basil Aggie, I’ve got mine in the sun, so I think I’ll bring it in the patio today.

Hi Patsy,
    Glad to know I’m not the only one with a brown thumb!

These might just change your mind Sharon!! Somehow a crispy crust makes everything better!

Prudy says:

Those green beans look like a fun alternative to breaded chicken. I’d definitely take them for dinner!

Hi Prudy,
    I must have just missed you. Yah, I could eat a whole plate of these in no time!

Barbara Bakes says:

I’m always on the look out for a healthier muffin recipe. Thanks for sharing!

Mary Ann says:

Jenny,
    those beans look amazing, I am sure my kids would gobble them down. And the muffins as well. I can’t wait to make your enchiladas, I put them on my menu next week! Thanks for checking out my blog, it means alot!

Threeundertwo says:

I could eat these as a main course. I’ve had something similar, but never found the recipe. Thanks so much!

What a great way to eat your veggies:) The beans and muffins look great.

I have a basil plant and a rosemary tree…they are doing well. We water them every day. The basil likes the sun! And the more you pick the leaves the better off they are. They grow back quicker! Good luck!

Bunny says:

I have to try the green beans I think the kids would love this!

Hi Barbara,
    Me too, I’m so glad now I can not feel guilty eating muffins in the morning!

Hi Maryann,
    Let me know how the enchiladas turn out, I’m about ready to make another batch myself! I love checking in your kitchen!

Threeundertwo,
    Hope you’ll enjoy!

Hi Maria,
    Thanks for the great tips!

Hi Bunny,
    I bet the kids would love these!

Ty'sMommy says:

I’m going to have to try those beans!

I grow a ton of basil every year to make pesto, and my best advice for you is to not let it go to seed. If you see it starting to sprout little booms or seed patches on top, snip tme off right away or it will stop growing. For the rosemary, just don’t overwater it and you should be fine!

Clumbsy Cookie says:

Hi Jenny! Are you having fun watching the games? I think even I would like to eat those green beans (I’m a greeen bean lover, lol)! The muffin looks great and oh so healthy! About the herbs we share the same bad green thumb… I just had mint, basil and thyme and they all died :(

Hende Fam says:

I was going to give you the same advice as ty’s mom on the basil. Mine started to get the tall flowers on them and it stopped growing. I went out and cut them all off and within days it was blooming all sorts of new leaves. I use to be stingy with picking mine because I was afraid to leave myself with none but the more I use it the more it gives me. Mine prefers a lot of sun but it likes a lot of water too and Im in St George so it should be similar climate.

We use to live in Prescott, AZ and my rosemary lasted all year long. I didnt do much to it either. I think its best left alone! Ive been “caring” for mine and Im killing it so Im just going to forget about it for a week or so and see what happens.

The beans look awesome and I cant wait to try them!

Sara says:

How creative are those beans! I love it! Your muffins look delicious…who needs healthy! As far as some advice for your herbs…I’ve had a hard time with my herbs also. I think they work better in a larger pot. Be generous with the water and don’t let them dry out. Fertilize them too! That is my advice, but I am no expert. Goodluck!

Live.Love.Eat says:

Hey there!! Thanks for coming by my blog. And that’s funny about the bread pudding, I did give kudos to Deanna but didn’t see where it came from before here. I scrolled down your blog just for a minute and already love like 5 recipes, especially the green beans. I am going to try this recipe for sure. My husband also wanted me to do regular fried green beans like they serve at TGIF. This one’s coming first!!

Deborah says:

I don’t think I’ve ever had beans like that – but I sure do want some!! I don’t have a green thumb, so I’m surprised I haven’t killed anything off. I’d say to just make sure they get enough water. And my pots were not doing very well when I left them on the concrete – I think they got too hot. They are doing great now – I have a shelf in the backyard that they are on, and I think that’s made a big difference.

Ty’s mom,
    Great advise, thanks a million!

Rita,
    Yes, we are loving the olympics, it’s all so exciting, I’ll have to make a big pan of these green beans to munch on while I watch.

Thanks for the tip Hende fam,
    I wouldn’t have known to keep trimming the leaves. Thanks!

Hi Sara,
    I’ll have to go out and buy some fertilizer, I haven’t tried that yet. Thanks!

Hi live love eat,
    I thought the same thing about your blog! I’ll have to re-write my grocery list!

Hi Deborah,
    Interesting about the concrete. I’ll have to try putting the pot on a shelf. Thanks!

Emily says:

Wow Jenny! What a great idea for green beans! They look wonderful!

Stephanie says:

I should try that with the next batch of beans I pick from our garden (if the plants keep producing; they’ve been looking a little sick lately, I hope they survive…)

Wish I could help with the herbs. All mine died, so I want to know the secret too!

OhioMom says:

This coating sounds yummy, I can think of any number of fresh veggies to use it with. Those muffins look totally like I would love one with my tea :)

Thanks for visiting my blog.

Anne says:

Those beans look amazing (I could even get my husband to eat them! :)

As for the herbs, I can get my basil to last all summer here if it is a little shaded and watered regularly. I saw on the foodnetwork that you can grow basil in a pitcher of water, so I go on the safe side with a little extra water. It also grows great on my windowsill when it gets too cold outside.

I’ve also seen my friend that has her pool “landscaped” with rosemary and basil plants- which do great planted in the ground even through the summer without tons of shade. Good luck- I can’t wait to see the recipes that come from your herb garden!

Amy says:

I love garden fresh green beans!! I’m off to pick some now. Can’t wait to try the recipe! The muffins also look SO delicious. My kids LOVE blueberry muffins and will be excited to help me cook these up!

Donna, aka. Yellow Jeep Blonde says:

OMG! Those green beans sound spectacular! I’m definitely going to try them soon.
    Thanks!

Oh – and I am no help in the gardening department. I planted one tomato plant this year and I didn’t get the first good tomato off of it. No green thumb here!

Sara says:

Yum! Those muffins look fantastic and healthy.

carol says:

You know Jenny-just this morning my husband rolled his eyes when I said there are probably more beans to pick…….I know what that meant…he’s sick of them the same old way…wait till he gets a load of these! Your timing couldn’t be any better-THANK YOU!
    Love the look of those muffins too……….and they’re healthier…all the more to like!

Carol

Thanks Emily!

Hi Stephanie,
    I am so jealous of all of you gardeners that have veggi’s just at your back yard. I’ve got to learn how to keep a good one. Good luck with yours.

Hi Ohiomom,
    Yah, I can imagine zucchini would be fantastic too!

Love all your tips Anne, thanks for passing them along!

Thanks Donna,
    Glad to know I’m not the only one!

Thanks Sara!

Carole,
    So glad I could pass on another idea to do with those extra beans! Let me know what hubby thinks!

Rebekah says:

I don’t even think my kids would say no to those green beans! they look delish!!

Grace says:

feeling crusty today, are we? :)
    i’ll take beans any way i can get ‘em, but i’m mostly smitten with your gorgeous muffins. the fact that they’re healthy is quite the added bonus–bravo! :)

Live.Love.Eat says:

Hey Jenny. I am watching you on Food Network right now. It’s so funny we just corresponded today for the first time and then I see you on TV. Even funnier is as soon as I flipped to the channel you were right there. You handled the situation very well!!!!!!!!

Lisa says:

I must make those green beans!

I do not have a green thumb but can grow herbs (exception is cilantro). Just plant it, water it once a day and let it grow. Rosemary grows in my garden even through frost (not that you would have any):)

bakerchick103 says:

I just recently discovered your blog and it’s wonderful!! I’m loving the fab recipes. Keep ‘em coming, girl!

Bridgett says:

I love beans made like that. I do it with zucchini strips as well. It is a great way to get my kids to eat them as well!

Emiline says:

Oh, like fried green beans! But healthier. I like it.
    I always have wanted to try the fried green beans from Fridays, but I never have.

I still have the coconut oil I bought. I should probably bake some muffins. I wonder how long you can keep it?

Noor says:

The only herb tip that I have is how to keep them fresh after you pick them. This is Martha Stewarts tip so you may know it but it works well, I always do it. Just wrap the bottoms iwth a wet paper towel!

Heather says:

Those both look soooo good! I saw you the other night on Food Network, just a glimpse as I caught the tail-end of the program, chicken I think.

Thanks everyone!!

Stephanie and Heather,
    I appologize that you had to sit through the chicken show yesterday! Let’s just say it’s not one of my proudest moments!! I was so sure that darn chicken was cooked too! Lame.

Christina says:

Hi Jenny. I went to a health food store this morning to buy some flaxseed meal because I have never used it before. I also was going to pick up some coconut oil but it was $12.00 for a little container and I just couldn’t bring myself to spend that much for it after spending $8.00 on the flaxseed meal. Can I substitute another oil for the coconunt oil? I have everything else to make your muffins and I would love to make them today.

Christina says:

Hey Girl!

I miss you at work but so glad you have more time to cook! I have everything to make the green beans for tonight and I’m so excited about the new muffin recipe. I loved it so much before because they had some healthy stuff in them. Now I’m even more excited! I’ve made the others twice and next time I will use the new recipe!
    I plan to cook a lot this weekend.
    Take care,
    Christina

Tasty Trends says:

i saw you on the food network yesterday as well!!! very nice!

i am new to your blog as well, and i love it!

i will have to try these breaded beans…looks great!

Theresa says:

Those beans look delicious! I’m going to try those. The muffins look good too!