Aug
2008

Full of Beans, Literally…

Tags: , ,

Good late Tuesday night! I’m getting ready to go watch the Olympics, but wanted to leave you with this ultra tasty green bean recipe I made a couple nights ago. They are crispy, full of flavor and totally delicious! Next time you are at the grocery store, do pick up some fresh beans and indulge in this great side dish. It makes a perfect side for any type of meat, forget that, just have them as the main course! One bit of advice, definitely use parchment paper. I tried just spraying the baking sheet and some of the breading still came off, you don’t want any of that goodness lost!

Before I go, anyone have any magical tips on how to keep fresh herbs alive? I just planted some fresh basil and rosemary in a big pot in my backyard. I soooo want to keep them for a while, but have a horrible green thumb! Any tips from you gardening pro’s would be greatly appreciated!

Have a great night or day if you are reading this tomorrow!

Crispy Parmesan Ranch Crusted Green Beans

¾ Cup prepared Ranch Dressing
1 egg, beaten
1 ½ Cups panko bread crumbs
½ Cup grated parmesan cheese
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
½ lb washed and trimmed fresh green beans

1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Combine ranch dressing and egg together in a shallow dish. Combine panko, parmesan, salt and pepper in a separate shallow dish. Lightly dip beans into ranch dressing. Press into crumb mixture then place onto a parchment lined baking sheet (they’ll stick to the pan if not, even if sprayed with cooking spray). Do this process until all beans have been coated. Bake for 15 minutes or until crust is crispy and golden. Let cool for 3 minutes then serve.

4 servings

_________________________

I wanted to make even a healthier muffin recipe since the last one I posted and I’ve done it! I made these tasty muffins a couple weeks ago and they turned out perfect. Soft, tender and full of blueberries. They are great for breakfast. Hope you’ll all enjoy!

Healthier Coconut Crusted Blueberry Muffins

1 ¾ Cups whole wheat flour
¼ Cup flax seed meal
2 teaspoons baking soda
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
¾ Cup sugar substitute, like Sweet Simplicity or splenda

1 egg
6 oz strawberry lowfat yogurt
½ Cup plus 2 Tablespoons skim milk
1/3 Cup coconut oil
1 Tablespoon vanilla

1 ½ Cups fresh or frozen blueberries

½ Cup shredded sweetened coconut

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place first 6 ingredients into a large mixing bowl. Place the next 5 ingredients into a small mixing bowl and whisk together. Slowly add to the dry ingredients until just combined. Slowly and carefully stir in the blueberries.

2. Fill 12 muffin tins that have been sprayed with cooking spray ¾ full of batter. Sprinkle with shredded coconut. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean from center.

Makes 12 regular size muffins or 6 Texas size

Coming next is a fun new dinner recipe that includes loads and loads of garden fresh veggi’s, that had my kids fooled! See you soon!

Comments

1st Christina,
    Yes, feel free to use Canola oil in place of the coconut oil. That’s the only downfall, it’s pricy! I cringe every time I drop $15 for mine. Luckily it lasts a while.

Christina,
    I know, I miss not seeing you guys! You will love the new healthier muffin recipe. I freeze them, then just have them for breakfast. They are really good. Hope you enjoy the beans and muffins girl! Talk to you soon!

Tasty Trends,
    Great to have you here! I will say that I had a blast at that chicken competition, even though it was a bust! Hope to chit chat food soon!

Hi Theresa,
    Thanks, the beans are heavenly! Enjoy!

Proud Italian Cook says:

Those are better than fries!!!

Christina says:

I made your muffins using canola oil and they we’re very good for healthy muffins. Of course the kids did not like them so I will freeze the rest for me. Next time I think I will try making them substituting all purpose flour for part of the whole wheat flour. Thanks for another great recipe

Leslie says:

Love the beans! I am always trying to come up with different things to do with green beans. What a tasty idea you have!

hot garlic says:

How did I miss all of this stuff?! Of course it is no secret that I love a little WWF and Flax, but I also love coconut and blueberries too. These are right up my alley.

Those green beans look absolutely delectable! I want to marry green beans, they are without a doubt my favorite vegetable.

Cate says:

Might be just the way to get the boys to eat green beans in our house.

sharon says:

We miss you already at the office Jenny. You have received great advice about growing the herbs. Trully, you will have to try hard to kill the rosemary. The basil loves growing here year round but you will need to watch for the freeze warnings we get in Jan and Feb and pay heed. . . cover or bring in your plants for the night or the basil leaves will be black (dead) in the morning. Good luck!

Katrina says:

I made the beans last night for dinner and loved them! I also coated some sliced eggplant and chicken breasts with the same stuff and baked them. It was all really good. Thanks for the simple yummy recipe.

carol says:

Hi Jenny;
    I had to let you know….I made the Parmesan Crusted Green Beans tonight-my garden gave me JUST enough to try them. OH MY GOD…they’re WONDERFUL! Talk about a different way to serve a vegetable! Bob was over the moon about them-he said “Tell Jenny this is definitely a “keeper” in this house!!!!”
    Thanks SO much for all your wonderful recipes…I’m off to find some more to my “must try soon” list!!! :)
    Carol

Carrie says:

I made these beans this week, they were SOOO good! Thanks for sharing.

I also awarded you the yum-yum blog award. Check out my blog for details.