Don't miss a single recipe from Picky Palate: sign up for my weekly newsletter

Aug
2008

Funky Frozen Banana Bites and Fab Cookies

Tags:

Desserts

Good late Sunday night everyone! Can you believe that the Olympics have come to a close?! It all went so fast, but was so great to watch. We still have a bunch of events to catch up on that are saved on the DVR. The last thing I saw was the disasterous relay race where both the men and women dropped the baton, I’m sure that will haunt them forever. That was so sad.

So, first up are these fun frozen banana treats. Another chocolate/peanut butter combo accompanied by another favorite of mine, Oreo Cookies. These are a mess to make, but the finished product is so much fun. These are great after school snacks for the kids and I must say, I found them to be quite enjoyable too! Only 4 ingredients away from a tasty treat, ENJOY!

Peanut Butter and Chocolate Dipped Frozen Oreo Banana Bites

Bananas ready to eat
Creamy Peanut Butter
Chocolate Bark or melting chocolate of choice
Crushed Oreo Cookies

1. Peel then cut bananas into 1 inch pieces. Melt peanut butter in microwave until very soft. Roll bananas into peanut butter then place on a wax paper lined baking sheet. Place in freezer for 20 minutes or until peanut butter has firmed up. Melt chocolate according to package directions. With spoons, dip bananas into chocolate and place back on the parchment paper. Press cookies into sides of bananas so they stick in the chocolate. Stick back into freezer until frozen, about 1 hour. Serve with toothpicks or just pop in your mouth!

_____________________________

Next are these cookies I threw together this morning to give to some ladies and teachers at church and they were really tasty. I love the crunchy crushed granola bars in these cookies, it gives a great texture and a slight honey bite. Really good buttery crisp edges too.

Anyone else notice that you can’t buy Hershey’s Cinnamon chips at Target anymore here in AZ? I am so disappointed. I even called Hershey and asked where I could buy them and she said there is no where in AZ! What a crappy thing to do! Desperation set in, because I am using these chips in an upcoming cook-off. I found some company on Amazon.com that sells them and put in my $30 order to only find that all 6 bags were liquified when they arrived to my doorstep. I should have figured that would happen with this darn AZ heat. After a few phone calls, I got them to overnight the box to me and by some miracle they got to me in their original form! Phew, what an ordeal! Those of you who can buy them at your grocery store, feel very lucky!

If you don’t have access to cinnamon chips, no worries. White chocolate, peanut butter or butterscotch chips would be great as well. Enjoy!

Chocolate and Cinnamon Chip Crunchy Granola Crispers

2 sticks softened butter
¾ Cup brown sugar
¾ Cup sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 ½ Cup whole wheat flour
1 Cup all purpose flour
¾ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1.5 oz package Oats and Honey Crispy Granola Bars, crushed with rolling pin
1 Cup chocolate chips
1 Cup cinnamon chips (or other chips of choice if cinnamon is not available)

1. In a stand or electric mixer, beat butter and sugars until well combined. Beat in eggs and vanilla until combined, scraping edges of bowl. In a large bowl combine the flour, salt, soda and crushed granola bars. Slowly add to wet ingredients then add chips only until just combined. ***CHILL dough for at least 1 hour or freeze for 30 minutes.***

2. Once dough is chilled, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Using a medium cookie scoop, arrange onto a parchment or silpat lined baking sheet. Bake for 9-11 minutes or until cookies are just barely golden around edges. Remove and let sit on baking sheet for 5 minutes. Transfer to cooling rack to cool completely.

About 36 Cookies

Have a great start of your week! See you Soon with something tasty!

Comments

Emily says:

Jenny what a great banana treat! Who can resist anything covered with chocolate, peanut butter and oreos! I was never an oreo fan until I lived in Germany and they didn’t have them their, someone gave my comp and I a pack coming back from the states and we downed them in one night! Now they are a super indulgence!
    Great recipe!

HoneyB says:

The bananas and cookies both look yummy! I have seen the cinnamon chips, but not sure they are still on the shelves here either. I’ll have to do a check now!

Clumbsy Cookie says:

Love the bananas! Of course I love them, with your signature ingredients you make everything good, lol!Sorry about the chips, at least you got them after all. Did they replace the first ones or you used the melted ones in something? Those cookies sound like tasty little things. Cute packaging!

Mandy says:

What a great treat! You’re right, perfect for an after-school snack! I’m going to make some for C’s first day of school today. About the cinnamon chips, save some money next time and just email me–I live in Hershey and would be happy to grab some and mail you a box. :)

Barbara Bakes says:

That’s too bad about the chips – good luck in the contest! Looks like a great recipe!

Jeena says:

Your recipes are always so so good and they keep on getting better and better!!!

These funky frozen banana bites are brilliant and the cookies look yummy! Great pics!

Patsyk says:

That banana treat looks like something I’d have to hide from my kids so that I could try it first!

I’ve never found cinnamin chips anywhere… would love to try them sometime though. Your cookies sound delicious!

Mary Ann says:

I am going to make those banana treats this week for an after school treat. They are perfect! The cookies sound great too! Thanks, Jenny, for some awesome snack ideas!

Prudy says:

Jenny:
    Those lucky ladies in your ward, I’m sure they loved those cookies. We did granola cookies last week for our Dorie cooking club. I love frozen bananas in oreos and nutterbutters, too. Have a great week!

Hi Emily,
    I can’t ever resist anything choc/pb and oreos! I would have done the same thing with the bag of Oreos as you and your comp did!

Hi Shelby,
    Thanks, and hope you can find your chips.

Hi Rita,
    I didn’t have to return my melted chips and they sent the second box at no charge. I layed the melted ones flat and just dice up the chocolate. So I guess I got a slight bonus huh?!

Hi Mandy,
    Hope your little one has a great a great first day of school! These are fun little treats.

Thanks Barbara!

Thanks Jeena!

Hope you and the kids enjoy Mary Ann! Try not to eat them before the kids get home, that was my problem!

Thanks Prudy!

Anne says:

Those cookies look amazing Jenny! I always have that same fear when I get makeup sent here in the summer, too. I’m glad they worked out eventually! :)

~Priscilla~ says:

what great looking treats! could you please tell me jenny where you get your bags and ribbons for your cookies at? i have been looking for some like that but can’t fine “any”! thanks so much!

Lisa says:

Awesome treats! For some reason, I can not find cinnamon chips in any stores in Nj.

Thanks Anne,
    Yes, make-up would be a disaster too!

Hi Priscilla,
    I get all of my ribbon at Michaels Craft Store. It’s only $1 per roll. Good Luck!

Thanks Lisa,
    Yah, I don’t know why they are so hard to come by. You’d think they’d want them on the shelves.

Pam says:

Jenny, my children would love the frozen banana treats! Great idea. I have never heard of cinnamon chips – they sound great. The cookies make my mouth water – beautiful.

Doug and Cherai says:

Jenny do you have a cook book? I would love to buy one if you do. I love all your stuff. It is so differnt, good and not too hard to make. Your pictures are always so beautiful. If you don’t have one you should.

Love the banana treats!
    I can’t believe you can’t get the cinnamon chips. I love those. I better go check my stores to make sure they are still there.
    I can’t wait to try your granola cookies. I have some of those at home. I bet they are delicious in the cookies!! Thanks!

~Priscilla~ says:

hi jenny, thanks…i will be looking there but do you also get the bags there?

Hi Pam,
    Hope your kids will love them! Yah, those chips are hard to come by in some areas!

Doug and Cherai,
    No, not yet, that is something I am working on hopefully sooner than later!

Hi Maria,
    Lucky you to have those chips at your fingertips. Wish I would have bought all the bags out when I could get them at target!

Hi Priscilla,
    I’m sure Michaels sells the bags, but I got mine at Target in the Party section, by the gift bags, they are kind of hidden at my store, but you’ll find them. I think they come in a bag of 20 for $2. Have fun, I always keep them on hand, they are great for little gifts in a hurry!

Katrina says:

I LOVE bananas, pb, choc and oreos–great combo and frozen, too! YUM!
    The cookies look great. I love how crisp/chewy they look. Great idea with the GB’s crushed up.

Sara says:

You are oh, so creative. I love the banana bites…who cares about the mess! It’s not good if it’s not messy! I will have to try your fab cookies, they sound and look delish!

stacy_ellingson says:

Jen – Looks delish! I have a few bags of cinnamon chips. If you want them give me a call! See ya soon!

Amy says:

This all looks SO good!! My sister came to visit me from Utah a few months ago and I had her bring me 5 or 6 bags of the cinnamon chips and have them ready to use in the freezer:)

Lore says:

Those banana bites sound like a really neat idea!!! I could eat a dozen of those in no time :D.

Leslie says:

whoa boy those dooooo look messy to make! But they look yummy!

Heidi says:

YUM! I just bought a bunch of bananas and this is a great way to use them up before they go bad! :)

Bridgett says:

Both look absolutely delicious, but since my sweet tooth is in high gear this month I am going to try the banana bites. Those have every ingredient I am craving. I have never heard of cinnamon chips before, can you believe?? I am going to have to start checking out the stores around here. They sound yummy.

Thanks Katrina,
    I’m not sure which I’d choose first, probably a handful of both!

I like your thinking Sara, the messier the better!

Thanks Stacy!
    I think my 6 bags should hold me over, but if I get in a pinch I’ll call you for sure. See you soon!

Good thinking Amy, stock up when you can. They are really so good in baked goods!

Me too Lore!

Thanks Leslie!

Great Heidi,
    Hope you enjoy!

Hi Bridgett,
    We must have the same sweet tooth issue! I can’t get rid of mine no matter what I do!

hot garlic says:

Those cookies look great! I love the idea of the granola in them for sure. And who could resist those banana bites?!

Oh man, all of the things I missed not seeing the Olympics in my own country! I haven’t even heard about the relay. It is strange to see the Olympics from another country’s POV -as in, seeing the sports {or just ‘sport’ as they say here} and athletes that they are interested in. I saw very little of the actual events I was interested in sadly! I really feel like I missed out this time.

Lucy says:

Just love that banana, what a great combination of goodies, making it a real treat!!

Years ago, when we still had the “Danbury Fair”, the fair grounds have long since been turned into a shopping mall… One of my first treats would be the frozen chocolate covered bananas! Without a doubt, these have to taste way better… yumm-O

I have everything but the oreo’s in the house ;(

Molly & Molly says:

You’ve GOT to make a recipe book with all of these yummy dinners and treats in it! I would snap it up in a second! Thanks for another delicious idea

Brooke says:

I am constantly amazed at your creativity. I don’t think you have posted a recipe that I don’t like.

Stacey says:

The banana treats look divine!

carol says:

The bananas look decadent-who cares if they’re messy? NOT ME!!!! It’s the taste that counts and they sound amazing!
    I really like the sound of these cookies too Jenny-I’ll be adding granola bars to the grocery list this week.
    What a shame about the melted cinnamon chips-yikes! I’m glad you got the second batch intact.
    We can’t get the Hershey Cinnamon Chips here in MA until fall….I’m figuring they’ll start appearing in the grocery stores next month or October.
    I don’t understand it…..does Hershey think the only time people use cinnamon chips is from Sept. thru the holidays? That’s just crazy! I have tons of recipes that use them and of course run across them during the “off season”….I have to get in the habit of getting some ahead and throwing them in the freezer or something.
    Maddening….that’s what it is!!!!!

Sharon says:

If I were your neighbor, I’d certainly be over every day trying to sneak a bite of your treats!

Surprisingly, I’m a little sad the olympics are over…what will I watch now?

nicole says:

The banana treat looks so yummy. Everything good all in one.

~Holly says:

Yummy!! The banana bites look amazing!! I will be trying this out soon! I love your blog! I check it everytime it’s updated. Thanks for all the great recipe’s! Everyone I have tried has turned out. You are the best! :)

Jan says:

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog, which has led me to yours!I love the look of those banana bites!
    A great blog you have here Btw!

Kim A says:

Wow what great presentations on these two new items….what’s new though, you always have adorable food pictures! Everything looks incredible…as always!

Katherine Aucoin says:

Wonderful summer treat Jenny. I have to quit visiting your blog. I think I gain weight and my hips expand everytime I visit. ;-)

Live.Love.Eat says:

Wow, I never even heard of cinnamon chips but that would drive me crazy not to find my fav cooking ingredient. I guess for me that would be Rotel. These desserts both look yummy!

Lorraine E says:

The Peanut Butter and Chocolate Dipped Frozen Oreo Banana Bites look amazing! I know I would love them just by the very ingredients :)

CookiePie says:

Oh. My. GOSH!!!!!! Oreos, bananas and PB?? I have died and gone to heaven!!! The cinnamon chips sound really yummy too — and your cookies are so pretty!

Aggie says:

Ok, these are over the top! Wow, I love those banana bites!! They look so so good!

Donna in VA says:

Oh my goodness! Those cookies sound fabulous! I’m going to try them as soon as it cools off enough outside for me to turn my oven on without sizzling inside my house.

Culinarywannabe says:

I sooo want one (or 2, or 3…) of the banana bites!

Steph says:

Jenny these are fabulous! I have to try these out for my little one. Okay let’s be honest…for me too. You’re awesome Jenny! Thanks for being such an inspiration!

Deborah says:

I haven’t bought the cinnamon chips in some time- I’ll have to see if they sell them here still. If they do, I can always send them to you!

These banana bites look like something I would love!

Tasty Trends says:

i love cinnamon chips! hopefully they still sell them here! good luck in your cookie contest!

Megan. says:

those frozen banana bites look so heavenly! they already sounded absolutely delicious but those photos are making these totally irresistable. i’ve got to raid the dorm rooms around here and get my hands on some bananas!!