Aug
2008

Baby Shower Finger Foods

Tags: , ,

What a weird night at yoga this evening. Every time I want to shed a few extra pounds I find myself going back to my Bikram yoga classes. It’s a torturous sweaty 90 minutes, but I tell you, it is like no other work out. So anyway, the room is REALLY quiet and I mean quiet, with only the instructor talking in a very relaxing calm voice. This guy sitting next to me was in some pose and clearly passed gas. It was so awkward and I know I’m not the only one who heard him. He acted like it wasn’t him. I was so grossed out!

Ok, that was probably not worth sharing, but it’s late and this is what happens to me, I don’t think clearly this late!

Moving onto the food. Last Saturday morning, I helped with a baby shower for one of my friends at church and we served brunch type foods. I made these fun creamy cinnamon rolls on a stick that I intended to put in a cute pot with a bow, but couldn’t find my styrofoam to go inside the pot. They were ok on the plate too. Any sweet dough will do, I just picked up my handy Pillsbury crescent rolls and got right to work. I needed the time saver that morning. Quick, cute and delicious! My pictures don’t do either recipe justice. I was literally running out the door and thought, wait, I’ve got to snap a few shots of these. So, definitely not my best work here, but you get the idea.

Cream Cheese Cinnamon Rolls on a Stick

2 packages Pillsbury Crescent Rolls (preferable the packages where it is one rolled sheet of pastry per package)
2 8oz packages softened cream cheese
1 Cup sugar
2 Tablespoons cinnamon
2-3 Tablespoons melted butter

1 ½ Cups powdered sugar
2-3 Tablespoons heavy cream (do not substitute)

24 lollie pop sticks

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Remove rolls from packaging. Unroll each of the dough pieces so they are in the shape of rectangles. Roll each individual into an even thinness. Place cream cheese, sugar and cinnamon into a medium bowl. Stir until well combined. Spread half of the cheese mixture onto one sheet of dough and half onto the other spreading evenly across dough leaving about ¼ inch border around edges. Roll dough as if you were making cinnamon rolls, ending with seam side down. Cut 1 inch pieces and place all 24 pieces into mini muffin tins. Brush each roll with melted butter and bake for 15-20 minutes or until slightly golden around edges and cooked through.

2. Transfer rolls to a cooling rack and cool completely. While cooling combine powdered sugar and heavy cream until thick and drizzle ready. With a spoon, drizzle icing over each roll. Once rolls are cooled, press a stick into the bottom of each.

24 Rolls

These little quiche are so good. The hash brown crust does wonders here. I wanted to do a separate post just on the candied bacon, but ran out of time that morning with the photo shoot. I could eat a whole pound of this sweet crisp bacon alone. Do try these, they are great for breakfast lunch or dinner. All kinds of goodness packed into one little tiny quiche!

Mini Hash Brown Crusted Quiche with Crisp Maple Brown Sugar Bacon

12 strips Applewood Smoked Bacon
¼ Cup pure maple syrup
½ Cup brown sugar

2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 package Ore Ida Seasoned Hash Brown with Peppers, thawed
15 large eggs
½ Cup heavy cream
1 ½ teaspoons salt
½ teaspoon pepper
¼ teaspoon garlic salt

1 Cup shredded cheddar cheese

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place bacon strips onto a baking rack placed over a baking sheet. Brush each strip of bacon with maple syrup then press pinches of brown sugar over each strip. Bake for 35-30 minutes or until crisped. Remove and let cool. Once cooled, cut into ½ inch pieces. Set aside.

2. Heat olive oil into a large 5 qt skillet or dutch oven. Saute hash browns until slightly golden. Spoon a heaping Tablespoon of hash browns into 48 mini muffin cups that have been sprayed with cooking spray. Bake for 5-7 minutes then remove from oven. In a large bowl whisk the eggs, cream, salt, pepper and garlic salt until well combined. Fill each muffin cup nearly full with eggs. Top with a pinch of cheddar cheese and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until eggs are cooked through. Remove from muffin tins, top with crisp bacon pieces and serve warm.

48 mini quiche

___________________________________

Thanks to Amanda from Myfindsonline.com for putting Picky Palate on her top 50 blog list for 2008! What an honor!

Be back soon with some more cookin!

Comments

Stephanie says:

Those cinnamon rolls look amazing! I love that they are so easy to make, but look really elegant and complicated! I just found your blog and I love it! I’m adding it to my daily read list.

Millers says:

Hey there,
    I am Jessica Johnsons sister and she turned me onto your blog quite a while ago. I have to say it is my saving grace. I send care packages to my stepson in Kentucky each month, and I have sent MANY of your goodies to him. He loves peanutbutter and chocolate so many of your recipes are right up his ally.
    Thanks for the help and inspiration. Keep them coming, we can’t get enough :)

Wow,
    Thanks for everyone’s nice comments. You all are great. Welcome Kelly and Stephanie!

Millers,
    I was just at a spin class with Jessica this morning and we were talking food while we were cycling. Thanks for your comment, hope you continue to find recipes your family enjoys!

Deborah says:

Too cute! I’ll have to send my sisters here for when they do my baby shower!

Kristen says:

Oh Jenny – this all looks fantastic!

LOl about the guy in your class. eeks!

Veronica says:

The finger foods look great. Cinnamon rolls on a stick would be great for a kids birthday party too!

Renae says:

your recipes are always so delicious! I posted your chicken/spinach enchiladas recipe on my blog and linked it back to you :0)They were so ymuuy! Thanks for sharing.

Marcella says:

Cutest idea ever! I’m going to throw a baby shower for myself, these are so cute. And I’m not even pregnant. But I have a 9month old so he still counts as a baby. Plus, I need some new clothes for him anyway.

Katie says:

Just found your blog through a friend and I MUST tell you (although I’m sure you already know) it is JUST FABULOUS! Love all the ideas! Can’t wait for the next update!

Arabic Bites says:

The Cinnamon Rolls on a Stick looks soooooo yummy…

Feed the moose says:

Once again, a terrific idea from Picky Palate! I’ve got this filed away now for my next baby shower!

Sadie says:

hey Jenny, Thanks for this post! I am going to make both of these for my Sister in law’s baby shower this weekend. I was so excited to see your ideas. Mmmmmm as usual.

Jenn says:

Hi Jenny,

I have to take muffins to a meeting on Tuesday. I wanted to make something savory. Do Mini Hash Brown Crusted Quiche have to be served immediately? Thanks for your help.

Mom24 says:

I would love to make these mini-Quiche Thanksgiving morning, but obviously that is a crazy morning. How do you think they would be if I made the bacon the day before, sauteed the hash browns the day before, and mixed up the filling the day before, then just baked the hash browns a minute or two longer than directed and proceed with the recipe the next morning? Trying to eliminate doing as much as possible Thanksgiving morning.

Lara says:

Right now it sounds like Drupal is the best blogging platform
    out there right now. (from what I’ve read) Is that what you’re using on your blog?