Aug
2008

Once you Go Mini, You Don’t Go Back!

Tags: , , ,

Dinner

Can someone please stop me from making everything Mini?!! Is it because subconsciously I am trying to drop a few more pounds before I go to NY? I don’t know, maybe, but I am on some kind of mini kick and I’m loving it!

So, here I was late last night all ready to post, as I usually do Thursday night and I find I have no Internet due to a crazy monsoon storm. I hate when I don’t have my every day conveniences! The rain and lightening storm was great though. We hadn’t had a storm like it in ages.

I’m sticking with my “mini” theme and have come up with 2 great dishes that I know you’ll love! Every time I use chipotle chili’s, I think of one of the finalists on the Next Food Network Star that had never heard of it. Seriously?! I guess living in the ol’ Southwest there is chipotle in just about everything. It is one of my favorite ingredients to use. It adds a smokiness and a perfect spice to so many dishes.

Fist up is this great mini Farfalle spicy chicken pasta. I LOVE this pasta. This is another pasta I could eat just about everyday. I love fresh corn and black beans in southwest recipes. Look for the mini Farfalle pasta next time you are at the grocery store. They cook faster and they look so fun and small. Plan ahead and double the chicken part of the recipe to make the quesadillas below…..check it out. Hope you’ll all enjoy!

Mini Farfalle Chipotle Chicken Pasta in Fire Roasted Tomato Cream Sauce

1 lb Barilla Mini Farfalle pasta

2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
½ Cup white finely diced onion
2-3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, chopped, from can (3 if you like spicy)
1 fresh corn on the cob, kernels removed
1 Cup drained black beans
2 Cups diced cooked chicken
1/4 Cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped

2 14 oz cans Muir Glen Fire Roasted diced Tomatoes
½ Cup heavy cream
Pinch salt, pepper, garlic salt

1. Prepare pasta according to package directions, drain and set aside.

2. Heat 2 Tablespoons olive oil into large 5 qt skillet or dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, chipotle, corn, and beans. Cook for 5 minutes, until softened. Stir in cooked chicken and cilantro leaves until heated through, reduce heat to low and set aside.

3. Place both cans of tomatoes into food processor and pulse until nearly smooth. Pour into chicken mixture. Stir in cooked pasta; stir to combine. Stir in heavy cream, salt, pepper and garlic salt to taste. Cook until heated through and serve. Garnish with additional cilantro if desired.

8 servings
__________________________

Next up are my cute mini Quesadillas. They are bite size and sassy. Use your biscuit or round cookie cutter and make your own. It’s really as simple as that. Using the same chicken recipe as the pasta makes for 2 great meals in one shot, Enjoy!

Mmm, try it with the Adobo Sour Cream. This is my favorite!

Chipotle Chicken, Black Bean and Corn Mini Quesadillas

3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

30 2 1/2- 3inch round flour tortillas, cut with round cookie or biscuit cutter

2 Cups diced cooked chicken
2-3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce from can (3 if you like spicy)
1/4 Cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
1 fresh corn on the cob, kernels removed
1 Cup drained black beans

2 Cups shredded cheddar cheese

2 Cups light sour cream
2-3 Tablespoons adobo sauce from can of chipotle peppers

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Place tortillas onto a baking rack placed over a baking sheet. Brush tops of each tortilla with oil and bake for 5-7 minutes or until slightly golden brown. Remove and set aside.

2. Heat 2 Tablespoons olive oil into large skillet over medium heat. Add chicken, chipotle peppers, cilantro, corn and beans until heated through, about 5 minutes.

3. Sprinkle a thin layer of cheese over each bottom tortilla. Spoon a heaping Tablespoon of chicken mixture over cheese layer then sprinkle with a pinch more cheese. Lightly press a tortilla round over top. Repeat this process until chicken and tortillas are used up. Bake for 7-9 minutes or until cheese is melted. Combine sour cream and chipotle in a small bowl. Serve with a cilantro leaf garnished plate and top with chipotle sour cream if desired.

*Depending on what size you cut your tortillas you may need more or less to use all of filling. If you have a house full of non-spicy fans, only use 1 chipotle chili. You’ll still get the smoky flavor with less heat*

Have a Great Labor Day Weekend Everyone, I’ll be back soon with probably something mini!

Comments

Deanna says:

Those are so cute!

Patsyk says:

Both of those recipes sounds so wonderful! I can’t wait to try them.

alexandra's kitchen says:

those little quesadillas are adorable! I love personal servings of anything. these would be great party food.

Clumbsy Cookie says:

No no I won’t stop you from making mini treats! You know I love it! Bite size quesadillas is just too cute and sweet. And the paste must be delicious as everything you do Jenny! I like farfalle a lot, I mean what’s not to like about eating food in a bow shape?!

Candise says:

Thanks – this will go on next weeks menu! When you get a chance change the pasta recipe. There is a small error in the amount of oil that could be catastrophic for an inexperienced cook that didn’t recognize the discrepancy. Have a great day. Thanks again for the fabulous recipes!

April says:

I love mini’s too! These dishes look fantastic!

Sharon says:

I love mini things as well. Only problem is that I end up eating more! The mini quesadillas are so cute…if quesadillas can be considered cute :)

Thanks Deanna and Patsy!

Hi Alexandra’s Kitchen,
    Thanks for visiting, I guess I love party food!

Hi Rita,
    I love bite size and I’m not afraid to admit it!

Candise,
    Thanks for catching that error. 2 Cups is just slightly more than the 2 Tablespoons it really is! Just fixed it!

Thanks April!

Barbara Bakes says:

I just happen to have a box of Barilla Mini Farfalle in the pantry – I’m definitely going to try this one!

HoneyB says:

How adorable is that!!!!

Live.Love.Eat says:

Oh yum!!!!!! I love mini too. That’s why I could feast on hors d’oeuvres everyday!!!!! These little quesadillas look awesome.

Pam says:

This is my kind of post… I love Mexican food. Both meals look absolutely delicious! By the way, I love anything mini, so keep it up!

Mary Ann says:

I am so with you on the mini pasta and mini everything. It makes eating so much more fun, especially for the little ones. I love the look of these and I am sure they will be delicious! I am going to try both of them for sure

Sara says:

I love your mini versions of everything! They both look delish! I’m excited to try both of them.

The Newbie says:

I can’t wait to try these recipes. Kimball saw your blog a while back and said “See that’s what I love about her”. Love? I mean seriously! I guess that’s a big fat hint to me that I don’t cook enough yummy dishes. :) Glad to have found your blog. Check ours out if you get a chance and what’s this about dropping a few pounds…come on! Also I was wondering if you ever signed Mason up for Martial Arts? Have a good day!

Steph says:

What a great idea, I’ve never thought to cookie cut tortilla’s. I bet I could get my daughter to eat those if they were shaped in hearts. Thanks Jenny! These dishes sound great!

Sara says:

Yum! They both look cute and delicious!

Bridgett says:

Are those the Barilla “piccolino” pastas? I picked some of those up for my daughter who loves them. Both of these recipes look mouthwatering. It really isn’t good to look at food when you are absolutely starving…it makes you crave everything! You always have fantastic recipes.

nicole says:

All the mini things are so cute. Everything sounds delicious.

Hi Barbara,
    I want to go buy the whole line of mini Barilla pasta’s. Aren’t they cute?

Thanks Shelby

Me too Stephanie, I love little bite size eats.

Thanks Pam,
    Glad you like the mini foods too!

Hope you enjoy Mary Ann!

Thanks Sara!

Hi Jessica,
    Glad you found my blog. Feel free to claim my dishes for your own to score a few points at home! I haven’t signed Mason up for martial arts yet, I’d like to. Are you signing Cade up soon? Maybe we can get them in the same class. Can you imagine those two? I’m already cracking up!

Thanks Steph,
    Yah, how cute would little heart quesadillas be?!

Thanks Sara!

Hi Bridgett,
    Yes it’s the Barilla Picollino pastas. I’m with you, I always seem to blog surf when I’m starving. Not a great idea!

Thanks Nicole!

Stephanie says:

Mini quesadillas – what a fun idea! My daughter would totally go for that, she loves things that are bite-sized and cute!

PaniniKathy says:

Love mini food! I’ve been meaning to try those new Barilla mini pastas. Hooray for chipotle! :-)

Katrina says:

I echo everyone else–I love mini food and these two dishes look great. We used to live in Tucson and miss those monsoons! (Lived there 5 years, been in Kansas for three, before that Utah.)
    I make muffins mini size, and have started making much smaller cookies. A lot of tiny cookies on a plate are so fun and makes everyone feel like they can try one of everything. I’ll have some of your pasta and a quesadilla please! ;)

Arabic Bites says:

Both of those recipes looks heavenly…
    I must give the pasta recipe a try soon ;)

Beth says:

Ive bookmarked these two beauties!! Loving the pasta dish. Hubby would love it…and me too

Emiline says:

Wait, this is the pasta from that commercial, right? The one where the dad cooks the mini farfalle for the mom and daughter? But early on in the commercial it’s kind of creepy, because he’s smiling at the little girl and you don’t know that he’s her dad yet.

I happen to love farfalle. It’s very comforting.

Chira says:

Can I just tell you that I LOVE your website!?! My sister and cousin always reference you…so now I check it out all the time when I need a fun, yummy idea! I’m totally going to make the mini pasta tonight…my DH loves mexican inspired food…YUM!!!

RecipeGirl says:

I love those mini farfalles… don’t know if I’ve come across those yet. And those mini quesadillas are too cute!

Stephanie says:

I love Barilla’s new mini pasta!

Can’t wait to try your recipe! Yum as usual!

Birdie says:

I’ve been into mini everything lately. Can’t explain it but I’m really diggn’ it.

Congrats on your ad space. Hope you do well!

Kevin says:

Just five minutes ago I was wondering how I could work corn into a pasta dish. That chipotle pasta with corn sounds like a great way!

Rachel says:

The pasta looks awesome! I’m so excited to make it. I also love your mini cinnamon rolls on a stick, so cute!

carol says:

Oh I LOVE minis……doesn’t that mean you can eat a few of them and not feel so bad? I say yes-my scale says NOOOOOO!!! Seriously though-this pasta looks so good and I love the mini quesadillas too! We’re big fans of Mexican here so this is another must try.
    Have to tell you Jenny-I made your Parmesan Crusted Ranch Green Beans and left you a comment-you made my husband’s night-he LOVED them…and was THRILLED that we weren’t having steamed green beans again!!!!!!!! Thanks for all the wonderful recipes you share-you’re an inspiration!!!!!!!!!! :)

Lisa says:

Minis are so cute. Believe it or not, not every grocery store carries chipotles in NJ.

hot garlic says:

I love the two for one! I have a few recipes in mind for it myself.

That Adobo Sour Cream looks and sounds fantastic. Did I miss the directions on how to make that or do you buy it like that in the Southwest?!

Both dishes look comforting and delicous, which one should I try first…

Kristen says:

I love mini food… it just tastes better for some reason :) Love what you’ve done with these recipes.

Bunny says:

you always make everything look so darn good!! Great recipes and pictures!!

Heather Bower says:

These look so yummy they are on my list to make this week. I’m new to your blog and I am so excited my friend told me about it. I love to cook and I do Pampered Chef so I am always looking for fun new recipes and yours look and sound wonderful. Yeppie. One question what and where in Arizona do you find 2-3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, chopped, from can and 2 14 oz cans Muir Glen Fire Roasted diced Tomatoes? Is there a certain store you find it at? Thanks I’m so excited to try them out.

Kim says:

I too love mini, so you are not going to get any help from me in stopping you. Quesadillas are so good, and yours look great.

Nina Timm says:

This is in my opinion the best way to lose a few pounds. Still eat what you like…just less. All these mini recipes are looking so good.

maris says:

I love these mini-recipes! Except for me, mini would not make me lose lbs…I would say to myself “Well since they’re so tiny, I can have five.” LOL!

Dave and Tricia Folsom Family Fun says:

Okay Jenny – I have a question about the Chipotle Chili’s. I made some einchiladas with them a few weeks ago and they were so SPICY we couldn’t even eat them. So if I add just two would it be that spicy or was it just my recipe? What’s the secret to adding their great flavor without all the HEAT! — Tricia

Thanks Everyone, I look forward to reading all of your comments!

Emiline, I am cracking up at your comment, I haven’t seen that creepy commercial with the pasta!

Heather,
    I forgot to mention the fire roasted tomatoes in the email I sent you. I also get them at my Super Walmart, but they can be found at just about any grocery store as well. At least in AZ. Muir Glen is the best around in my opinion. Good luck

Hi Tricia,
    I always try to start with just 1/2 or 1 chipotle at a time in my recipes tasting as I go along. I keep adding until I get the heat I like. If you can’t taste it, I’d only it’s best to add just a little sauce so at least you are getting the smoky flavor without as much heat. Hope this helps! Have a great weekend!

Kim A says:

Yummy Yummy Yummy I want mini queso’s in my tummy, yum yum they taste so good!

Dawn says:

I’m with you on the mini-theme, lately I’ve been baking bars over and over. Not sure why, but I noticed a pattern when I read your latest about mini’s. Anywho, these look fabulous, very creative.

Leslie says:

I love the minis! I have been seeing the mini pasta shapes in the grocery store! And the mini quesadillas are adorable!!

Aggie says:

Ok, you are unbelievable! These both look fantastic, but that pasta has really got me. I have to try it!!

Katie's blog says:

That pasta dish looks totally yummy – I just saw the commercial for the mini pastas also. I will have to go mini and try it myself!

Feed the Moose says:

lovin’ the mini quesadilla idea!

Prudy says:

Skinny mini gorgeous Jenny-where are you going to lose a few pounds from? If I was at your house, eating your food, mini sized or not, I’d be lovely hefty 3,000 pounds, I’m sure!:)
    It looks great. Can’t wait to hear about NY. Knock um dead!