Aug
2008

Once you Go Mini, You Don’t Go Back!

Tags: , , ,

Dinner

Can someone please stop me from making everything Mini?!! Is it because subconsciously I am trying to drop a few more pounds before I go to NY? I don’t know, maybe, but I am on some kind of mini kick and I’m loving it!

So, here I was late last night all ready to post, as I usually do Thursday night and I find I have no Internet due to a crazy monsoon storm. I hate when I don’t have my every day conveniences! The rain and lightening storm was great though. We hadn’t had a storm like it in ages.

I’m sticking with my “mini” theme and have come up with 2 great dishes that I know you’ll love! Every time I use chipotle chili’s, I think of one of the finalists on the Next Food Network Star that had never heard of it. Seriously?! I guess living in the ol’ Southwest there is chipotle in just about everything. It is one of my favorite ingredients to use. It adds a smokiness and a perfect spice to so many dishes.

Fist up is this great mini Farfalle spicy chicken pasta. I LOVE this pasta. This is another pasta I could eat just about everyday. I love fresh corn and black beans in southwest recipes. Look for the mini Farfalle pasta next time you are at the grocery store. They cook faster and they look so fun and small. Plan ahead and double the chicken part of the recipe to make the quesadillas below…..check it out. Hope you’ll all enjoy!

Mini Farfalle Chipotle Chicken Pasta in Fire Roasted Tomato Cream Sauce

1 lb Barilla Mini Farfalle pasta

2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
½ Cup white finely diced onion
2-3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, chopped, from can (3 if you like spicy)
1 fresh corn on the cob, kernels removed
1 Cup drained black beans
2 Cups diced cooked chicken
1/4 Cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped

2 14 oz cans Muir Glen Fire Roasted diced Tomatoes
½ Cup heavy cream
Pinch salt, pepper, garlic salt

1. Prepare pasta according to package directions, drain and set aside.

2. Heat 2 Tablespoons olive oil into large 5 qt skillet or dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, chipotle, corn, and beans. Cook for 5 minutes, until softened. Stir in cooked chicken and cilantro leaves until heated through, reduce heat to low and set aside.

3. Place both cans of tomatoes into food processor and pulse until nearly smooth. Pour into chicken mixture. Stir in cooked pasta; stir to combine. Stir in heavy cream, salt, pepper and garlic salt to taste. Cook until heated through and serve. Garnish with additional cilantro if desired.

8 servings
__________________________

Next up are my cute mini Quesadillas. They are bite size and sassy. Use your biscuit or round cookie cutter and make your own. It’s really as simple as that. Using the same chicken recipe as the pasta makes for 2 great meals in one shot, Enjoy!

Mmm, try it with the Adobo Sour Cream. This is my favorite!

Chipotle Chicken, Black Bean and Corn Mini Quesadillas

3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

30 2 1/2- 3inch round flour tortillas, cut with round cookie or biscuit cutter

2 Cups diced cooked chicken
2-3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce from can (3 if you like spicy)
1/4 Cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
1 fresh corn on the cob, kernels removed
1 Cup drained black beans

2 Cups shredded cheddar cheese

2 Cups light sour cream
2-3 Tablespoons adobo sauce from can of chipotle peppers

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Place tortillas onto a baking rack placed over a baking sheet. Brush tops of each tortilla with oil and bake for 5-7 minutes or until slightly golden brown. Remove and set aside.

2. Heat 2 Tablespoons olive oil into large skillet over medium heat. Add chicken, chipotle peppers, cilantro, corn and beans until heated through, about 5 minutes.

3. Sprinkle a thin layer of cheese over each bottom tortilla. Spoon a heaping Tablespoon of chicken mixture over cheese layer then sprinkle with a pinch more cheese. Lightly press a tortilla round over top. Repeat this process until chicken and tortillas are used up. Bake for 7-9 minutes or until cheese is melted. Combine sour cream and chipotle in a small bowl. Serve with a cilantro leaf garnished plate and top with chipotle sour cream if desired.

*Depending on what size you cut your tortillas you may need more or less to use all of filling. If you have a house full of non-spicy fans, only use 1 chipotle chili. You’ll still get the smoky flavor with less heat*

Have a Great Labor Day Weekend Everyone, I’ll be back soon with probably something mini!

Comments

Erin says:

Hi! I stumbled across your website because my friend has your link on her blog. Can I just tell you I LOVE it! You’re so funny and creative. I am living in Taiwan at the moment for my husband’s job and we have NO oven. It is rough. Do you have any good microwave or toaster oven recipes? Just kidding…well, kind of. You can actually do a lot in a toaster oven come to find out! I have put a bunch of your recipes in a folder and can’t WAIT to get back home and try them.

Carol says:

Both recipes look really delicious! I’m so glad I found your blog!

Jeena says:

Mini is so cool! :-D

Both recipes are so adorable! I love all the healthy ingredients you fit into such a tasty dish! I would love to come and have a Mexican cooked by you Jenny you have that magic touch for cooking it. All I can say is YUM!

Helene says:

I really like that ‘mini’ theme. I have to find the Barilla Mini Farfalle pasta. Haven’t seen them around here.

Anonymous says:

Hi,
    I tried your chipotle pasta and we loved the flavors. It was a bit too spicy (used 2 peppers) so next time I would use less just so the other flavors really come through! Also, maybe less pasta so its more saucy. It was a great way to use up some fresh sweet corn!!

Brooke says:

This look so delicious. I made your spaghetti cups and they were awesome. Your recipes never disappoint.

Mandy says:

I am also so in love with the mini barilla pastas! These recipes look fabulous, I’ve got the ingredients I need on my grocery list!

Erin says:

Thanks for taking the time to write and give your toaster oven suggestion “lasagna ciabatta.” I was able to find focaccia bread here in Taiwan! I had to adjust the ingredients a little (some things are scarce here) but my boys devoured them! Thanks again. I definitely needed help thinking outside the box. I look forward to your new recipes!!!

Ginger says:

can’t wait to try the chipotle recipes. seems like when a recipe calls for chipolte-I open the can but don’t use all and then it goes to waste. thanks…ginger

Rachel says:

I’m so excited to try these. I can’t seem to find the chipotle peppers in adobe sauce. Any clues as to where I can find it? Thanks.

Hi Rachel,
    I get my can at Walmart in the mexican food section. It’s close to the salsa, green chilies and enchilada sauce. It will say chipotle chili in adobo sauce

Andi says:

I just got a chance to make the pasta recipe tonight, and it was INSANE! So delicious! I only used one chipotle because I have a daughter who hates anything spicy, but there was enough of the flavor that I enjoyed it and she didn’t think it was too hot. Thanks for such a wonderful recipe! I’ll be making this one again.

Millie says:

what is the best way to cook the chicken?

Jaime says:

that flavor combo is always a hit! i think you’d like this salad too

Jenn says:

The Mini Farfalle Chipotle Chicken Pasta in Fire Roasted Tomato Cream Sauce was the first of your recipes I made. My picky picky husband loved it (so did I). He can not wait until I make it again. Thanks.

Allison says:

These were DELICIOUS! My husband said he felt like he was eating at a Mexican restaurant and that they were better than eating at his favorite burrito place (Chipotle-yum!) We loved them and not too hard to fix! Thanks for another great recipe!!!

[...] I like the snacky type lunches. Dinner was a new recipe that I found at Picky Palate. It was Mini Farfalle Chipotle Chicken Pasta in Fire Roasted Tomato Cream Sauce. cooked chicken mini bow-ties onions, beans, corn, jalapenos I didn't have chipotle peppers, [...]