Sep
2008

No Monkey Business!

Tags:

Breakfast and Brunch

I love 3 day weekends, but why do I get so mixed up as to what day it is. I was thinking it was Saturday all day today. I guess there are not too many Mondays we spend all day swimming and BBQ’ing. I was also able to squeeze in another yoga session this weekend and I am happy to report there were no tooters in class, thank goodness. I parked my mat in the corner by a nice lady to be safe!

This morning I had my cute niece Courtney over and we made these fun “mini” Monkey Bread inspired treats. This just confirmed my mini fetish, I am a freak! Talk about a breakfast treat. Cinnamon and sugar coated bread dough drenched in sweet buttery caramel sauce that turns crunchy and sweet, I was in heaven!

This is a great recipe to get the kids involved. The kids can help cut the dough into little pieces with their “safe” scissors and have fun tossing it in the cinnamon sugar mix. It takes a whole 10-15 minutes of prep time then it’s in the oven. It wouldn’t be a treat of mine without a sweet drizzle, so drizzle away!

Monkey Bread Bites with Sweet Cream Drizzle

1 roll Pillsbury French Bread Loaf

6 Tablespoons Sugar

3 Tablespoons cinnamon

½ Cup butter, (1 stick)

½ Cup brown sugar

½ Cup powdered sugar

2-3 Tablespoons heavy cream

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Remove bread roll from packaging and carefully unroll so it is in a rectangle. Fold dough in half with long ends folded over each other; press edges slightly. With scissors, cut dough into ½ inch strips then cut each strip into ½ inch little cubes. Combine sugar and cinnamon into a large bowl. Gently toss all pieces of dough into sugar mixture.

2. Spray a 12 count traditional muffin pan with non stick cooking spray. Divide bread pieces into the 12 muffin cups with or without paper liners. Set aside.

3. Place butter and brown sugar into a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir until melted and bubbly. Pour evenly over each muffin cup.

4. Bake for 18-20 minute or until bread is cooked through. Remove from oven and let sit in pan for 5 minutes before transferring to cooling rack.

5. Place powdered sugar into a small bowl and slowly whisk in heavy cream until smooth and desired drizzling consistency. Drizzle icing over each little cup. Serve monkey bites warm or at room temperature. I ate them all day and they were good warm or room temperature.

12 servings

Have a great short week! I’ll be back soon to post some of the good grub we had over the long weekend!

Comments

Kristen says:

We make these (call them Monkey Bread minis). Such a great recipe for small hands – my kids love to have these for breakfast!

Nikki says:

I can not wait to try these

OhioMom says:

Okay … I am so loving these, anything with yeast dough and cinnamon sugar and I am your girl :)

Copying and pasting this one!

CookiePie says:

My oh my, do those look scrumptious!!!

Stephanie says:

Oh how I LoVe your recipes! This one is definetly happening as soon as I can get to the store!

Yasmeen says:

Monkey bread looks delicious …this could be fun making with my 5yr old.

My Sweet & Saucy says:

Monkey Bread….just the tastiest thing ever! Looks so yummy! Perfect for your little monkey’s!

Kevin says:

That mini monkey bread looks really good. I have been wanting to try monkey bread for a while now.

Proud Italian Cook says:

Mmmmm, I just threw a whole wheat english muffin in the toaster, I’d much rather have these!

Susan from Food Blogga says:

Oh, my, how I’d love to pull a hunk of that bread off right now!

eatme_delicious says:

Ooo yumm.

Patsyk says:

I would love to eat those! They would be perfect for a weekend brunch!

Feed the Moose says:

I like the miniature version of this monkey bread recipe. Great idea!

Shawna says:

OH MY GOODNESS….these look delicious. Have you tried Paula Deen’s Gorilla Bread…if not, you have to…so delicious…I have to try these soon! I love that they are mini!!!

Jaime says:

mmmm that looks so tasty! i’ve never had monkey bread but i have seen it on several blogs now – i want some now!

[...] Monkey Bread Bites with Sweet Cream Drizzle (From: Picky Palate) [...]

LilSis says:

These bites looks delicious! Sounds like a fun recipe to let the kids help making!

Michelle says:

Ahhhh…Monkey Bread! One of my all time favorites and so much fun to make!

maggy says:

Monkey Bread is so good and dangerously addictive – like that they are mini so I know when to stop.

Fantastic! This looks so good – I would love to dip this into a cup of tea.

Tracy says:

I love monkey bread! Your glaze looks fabulous!

Monica G. says:

Oh My Goodness…these look super good! My daughter loves Cinnabon, and I think these’ll totally hit the spot!
    Thank You!
    (Love Your website, and the colors/style are my favorite too!)

Amy says:

So in the last 72 hours I have made this recipe twice!! I tried them in texas muffin tins. Perfect individual breakfast for 6! Haha everyone LOVED them. However I have a question: In step 1, where you toss the bread pieces in the sugar mixture, I’ve found that all the little pieces stick together… is that right? I had to tear them apart in big chunks. The second go around I tossed small batches separately but i found the buns didnt stick together very well. Tips?

Great idea, using muffin tins. I usually bake in the breadmaker, but this one looked quite fun so I gave it a go and turned out rather well! Thank you!

Robyn says:

DELICIOUS! I am a lover of monkey bread from the time I was little and this recipe hit the spot! We made your oreo stuffed chocolate chip cookies last night and the monkey bread muffins for breakfast. Think I’m gonna blame you for having to workout for an hour each day! :) I am a subscribed reader now and I can’t stop! I have mentioned your great site more than once on my blog, check it out: http://hotmomshelpfultips.blogspot.com/2011/08/monkey-bread-heaven.html
    Keep the calories coming! -Robyn