Sep
2008

Crisp, Sweet and What a Treat…

Tags: , ,

Breakfast and Brunch

Wow, where did the weekend go?! I feel like I just posted that gross restaurant in China and here it is already Sunday night. Well, so much for my “trying to eat light” before NY plan. I was doing so good until this weekend. We ate pasta until we busted tonight at my father-in-laws, I feel like a stuffed pig. Back to my plan first thing Monday!!

Ok, these peach berry crisps are a must try. With only a few ingredients, you’ll have this recipe in the oven in about 15 minutes. I used crisped blueberry bagels for the topping that is tossed with melted butter and sugar. Talk about heaven. The strawberries and peaches are warm, soft and sweet underneath the crisp buttery bagel topping. Please do yourself a favor and top your bowl with fresh whipped cream or vanilla ice cream. This is great for dessert or brunch. Enjoy!

I love when the cream starts melting down, watch each picture get tastier and tastier with the little river of cream.

Warm Peach Berry Bagel Crisp

2 whole blueberry bagels, halved (I used Chompies from Walmart)

1 lb hulled and quartered strawberries

1 lb fresh or jarred peeled, cubed peaches

½ Cup powdered sugar

2 ½ Tablespoons sugar

¼ Cup melted butter

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Place bagel halves cut sides up onto a baking sheet and bake until well crisped, about 15 minutes. Let cool, then place in food processor and pulse until broken into small pieces not completely ground. Place strawberries, peaches, 1 Cup of bagel pieces and powdered sugar into a large bowl; toss to combine. Transfer to a 7×11 inch baking dish/pyrex. Place remaining bagel crumbs, sugar and melted butter into a bowl to combine. Sprinkle over top of fruit. Bake for 30 minutes or until crust is browned and fruit is softened. Serve in individual bowls and top with ice cream or fresh whipped cream (1 Cup heavy cream whipped with 1 Tbsp powdered sugar until light and fluffy).

4 servings

___________________________________

Thanks to Anne Strawberry for the I Love You This Much Award, it’s so cute. Anne’s blog always leaves me starving. Her pictures and recipes are always tempting!

Here’s to a good week of lots of exercise and portion control for me!! See you all soon with more good eats!

Comments

Emily says:

Oooooo Jenny this sounds sooo good! Especially since summer will be over so soon! I love berries! The bagels are so inovative! Sounds like a keeper!

Pam says:

Looks like my kind of dessert. I love, love, love crisps!

My Sweet & Saucy says:

What a great idea…bagel chips for the crunch…I love it! You always do come up with fantastic ideas! Keep up the great blogging!

HoneyB says:

The cream totally gets me! Very creative with the bagels!

When is this trip to NY and where in NY? Of course I’m curious because I’m in NY!

Clumbsy Cookie says:

Lol! Loved the melting cream pictures! This is great and peachy! You must be super excited to go to NY! Are you counting the days?

Mary Ann says:

These looks so delicious! I love those mini-trifle dishes. I snatched up 8 of them as soon as I saw them. How inventive, using the bagels. Great job Jenny!

Lisa says:

I love the peach strawberry combinations. I find the weekends so hard to “be good”. Good luck in NY!

carol says:

Heaven in a dish! Fresh peaches are at their prime at the farm stands here now….strawberries…here’s hoping the grocery store has some good looking ones.
    That’s one great looking combo Ms. Jenny!
    And as far as portion control and trying to be good? I always start out doing great….then something happens and it all goes out the window…..oh well, there’s always tomorrow!!!! :)
    So you’re heading East huh? Fall’s a great time to be here…..

Patsyk says:

My mouth is watering!

Have fun in NY!! Can’t wait to hear where you go and what you did whne you get back!

Beth says:

Yummy. These look great. I suppose you could use any fruit thats in season really

Katrina says:

What a clever idea to use the bagels! This sounds so yummy and easy! (Maybe a great Enrichment refreshment! Hmmm.)Yeah, when are you going to NY? I’m going in Nov. Can’t wait!

Meg says:

That looks beyond delicious. I could go for some sweet crunchy bagel topping right now!!!

I have never tried bagels in a crisp before! What a fabulous idea!! Love the photos!

Live.Love.Eat says:

Wow, these are super unique with the bagels and all. And they do look dreamy. Good luck this week. I am right there with ya getting back to working out and eating smaller portions.

Hi Emily,
    This was such a treat with the blueberry bagels warm and crisp! Have a great day!

Thanks Pam,
    Me too, they are so comforting.

Thanks my Sweet and saucy!

Hi Shelby,
    Me too, I’m a sucker for warm sweet cream!

Yes Rita,
    I am totally counting down the days, I’ve got a zillion things to do before then so I better get off this computer!

Hi Mary Ann,
    I could totally kick myself. I only bought 2 the first trip to Walmart then realized I wanted to get more and now I can’t find them anywhere! It’s my own fault.

Yes Lisa,
    If it weren’t for the weekends I’d be doing just fine! I like to go out to dinner far too much to give it up!

Thanks Carol,
    I managed to find some good strawberries, but like someone else said, any fruit in season would be great in this dish! I am excited to go out east, it will be a first for my sister and I!

Thanks Patsy,
    I’ll be sure to share some pictures. I can’t wait to go to Levain Bakery, it’s so famous amongst us food bloggers!

Hi Beth,
    Yep, I think any good fruit in season would be great.

Hi Katrina,
    This is a great super easy treat. If you serve it at an enrichment just make sure it stays nice and warm somehow. It’s so great with the cold ice cream or whipped cream melting down the sides.

Hi Meg,
    I might just make the crisp bagel topping for breakfast! Drats, that would not go along with my program this week.

Thanks Maria!

Thanks Stephanie,
    Good luck with your workouts too! I need it!

Leslie says:

Again..you came up with a great dish..love the bagels!!! YUMMO

Candy says:

Looks delicous. And you look mahvalous! Don’t worry about NYC!

Culinarywannabe says:

This looks so refreshing and yummy. Love the idea of the bagel topping – how unique!

Kim A says:

Maybe if you comment on my blog, I’ll comment on yours :D J/k….can you say NEW YORK HERE WE COME!!!

Laura says:

A friend told me about your blog and I just love it! You have so many fresh ideas, I get so bored so easily in the kitchen, thanks for inspiring me, I tell lots of people about this blog, thanks!

Jackie says:

I just stumbled upon our blog, and I think you might be my new hero =0)

Everything looks SO amazing!

Emiline says:

I love the little trifle dishes!

Yeah, I had good intentions to diet this week, but it did not happen! I’m eating chocolate cake right now.

Heather says:

Who’da thought blueberry bagels could be put to such a use. Very creative and fresh Jenny!

hot garlic says:

Seriously, bagels?! Wow, I never would have thought of that. I love crisps, and you’re so right about cream or ice cream, it is a MUST -I almost can’t eat it without!

Thanks Leslie!

You are too sweet Candy, I’ve got lots of work to do and am running out of time!!

Thanks Culinarywannabe,
    I was pleasantly surprised at how good the bagels turned out in the crisp.

Kimmy,
    I always visit your blog, silly girl! Now, go get ready for NY!

Laura,
    So glad you found my blog! Hope you’ll continue to find more recipes you’ll enjoy!

Jackie,
    So glad you stumbled upon me here. You are too sweet! Thanks for your comment, come back soon!

Hey Emiline,
    Yah, diet schmiet!

Thanks Heather!

Thanks Natalie,
    The cream is a must! Have a great day!

Anne says:

Jenny those are adorable! I love anything with peaches right now and your glasses are so cute! Keep up the great work and good luck with your week- I’m sure you’ll do awesome!

Katherine Aucoin says:

Jen these look fabulous. Using bagel is such a unique idea. The kind of dessert I like, indulgence you can feel good about.

Lucy says:

Looks simply marvelous!! Loving all those flavors & textures, yummo!!

Allie says:

Love the addition of bagel chips who would have thought? You’re so creative. Hope you have a great time in NY!

Michele says:

Thanks so much for stopping by my site Jenny! I’m with you on the portion control and lots of exercise this week. Weekends are always the worst. Your peach berry crisp looks divine! I never would have thought of using bagels for the topping…what a great idea!

Bridgett says:

I am all for a healthy indulgence and this looks perfect. Gorgeous photos too!

Thanks Anne, I’m getting there, it’d be so much easier to eat well if I didn’t blog!

Thanks Katherine,
    I agree, at least there is fruit in it!

Thanks Lucy.

Hi Allie,
    Thanks, I must say I was surprised at how good the bagels were in this dish.

Thanks Michelle,
    I look forward to visiting your blog often!

Thanks Bridgett!

Dawn says:

Oooo I love the melted cream too. Love these easy yet tasty treats. Bring more, bring more please.

Jaime says:

Oh yum! I have been wanting to make something yummy for dessert, and this is going to be top on my list. Delish!

Autumn says:

That looks delicious! We love warming berries and pouring them over vanilla ice cream…mmm…

Deborah says:

I’ve never thought to do bagels as a topping! Beautiful dessert!

These peach berry crisps look delicious!

Tracy says:

Yum, does this sound good! I love warm berry desserts. :-)

Maggy says:

This looks scrumptious! So simple too. Great recipe!

ivoryhut says:

I love crispy creamy sweet treats. I think I just found my next favorite way to use up bagels!

Fun idea to use blueberry bagels as the topping. This is the perfect summertime dessert.