Oct
2008

Goulish Delights for Your Ghosts and Goblins…

Tags: ,

Appetizers and Sides

Hi Everyone, hope you are all enjoying this nice weekend! I don’t think I’ve ever posted Saturday afternoon, it’s nice to actually be home relaxing, it’s a great cloudy day here in AZ.

I don’t know about you guys, but Halloween is hands down one of my boys’ favorite holiday. Free candy, and everything creepy, crawly and spooky is so exciting to little boys, well most kids for that matter! They beg and plead to go to the “halloween” isle in EVERY store we go to so they can press EVERY “try me” button in sight then run around like crazy animals. Half the time I’m freaked out by the stuff they have for sale these days, I’d have run for the hills if I saw some of this when I was a kid!

We had so much fun making these fun treats to get excited for Halloween. Hope you all will enjoy them too!

Breadstick Mummy Dogs

1 roll/pkg Pillsbury Breadstick dough (12 count)

12 hot dogs

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Unroll all 12 breadsticks from package. Cut each into 3 equal strips. Take 3 strips, one at a time and wrap around 1 hot dog starting from the top of the hot dog. (Each hot dog has 3 thin breadstick strips around it). Leave a small space towards the top of the hotdog to make mustard eyes. Continue wrapping all dogs then place on a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until lightly golden brown.

2. Remove and let cool for 5 minutes. Use mustard or ketchup for the eyes.

Bug-apillar Banana Dude

The boys loved this bug-apillar banana dude. It’s great for them to get their hands dirty and help put the pieces together. Little banana legos.

Bug-apillar Banana Dude

1 ripe banana

Creamy Peanut Butter

Pretzel Sticks

Raisins

Red Fruit Snacks

1. Cut banana into 1 inch slices. Spread a thin layer of peanut butter on each slice (minus the last piece) then press gently back together, curving slightly if desired. Break pretzel sticks in half, then press into sides of banana for legs. Dip 2 raisins in peanut butter and stick on front banana slice for eyes, then dip red fruit snack in peanut butter and stick on bottom of banana slice for the tongue.

Ooozing Monster Apple Mouths

These are so much fun. You might have to play with a couple apples to get the wedge just right on the skin side of the apple, just takes a little practice. To get the oozing effect, I used my husbands “organic” peanut butter which is ultra creamy, otherwise you can just heat up your regular peanut butter for a few seconds in the microwave. Enjoy!

Ooozing Monster Apple Mouths

1 large Apple of choice

Peanut Butter

Mini Marshmallows

1. Core then cut the apple into fourths. Cut out a small wedge on the skin side of the apple. Blot inside with a paper towel then spread lightly with creamy peanut butter. Cut mini marshmallows in half and place over peanut butter to make the teeth.

Enjoy the rest of the Weekend, see ya’ll soon!

Comments

www.adorn-jewelry.blogspot.com says:

so cute. if you cut thos apples with a crinkle cutter they look like monster mouths!

Deborah says:

I’m a huge halloween fan, so I’m loving it all!!

Patsyk says:

OMG! Soon as I clicked on your post, I had a huge smile on my face! Those treats and hotdogs are completely adorable!

My boys have to touch each and every halloween decoration, too… I would have freaked out as a kid, but they just love the stuff!

What fun treats! I can’t wait to have my niece over to try these! I am sure she will love them and I will too! I am a big kid at heart:)

Sara says:

What fun halloween treats! I love them all, and I want to try them. We love halloween at our house. I can’t believe it is already here.

Live.Love.Eat says:

Jenny, these are just too cute to eat!!! I love the mummy especially. Hah. You should have a party just because of these cute little creatures.

Noor says:

You come up with the most cute recipes. You sure have some lucky boys (but hey they know that I bet). I love all these fall recipes that come out around this time of year so much. I can not wait until Talal is old enough for me to make fun recipes like this. Any excuse for a cook to cook is happy times in our eyes, right lol..

Dawn says:

Okay those mummies are hands down ADORABLE! How creative.

Aggie says:

I could have sworn I left a comment the other day…hmmm…maybe I messed up on the “word” down there and didn’t realize!!

These are awesome Jenny! Great ideas! I can’t wait to make them for the kids!

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe says:

That is to funny!
    Only a Mom would think these things up. I love it!

Marisa says:

This is sooooo darling! I can’t wait to try these out. My youngest guy is so picky and I can’t wait to try these out on him as a fun way to get him to eat more than just carbs. I’m also in charge of the preschool fall festival–so I know these will be a hit. Thanks!

Satisfying my Sweet Tooth says:

I seriously love Halloween food! I’m so excited to make these for my kids. They will love them!

1215656559s20768 says:

These are all too cute, Jenny. very creative. I bet your boys just loved them!

Katie says:

These are all so cute! I LOOOOVE the apple mouths!

Katrina says:

Fun, yummy, tasty, healthy ideas for kids!

Caitlin says:

Those are too cute! Earlier today I saw a pic with the apples, but the just cut the slits and shoved almonds in for teeth. It looked gross, but cute. :)

Barton Family says:

We’ve made the mummy dogs before and the kids squealed with delight…so much fun!!! BTW, have you seen the seriouslysoblessed.blogspot.com blog…it’s crazy funny…I think you would like it!!!

Feed the moose says:

I love, love, love the ghost hot dogs! Especially the mustard eyes! What a riot!

Simply...Gluten-free says:

This is my first time here. SO creative! I will be back.

Jaime says:

Thanks for the ideas. I think I’ll be making the mummy’s on Halloween night. Sounds like a great food prior to the night out. Thanks for all your terrific ideas. I just drool every time I visit your site. Happy Halloween!

hot garlic says:

Freaky! I keep forgetting Halloween exists since here they’ve skipped right to Christmas! It makes me sad, I love Halloween! I guess church is putting on a little party, it will be like Halloween in AZ -Laine can finally be a fairy princess instead of a Mummy or Obominable Snowman!

These are great, kids love this stuff. I need to be more festive like you!

Rachel@oneprettything.com says:

Are you interested in adopting an adult in her late 20′s??? =)

I’ll be linking to this post!

Me says:

You can also make the hot dog mummies with rhodes rolls — they have the instructions on their site.

Gabi @ Mamaliga says:

Hilarious!!! I love the creativity for Halloween!

Ciao!

Gabi @ Mamaliga.com

PaniniKathy says:

Oh man, those are so amazingly cute! Can’t wait till my daughter and her little friends are older so we can have Halloween fun like this (although I’m looking forward to at least the cute costumes this year!).

Netta says:

YIPPEE! I just discovered your site and I’m nearly shouting out loud for joy! What fun ideas… thank you for sharing!

Lori says:

oh, i love these – i can’t wait to make the mummy dogs for my boys and their friends!

DandL says:

What cute ideas!! I can’t wait to make the mummy dogs. So glad I found your site!!

this is great! I have been trying to figure out what I can do with hot dogs for halloween. I have 20 kids coming over sat for a halloween party. this is perfect!!!

desertdiva says:

I’m using this for cub scout pack meeting treat tonight!

Barbie says:

Can’t wait to make Mummy Dogs for play group tomorrow! Thanks so much!

Joshua says:

We made both of these today, and the kids thought they were great!! Thanks for posting these great ideas on your web page:)

[...] Read the rest of the recipe over at Picky Palate. And don’t forget to scroll down to see more tasty ghoulish treats. [...]

[...] all…Just a hot dog wrapped in a crescent roll with a mustard face on it to resemble a mummy. Goulish Delights for Your Ghosts and Goblins…, Picky Palate 4 Oct 2009. How to Make Mummy Hot Dogs for Halloween. This is a fun way to celebrate the Halloween [...]

[...] easy to put together Mummy Dogs from Picky Palate are sure to be a hit for [...]

Love these ideas for halloween!!

jeremy says:

when should the mummies be made? 5 minutes before they are eaten? Can you make them a few hours in advance, refrigerate and just reheat them?

Want to have them as finger foods at a halloween party, but can’t be making them while the party is going on.

[...] DOGS from picky-palate.com 1 roll/pkg Pillsbury Breadstick dough (12 count) 12 hot dogs 1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. [...]

Helpful information. Lucky me I discovered your site unintentionally, and I’m stunned why this twist of fate didn’t came about earlier! I bookmarked it.

[...] For the squeamish, we offer appetizing treats as well: cobweb cupcakes and  mummies. [...]

[...] For the squeamish, we offer appetizing treats as well: cobweb cupcakes and  mummies. [...]

Rigoberto says:

Oh my goodness! Incredible article dude! Thanks, However I am
    encountering difficulties with your RSS. I don’t know
    the reason why I can’t subscribe to it. Is there anybody getting identical RSS problems?
    Anyone who knows the solution can you kindly respond?
    Thanks!!