Oct
2008

Famous Gourmet Mac and Cheese, Artisanal Style…

Tags:

Appetizers and Sides

Well, we survived day one of Fall Break around here. I even made it through the day without hearing, “I’m bored Mom, what are we going to do today that’s fun?!” So, we’re off to a good start!

While in NYC a couple weeks ago, I had the opportunity to dine at Artisanal Fromagerie & Bistro with 2 nice ladies from Pillsbury, which was a complete treat! The second you step foot into the quaint restaurant, you are overwhelmed with the smell of crazy cheeses. Some may think it stinks, but something about it reminded me of being in Paris even though I’ve never been. The menu was simple yet impressive and had me drooling trying to decide what to order. I ended up ordering a Summer Vegetable Risotto that was seriously incredible. I nearly licked the bowl clean and didn’t care who was watching. I couldn’t have lived with myself had I not ordered a side of mac and cheese. We heard from numerous people that it’s the best around. Let me tell you, it did not disappoint! Buttery crispy panko bread crumbs on top and cheesy pasta goodness underneath cooked in the cutest individual baking dishes. It was by far one of my favorite mac and cheeses yet.

The best part of this post is Chef Brennan shares and even demonstrates his famous mac and cheese recipe on howdini.com for all of us to enjoy. I ended up making it 2 different times last week and it tastes identical to one I ordered at the restaurant. Talk about hitting the jackpot! Next time you need to impress some guests, break out this recipe and bring a little fine dining to your kitchen tables!

Chef Terrance Brennan’s Gourmet Mac and Cheese

1 1/2 cups elbow macaroni

7 ½ Tbs Butter, divided

¼ Cup plus 2 Tablespoons Flour

3 Cups milk

2 ¼ Cups gruyere, shredded

½ Cup mascarpone cheese

¾ Cup bread crumbs

¼ Cup Parmesan Reggiano, grated

salt and fresh ground pepper

1. Bring 2 quarts of salted water to a boil and add the elbow macaroni. Cook until it’s al dente, approximately 6 to 8 minutes.
  2. While the macaroni is boiling, slowly melt 5 1/2 Tbs of butter over medium high heat in a medium sauce pan.
  3. Add the flour, stirring, cook together for a minute or so. Do not brown the mixture; you want a blonde roux. Add the milk, whisking to avoid lumps. Bring mixture to a boil and continue whisking. Lower heat and simmer for about five minutes until it thickens.
  4. While the milk is simmering, combine 2 Tbs butter and the bread crumbs, and melt together in a separate pan.
  5. Add the Parmesan cheese. This adds another layer of flavor so it’s not one-dimensional. Just cook until the butter is melted. Remove from heat.
  6. When the milk is ready, add the mascarpone cheese. Then add gruyere cheese and whisk it in, and as soon as until it’s melted, remove from the heat. This will happen quickly because the gruyere cheese should be grated and at room temperature.
  7. Season with salt and black pepper and whisk to combine. Add the macaroni to the cheese sauce, mix it well, and when it’s nicely incorporated, spoon it out into a cooking dish.
  8. Sprinkle the bread crumbs on the top, using your hands to pat it down to make sure it’s nice and evenly dispersed all over the surface. The topping becomes very crunchy when it bakes. Cook for about 35-40 minutes in a 350 degree oven until golden brown and bubbly.

Enjoy your mac! I’ll be back with more smack, ok I’m totally lame.

Comments

Megan says:

i’m away at college right now and i have been dying for some of my mom’s mac and cheese. i think i might have her try your recipe next time :) sounds (and looks!) absolutely delicious!

That Girl says:

This looks fabulous. My topping never comes out as well.

Bunny says:

Oh this looks devine! Next time you make it call me I’ll be there!

hot garlic says:

Oh. My. Gosh. HEAVEN! This looks amazing. It would count as dessert, but may be the one dish I would make an exception for on my rule about that!

Kevin says:

This mac n cheese sounds so creamy and good!

Jeena says:

This is such a comfort food it looks amazing!

Snooky doodle says:

Nice recipe. Think its time to try this amzing dish :)

Potato Chef says:

I almost fell down laughing when I read, “Back with more smack”!!

Mac and Cheese…loved it as a kid.
    Still love it as an adult.

Dawn says:

Oh yes, this is definitely a good kicked up version of mac & cheese.
    I would eat this with a nice cold glass of white wine. Mmmm, that sounds so good right now. Wine and cheese always go so well together.

CookiePie says:

That looks like heaven in a bowl!!!

Meghan says:

My mouth is watering over here.
    Ya know, I am only 90 mins from NYC…I see a trip for some of this in my near future!

jamie j says:

So, it looks and sounds fabulous….but, I was sorely dissapointed when at the store, buying the indredients realized it would cost me $20.00 or more!!! to make. Sorry, but I just can’t do that with 4 kids and a budget.

Hi Jamie,
    I hear ya, I wish this dish was a little more economical. You’ll have to save it for a special occasion.

Tiff Gatten says:

Love your blog. Sadly, I can’t find pumpkin kisses anywhere in Utah. What store did you buy them in? My friend even asked a Hershey Rep. He said he’d never seen them to ask you what store because Hershey does promos for stores.

Hi Tiff,
    I bought mine at Super Target in Gilbert AZ. I had a friend also see them at a Walgreens drug store. Hopefully they’ll get more out. They’d be great for Thanksgiving too!

tbh says:

Hi Jenny, I am not normally a Mac & Cheese lover, but it is cold and snowy here in Northern Utah and this looks like the perfect comfort food. I am going to link this recipe to my blog!! Check us out: http://platesandpalates.blogspot.com/.

Tami says:

I made the Mac and Cheese tonight for dinner and it was a thumbs up from all. I used low carb pasta for the hubster (no one knew) and it tasted great!! Thanks for the great recipe!!

Jaime says:

mmmmm that looks like such great comfort food

Carrie says:

So wait, the parm goes in with the breadcrumbs, not the milk mixture, right?

Hi Carrie,
    Yes, the parmesan goes in with the bread crumbs, good luck!

PheMom says:

See! This is why I come here! This looks a bit like my favorite recipe (from Martha) but I think I might like this one better. I’m not even kidding though that this is why I come here – I was JUST in the kitchen looking at the mascarpone in my fridge and trying to decide what I was going to make with it. Yay! Thanks for sharing!

Hangover Cure says:

Excellent site, added to favorites!

[...] Cheese recipe from Use Real Butter Mushroom-Herb Macaroni and Cheese recipe from Brown Eyed Baker Chef Terrance Brennan’s Gourmet Mac n’ Cheese recipe from Picky Palate Slow-Roasted Tomato Macaroni and Cheese recipe from The Perfect [...]

Tilly Holmes says:

Low Carb diet is really the best diet if you want to reduce weight and also to maintain a healthy body.~*.

[...] smooth & creamy, with a buttery panko crust. And guess what! Jenny has this famous gourmet mac and cheese recipe from Chef Brennan himself up on her blog! Artisanal mac and cheese at home? I will totally be [...]

[...] reading a few of her posts about her adventures in NYC I jumped over to the Picky Palate  and grabbed a grown-up mac & cheese recipe.  I can not wait to try [...]

[...] Amanda’s fabulous blog I’ve discovered so many other amazing bloggers, one being Picky Palate. When I saw her post on “Famous Gourmet Mac and Cheese” I knew I had to try it. The [...]

Alana says:

WOW this makes me hungry !!! Im definitely Making this ! :D :D :D

[...] food, Picky Palate has a great recipe for a gourmet version of the lunchroom staple, Mac & Cheese. Although you could also consider serving sandwiches in decorated brown paper bags. Decorating the [...]

HiThere says:

I made this today for thanksgiving and honestly i was disappointed. it sounded so amazing but the flavor was so mild as to be almost flavorless. the panko did make it nice and crusty on the top though, which was very nice. i think next time i will just stick to a sharp cheddar mac and cheese recipe.

Gwen says:

Maybe you didn’t use a nice strong gruyere? The one I got at Whole Foods cost $12 but was plenty flavorful and the parmesan/panko topping was great.

I liked as much as you will obtain performed right here. The comic strip is tasteful, your authored subject matter stylish. however, you command get bought an shakiness over that you would like be delivering the following. unwell surely come more formerly again as precisely the same just about a lot often inside of case you shield this increase.

I do consider all of the concepts you’ve presented on your post. They’re really convincing and will certainly work. Nonetheless, the posts are very short for newbies. Could you please lengthen them a bit from next time? Thank you for the post.

Excellent writeup, it definitely had me thinking. I shall bookmark this page!

Gwen says:

Could you please tell me how to reheat this? I made it last night (with NY strip and asparagus, salad and wine!) but now it’s morning and I NEED some more! Don’t want a goopy oily mess :(

[...] is called Picky Palate. Can you think why I might be interested in her blog? Mr Fussy. Jenny had a Mac & Cheese recipe. And it’s that recipe that I adapted to make tonight’s [...]

Guinnevere says:

I discovered this recipe of yours last Thanksgiving and have made it about four times since then (and gained a bit of weight lol).

I am making it again for an informal mac n cheese contest amongst friends tomorrow and thought I’d let you know how wonderful it is! It has replaced the below recipe as my favorite mac n cheese, thanks so much for sharing it with us all! I can’t wait to dig in tomorrow.

Tracy says:

How many does this recipe serve?

Laurie H says:

Do you really only put 1 1/2 cups of macaroni? I ended up puttin more in. It seemed like I had more liquid than pasta.

Wallace says:

I have read so many articles regarding the blogger lovers
    but this post is truly a good piece of writing, keep it up.

[…] cheese obsessions) and this mascarpone-stuffed french toast looks AMAZING. Ditto for this mascarpone mac and cheese. – […]

Meredith says:

I made this last night and it was beyond delicious! My two little ones devoured it and had seconds.

Beth says:

Has anyone actually made this??