Nov
2008

Double Chocolate Little Cinnamon Spice Cakes with Caramel Butter Cream

Tags:

Desserts

Good early early Monday morning Everybody! Hope everyone enjoyed Halloween with the kids over the weekend. My Buzz Lightyear and Spiderman had a blast as usual!

Tell me I’m not the only one who has been pounding way too much of the kids’ Halloween candy this weekend. It’s everywhere! As if we haven’t had enough sweets, here’s some fancy little chocolate cupcakes to tempt your sweet tooth even more. I added more of those hard to find cinnamon chips to the cake batter…delish! The caramel butter cream frosting is flat out fabulous and completely dangerous I must add. Anyone have any luck finding cinnamon chips lately? Do share with all of us.

Take a peek and enjoy!

20 soft caramels, like werthers or kraft

¼ Cup milk

2 egg yolks

¼ Cup powdered sugar

2 sticks softened butter

3 Cups powdered sugar

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a stand or electric mixer beat cake mix, oil, water, eggs, sour cream and pudding on medium speed for 2 minutes. Stir in cinnamon chips on low. Fill 24 traditional cupcake size cups ¾ full. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick comes clean from center. Remove and let cool completely.

2. Place caramels and milk into a medium saucepan over medium low heat until melted and smooth, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and cool for 10 minutes. Place egg yolks and powdered sugar into a stand mixer with the whisk attachment. Whisk until well combined. Slowly beat in melted caramel until well combined. Transfer to a covered bowl and refrigerate until chilled, a couple hours or overnight. When chilled, beat butter and caramel in a stand mixer until whipped. Slowly beat in powdered sugar until fluffy. Spread on cooled cupcakes and serve.

24 cupcakes

____________________________

We got some good laughs at my 3 year old who crashed sitting up on the way home. This kid will sleep about anywhere!

Have a great week everyone! See you soon with some easy weeknight dinners!

Comments

Mary Ann says:

That picture of your son asleep on the way home from trick or treating is too funny! You really wore him out!
    These cakes look and sound delicious. I am seriously in love with your pan that makes these little cakes so tall!

Katherine Aucoin says:

This sounds and looks like the ultimate holiday treat. I can’t wait to try this!

Camilla says:

These look so yummy Jenny! I love a good doctored cake mix :) And your boys are so cute!

Allie says:

P.S. I have an award for you on my blog. :)

The Blonde Duck says:

You can never have too many cupcakes!

Katrina says:

Cute Buzz!

Live.Love.Eat says:

I love Buzz and Spidey. 2 of my favorites from my past and present!!! It’s nice to see a picture of the whole fam. And these little cakes look so good!!!!

Deborah says:

I think I’d be happy just eating that frosting with a spoon!

Emiline says:

Mmm, those little cakes look scrumptious!

I need to pick up some cinnamon chips immediately.

pam s. says:

The cakes look awesome. Do you use a special pan,they look different than regular cupcake pans. I think I have seen some pans like this…would be nice to have. Also will you let us know when your Pillsbury videos are on the site. They have so many,I love watching them. Thanks

Anne says:

Those look wonderful! I’m dying for some of those cinnamon chips. I love the family picture (it’s amazing where kids can sleep!)

Kevin says:

Those cakes look good and I really like the sound of that caramel butter cream!

Proud Italian Cook says:

I’m hording a couple bags in my pantry! :) Love your little cakes Jenny!

ConversationsWithACupcake says:

For the love of pete! I have to get me some of those cinnamon chips. You do SO much with them! I don’t know if I’d ever think of half the uses you do.
    You’re amazing!

Cari says:

I went to the Hershey website and they have a store locator for their products. I picked the cinnamon chips, put in my zip code and it popped out 4 locations in my area of Memphis, TN. I was so excited because I have looked at Wal-mart and Kroger but couldn’t find, but their website said to try Shnucks and I went last night and there they were! Now I can try your yummy recipes with the cinnamon chips!

Katie says:

Those look absolutely delicious! Now only if I could find cinnamon chips…

Colleen says:

Wow, these look amazing! Definitely starring them!

Kelly says:

Wow…these look delicious! Off to find the cinnamon chips…

Joanna says:

those cupcakes look soo decadent!!! unwrapping those annoying caramels is always worth it in the end when you have to make a caramel dessert.

Denissa says:

One of my little ones was Buzz too! Just wanted to let you know that I found the cinnamon chips!! I was so excited that I bought three bags! I found them at Winco, just thought you would like to pass on.

Prudence says:

Wow! Looks scrumptious!! I love the pics of the kids too! How cute he fell asleep!!

Bunny says:

I love these little cakes Jenny! I’ve never had caramel Butter cream frosting before it sounds great!!!

Zesty Cook says:

These look amazing. I am in love with the icing!! great post

zesty

Satisfying my Sweet Tooth says:

You have such a cute family. I love it when my kids are so tired they fall asleep at the dinner table even! Quick question…it doesn’t look like you used a normal muffin tin but I love how the cupcakes look. What kind of pan did you use?

Joie de vivre says:

Wow, those do look good. I too have been having too much of the kids Halloween candy!

Cinnamon says:

Try using real Cinnamon in your recipe and reduce on the sugar.

The Cinnamon that we buy in the US is actually Cassia.

Cassia has a chemical called coumarin which could be toxic.

Please click the link below to read more.

We Are Never Full says:

i love that those ‘cakes’ are tall… more to love (and eat)!

Mom2three says:

I just found your blog this afternoon. This looks so delicious!!! Way too pretty and yummy looking to be cupcakes. I want to try these and the French Toast dessert. Looks Way too sinful! Thanks for posting! Can’t wait to see your next creation.

Katie's blog says:

Ok, that just looks sinfully delicious!!

[...] buttercream icing” my tastebuds smile.  best idea ever, Ms. Picky Palate!) from this recipe and the cupcake batter from this recipe to make [...]

Shauna says:

I make these with butterscotch chips and they are fantastic!

Tracy says:

Mmm, that caramel buttercream looks divine!!

Wow, these look like little cakes of heaven! Yum!

I love these mini cakes! Your kids are so sweet.

Maggy says:

These look delicious! You had me at “double chocolate” – YUM!

[...]   In Marie Antoinette’s famous words, here is a recipe for cupcakes that they’ll love – the Double Chocolate Cinnamon Spice Cakes with Caramel Butter Cream Frosting. Recipe and photos by Jenny Flake at Picky Palate. [...]

[…] Chocoholics beware – this is one dangerously delicious cupcake recipe! With indulgent caramel buttercream frosting they make for an incredibly moreish treat. Cinnamon chips give a wonderful aroma and add to the rich, sweet flavour of the cupcakes. This is definitely more of a sweet-tooth’s cupcake, rather than a palate cleanser, and would be perfect served with afternoon tea in the coming autumn months to warm you up on a cold day. An undeniable benefit is that even for those with a serious chocolate addiction, one of these little cupcakes will satisfy your craving for a good few hours! Source Picky Palate […]