Don't miss a single recipe from Picky Palate: sign up for my weekly newsletter

Nov
2008

2 Fall Lovin’ Recipes…

Tags: , , , ,

Breakfast and Brunch

Good Sunday morning everybody! Thanks to all those who participated in the POM giveaway. Congrats to commenter #202, Bunny from Bunny’s Warm Oven Blog who won the POM coupons by a random drawing. Congrats Bunny, email me with your mailing address so I can get your coupons out to you!

Phew, I felt like a new woman Saturday afternoon. I finally used up a gift card for a massage and facial I received last Christmas. I had to laugh after my massage was over because when I went in, I was picturing just a nice easy going gentle massage and what I got was some intense deep tissue deal, glutes and all (is that normal?! Totally akward!) I was literally cringing most of the time and waiting for it to be over. I don’t know why I didn’t say something, next time I’ll know to say “I’d like the easy massage!”. Now, my facial however, was a dream. I loved every minute of it and am going to try and talk my husband into letting me do it often. What a complete treat. Ok, yada yada, I could go on and on, but lets move on….

Up first is this fabulous fall lovin’ Pumpkin Pie Rice Pudding I created for an upcoming 3-A-Day of dairy post. Now, you either love rice pudding or you hate it. I happen to absolutely LOVE it and this one is crazy good. Go on and treat yourself to a little rice pudding this holiday season. Top it with a little fresh whipped cream and you’ll be even happier!

Spiced Pumpkin Pie Rice Pudding

3 Cups cooked jasmine rice

2 ½ Cups 2% milk

¾ Cup prepared pumpkin puree, such as Libby’s

½ Cup granulated sugar

¼ Cup brown sugar

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1/8 teaspoon kosher salt

3 inch cinnamon stick

1 fresh vanilla bean

1. Place cooked rice, milk, pumpkin, sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt and cinnamon stick into a medium dutch oven or heavy bottom pan over medium low heat. Stir to combine. Split vanilla bean in half length wise and scrape out the seeds with the back of the knife. Add seeds and split bean into rice mixture; stir to combine. Let rice simmer for 15-20 minutes or until thick and creamy. Before serving discard vanilla bean halves and cinnamon stick. Sprinkle tops of each bowl with brown sugar if desired.

6 servings

__________________________

Caramel Apple Upside Down French Toast Bake

Next is this naughty brunch style French toast I put together. It is sweet and could be eaten as a dessert no problem. There’s just something about warm spiced apples and French toast that just makes you feel so darn good. I had to pretend there were no calories in this one so I could enjoy every bite. If you don’t have large ramekins, I’m assuming you could use a generously greased 7×11 inch baking dish. You’d have to have a large enough serving dish to flip it onto. Enjoy!!

Caramel Apple Upside Down French Toast Bake

½ Cup brown sugar

1 Tablespoon corn syrup

4 Tablespoons butter

5 medium apples, peeled and thinly sliced

3 eggs slightly beaten

½ Cup milk

1 teaspoon vanilla

¼ teaspoon salt

8 sliced cinnamon swirl bread

1. Place brown sugar, corn syrup and butter into a large skillet over medium heat. Stir until melted and just starting to bubble. Stir in apples and cook for 5 minutes. Reduce heat to low and set aside.

2. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk vanilla and salt until well combined. Spray 4 large 2 Cup capacity ramekins with nonstick cooking spray. Divide apple mixture evenly into ramekins then place 2 pieces of cinnamon bread over top, pressing gently. Pour egg mixture evenly over each ramekin. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Uncover each ramekin and bake in oven for 40-50 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean from center of each. Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes. Carefully place your serving plate on top of ramekin and flip over so that apples are now on top. Serve warm.

4 Servings

Have a great start of your week!! I’ll be back soon with more goodies to share including my favorite Chicken Chili and Cornbread!

Comments

Sara says:

Both recipes look great, I’m always looking for more fun pumpkin desserts.

biz319 says:

I can’t stand massages, they make me laugh! But facials are a dream! I just got my daughter a teenage package at a foofy salon for a Christmas gift last year – now she’s hooked!

Sara says:

These both look amazing. I can almost taste them. Great fall recipes.

My Sweet & Saucy says:

Wow, this looks so cozy and delicious! Wish I had some right now!

Kaitlin says:

Thanks for the warm welcome! I’ve been wanting to get in on the whole food blogging thing for awhile, but once I saw the amazing things you ladies create, I couldn’t compare! However, I couldn’t resist and I started one =)

Funny story actually..
    My husband and I were watching a Pillsbury cook-off on food network, I think it was the chicken one. So we watched it and yada yada later that evening I was checking up on my fave food blogs that I visit and I often look for links to new ones, and I went to Picky Palate, and I saw your little thumbnail pic and said to myself “that ALMOST looks like one of the ladies on that challenge earlier” and I told my husband and said I was going to check out her name and what state she lives in from her profile, and then google the Pillsbury challenge, and sure enough it was you! Pure coincidence! So that was about 5 months ago or so and I’ve been visiting your blog ever since! I absolutely love it, your recipes always look scrumptious, and I can’t ever get over how good your pictures look, you take the cutest angles and everything, I just love it! So before I write you a novel here, I just wanted to say thanks again for the warm welcome, when I got my first comment and it was from you I told my husband look it’s the Pillsbury girl!! Hehe =)

Live.Love.Eat says:

Both look awesome Jenny, especially the apple dish. I also love a really good facial and think they’re even better than a massage sometimes. Just so relaxing!!!!!!

teresa says:

I cannot WAIT to try your rice pudding, it looks divine!

Libby says:

Holy cow Jenny! Look at all of your comments! Woo Hoo! I can’t wait to try making that french toast-yum!! It was good talking to your hubby the other day. He filled me in on your upcoming adventure! How exciting. Give me a ring if you get a minute, but I know that’s hard to do with 2 little guys. I’d love to catch up with you. Take care!!!!!Libby

Leslie says:

OHHHHH.yum!!! I will take both please!

Erin says:

Jen–when are you leaving? Holy cow! What a new adventure!

Bridgett says:

Ooh, both recipes look fantastic! You have been busy!

Meg says:

Amazing recipes! I love pumpkin, so that rice pudding is a dream come true for me! YUM!

Kim says:

Both desserts look fabulous! It has been awhile since I had rice pudding and with pumpkin in it, I couldn’t resist that dessert.

Carrie says:

Thanks for sharing the recipe for the rice pudding, I made pumpkin and adapated it to make vanilla, YUM!

Jaime says:

wow that apple french toast looks amazing!! i love apples

tarable says:

Jenny, this post needs a pumpkin tag on it so I can find it when I search. Can’t wait to try out the rice pudding – love finding new pumpkin recipes.

Tara @ Feels like home says:

These recipes look SO GOOD!!! I linked them in my weekly Things to Write Home About post today.

Betty says:

Hello There!
    I love rice pudding and pumpkin so adding these two things together is going to be great! Can’t wait to try this recipe out. I was referred over by Tara @ Feels like home, she linked my twice baked potato and I was looking through the other links she included and saw she linked your recipe there too. Had to check it out! So glad I did! ;)

[...] Picky Palate posted two wonderful holiday recipes – Pumpkin Pie Rice Pudding and Caramel Apple Upside Down French Toast Bake. Oh [...]

ebenvios says:

Thanks , I have just been looking for info approximately this topic for a while and yours is the greatest I’ve found out so far. But, what in regards to the conclusion? Are you sure concerning the supply?|What i do not realize is if truth be told how you’re not actually a lot more smartly-liked than you may be right now. You are very intelligent.

[...] Escapades, Sweet Potato Pecan Pie with Spiced Maple-Nut Ice Cream from Peanut Butter and Julie, Spiced Pumpkin Pie Rice Pudding from Picky Palate, Chocolate Stout Cupcakes from Pinch My Salt, Sweet Potato Cinnamon Rolls from [...]