Don't miss a single recipe from Picky Palate: sign up for my weekly newsletter

Feb
2009

Sweet Chili Glazed and Walnut Crusted Tilapia with Roasted Asparagus

Tags: ,

Dinner

Hey everybody, I am so excited to be enjoying the week here in AZ with my family. My boys had the week off of school for “ski week” in CA, so what a perfect opportunity to visit home.

Before we left, I made this fabulous fish dinner and we all devoured it, even the kids loved it with a little side of ketchup. For some reason that I can’t quite put my finger on, I’ve been afraid of cooking and eating fish in the past, but I’ve decided to grow up and start experimenting more with it. I know how healthy it is for you and for heaven sakes it’s delicious! So, for any of you who have been like me and have been a little stand offish towards fish….don’t be. It cooks up in minutes and is so delicious, I can’t wait to make more of it. Hope you all enjoy!

Sweet Chili Glazed and Walnut Crusted Tilapia with Roasted Asparagus

1 bunch of asparagus

2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

½ teaspoon kosher salt

¼ teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper

¼ teaspoon garlic salt

3 Tablespoons honey

¼ teaspoon chili powder

1 teaspoon warm water

¾ Cup Panko Bread Crumbs

½ Cup ground walnuts (I ground them in food processor)

½ teaspoon kosher salt

½ teaspoon chili powder

¼ teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper

4 tilapia fillets

2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

1. Place asparagus onto a edge rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt, pepper and garlic salt. Roast in oven for 12-15 minutes or until fork tender, turning half way through. Remove and keep warm.

2. Place the honey, chili powder and warm water in a small bowl; mix to combine. Place crumbs, walnuts, salt, chili powder and pepper into a shallow dish; mix to combine. Season both sides of tilapia fillets with pinches of salt and pepper. With a pastry brush, brush honey glaze on both sides of tilapia then press into crumb mix. Continue until all fillets are coated.

3. Heat oil into a large skillet over medium heat. When hot place coated tilapia fillets into skillet; cook 2-4 minutes per side, until golden brown and fish flakes easy with a fork. Remove and serve warm.

4 servings

Have a great rest of your week, I’ll be enjoying AZ and will catch up with ya’ll early next week!!

Comments

Girl Japan says:

I love the recipe but I really like your photos, so rustic yet chic, very artistic! Walnut Crusted.. YUM

Donna-FFW says:

Sounds like a super coating, bet it was wonderful. Your pictures are just perfect!!

madebymel says:

The combination of the the sweet and spicy chili glaze sounds amazing with the walnut and panko crust!

HoneyB says:

Jenny! I am going to try this with some of our fish we caught that is in our freezer! It looks delicious!

Gera @ SweetsFoods says:

Jenny! So exquisite. This mix of sweet-savory is positively stunning :)

Cheers!
    Gera

NatNibbles says:

Great recipe…and I actually have all the ingredients at home! I’m gonna have to try it soon.

Have fun in AZ! Lucky you!! What a great meal!! I love tilapia and the asparagus looks super tasty!

Meg says:

Tilapia and sweet chili sauce! I love them both! This looks amazing!

carol says:

I’ll fess up-the last time I cooked tilapia I made a total mess of it….wasn’t the recipe…it was a definite user malfunction. I’ll keep my eye on the tilapia at the store and when I see some that looks really nice, I want to try your recipe….those words “sweet chili” jumped RIGHT out at me! :)

Allie says:

I love cooking with Tilapia it’s such an easy fish to work with!

Katherine Aucoin says:

Enjoy your time in AZ. This looks fantastic!

Bob says:

Nice, tilapia is one of the few fish that I enjoy. I’ll be snagging this recipe. :)

Mary Ann says:

Jenny- this looks absolutely fabulous. My whole family loves fish, especially tilapia. I can’t wait to try this!

Elra says:

You dress up the humble fish with more sophisticated touch. It make it more visually appetizing.
    Cheers,
    Elra

skinnybovineskitchen says:

confession: i’m afraid of fish, too. but my husband would pretty much love me if i made this. he used to eat tilapia all the time on his mission in the philippines. thanks for the recipe, jenny!

Lisa says:

I love fish and this looks like a great light meal.

Helene says:

I love Tilapia. This looks so yummy.

That Girl says:

I KNEW it must be ski week! Yesterday at lunch, the hubs and I went to the museum quarter and it was SO crowded. Normally it’s empty on a Tuesday.

Patsyk says:

Jenny – it’s so funny we both made roasted asparagus! LOL! You are right, great minds do think alike! ;)

Love your seasoning for the fish… gonna have to give that a try. It must not be too spicy since your boys ate it, right?

Enjoy your visit with the family!

Laura says:

I have got to try this, only with pecans (I have several pounds of them). I can’t wait. It’s the only fish I can eat, other than shrimp and scallops. I can’t wait. Thanks Laura

Katrina says:

That sounds really good. I’ve been “forcing” myself to like fish lately, too. I used to ONLY like halibut, but have decided I like other white fish, too, like tilapia and now even salmon! That’s a big fishy step for me.
    Looks like a yummy dinner–even my boys will eat salmon.

renae says:

This looks so good! Sweet & spicy – yum! Maybe I could finally get my family to eat fish with me!
    I Finally caught you on Food Network this weekend…You were fantastic!!

Bridgett says:

You have some fantastic recipes and this one looks delicious as well. I wish you a wonderful vacation!

Liz says:

I love the combo of the honey, chili powder and walnuts. Can’t wait to try this out with my boys. They really like tilapia because it’s nice and mild. I like it because of it’s flavor, versatility and the fact that it’s raised in many parts of the world in a sustainable way.

Live.Love.Eat says:

I love tilapia. So yummy and good for you!!!!!

Mandy says:

Enjoy AZ! Thanks for the recipe, I really need some good fish ideas. Thank you!

Sharon says:

Hope you’re enjoying AZ! I love anything sweet chili related. This looks so tasty.

Kevin says:

This crusted tilapia sounds really tasty!

Leslie says:

grrr..if my family only ate fish!

thecleanveggie says:

sounds delicious :)
    love roasted asparagus!

MaryBeth says:

I love Tilapia…yours looks extremely delish!!

pigpigscorner says:

The crust sounds amazing! Love the flavours!

Aggie says:

I am loving tilapia right now! This recipe sounds great!

Deborah says:

I love making fish, but I usually just stick with salmon. I should try this out!

The Welkers says:

I tried this recipe this evening and it was awesome! What am I talking about… every recipe I have tried of yours is amazing! Thank you for helping me to spice up my kitchen!

Mary says:

I made this minus the walnuts (cause I didn’t have any) and let me say…I don’t, well have always claimed, like fish. This is awesome! I loved it and my boyfriend loved it. He loves fish and he can’t quit going on about how good it is. It is so easy too! Thanks! I love your site.

[...] recipes: Chile and Cilantro Tilapia, Cook. Eat. Share. Tilapia with Pimento Sauce, Simply Recipes Sweet Chile Glazed Tilapia, Picky Palate Baja Style Fish Tacos, Serious [...]

Looks delish Jenn, you should stop by my blog and share it on my first ever (RED)Meatless Monday w/ Mr. Linky.

Glad you had fun in AZ. I’m LOVING this weather! :)

Janis Penick says:

I’ve cooking the tilapia with asparagus and you don’t say which temperature to roast the asparagus. I’m in Hawaii and trying it with Mahimahi and will let you know how it turns out.
    Janis

Janis Penick says:

I used Mahimahi instead of Tilapia and it was delicious. I made it twice and the first batch was blackened but watched it closer the next batch.

Angela says:

Made this dish last night and enjoyed every bite of it. Thanks for a wonderful new way to prepare Tilapia.

[...] I’m not too crazy about them anyhow, and I was trying to avoid another trip to the store. This recipe came from the book’s Bloggers’ Best chapter, where they feature recipes from their [...]

Fantastic site. Plenty of useful info here. I’m sending it to a few friends ans additionally sharing in delicious. And naturally, thanks to your effort!

Joni Lucario says:

I simply had to thank you very much once again. I’m not certain what I might have sorted out in the absence of those advice discussed by you directly on such a area. It absolutely was a very depressing concern for me, but considering the very expert approach you processed that took me to cry over gladness. Now i’m happy for your help and even believe you really know what a powerful job that you are putting in instructing many others with the aid of your website. I am certain you haven’t come across any of us.

Hannah says:

Never knew tilapia also existed in the other side of the world! Nice photos!

[…] – Sweet Chili Glazed and Walnut Crusted Tilapia with Roasted Asparagus. Fingers crossed the kids will eat any portion of this, might need to add some couscous or rice on […]