Feb
2010

Cinnamon Roll Sugar Cookies? Yes!

Tags: , ,

Cookies

Have I got a treat for you today right before Valentines day!

I was getting ready to cut my traditional sugar cookies in the shape of hearts for this post and a little light bulb went off!  I don’t know if I was craving cinnamon rolls or what, but I thought to myself….I am soooo making these sugar cookies into cinnamon rolls!  Brace yourself friends, you will NOT be able to stop eating these, they are that good.

My husband and I both agree the only way to enjoy these beauties is after they’ve chilled in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.  Talk about heaven :)  I’ll stop talking so you can go make these quickly, make them for your Valentine and he or she will LOVE you forever!!

Roll your chilled dough into about a 12 inch x 5 inch oval.

Just pretend that I’m not spreading all that butter over cookie dough, we’ll all feel better :)

Brown sugar is next up

Then the Cinnamon!

Time to roll into a cute little log, then use a sharp knife to cut into slices

Place onto your baking sheet

Baked to perfection, I’m drooling just thinking about them again

Frost with Cream Cheese Frosting

No words needed!

Cinnamon Roll Sugar Cookies

2 Cups sugar
1 Cup butter, softened
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 Cup sour cream
6 Cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

12 tablespoons softened butter, (slice 2 Tablespoons 6 times totaling 12 tablespoons)
1 1/2 Cups packed light brown sugar, divided into 1/4 Cups
1 1/2 Tablespoons ground cinnamon, divided

Frosting
8 oz softened cream cheese
1/2 Cup powdered sugar
2-4 Tablespoons milk, to thin icing

1. In an electric or stand mixer, cream the sugar and butter. Add eggs, vanilla and sour cream until well combined. Slowly add in the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt until well combined.

2. In 2 batches, place in plastic wrap in a disc shape and chill for at least 2 hours for best results.

3. Once chilled, cut each disc into thirds and roll into a 1/8 inch thick oval, about 12 inches X 5 inches.  Spread each rolled pieces of dough with 2 Tablespoons softened butter, 1/4 Cup packed brown sugar and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon.  Start rolling from the long end closest to you, rolling into a log shape.  Using a sharp knife, cut 1/2 inch pieces of dough then placing onto a silpat or parchment lined baking sheet.  Bake at 350 degrees for 9-11 minutes. Remove and let cool for 5 minutes before removing from baking sheet.

4.  To prepare frosting, beat the cream cheese until softened and smooth, slowly add powdered sugar and milk until desired consistency.  Frost cookies then place in refrigerator until ready to serve.  These are 100 times better chilled, trust me!!

Makes at least 6 dozen

Comments

camille says:

When are they going to make a “scratch and sniff” option for the internet? Those look so good, I bet they smell divine.

Rachelle says:

I made these yesterday, and LOVE them!! I used a little left over dough, and got about a dozen?

Jaxx says:

I went into a diabetic coma reading this, and i don’t even like sugar cookies! Awesome idea!

anonymous says:

OMGWTFBBQ

My brain just exploded at the sight of these. I’m suing you for damaging my monitor, because I was licking the screen.

Michelle says:

Oh, good golly. Little gems from Heaven. On my to-do list for sure!

Cam says:

That. Looks. delicious. :F (drool face)

how long do you think it can stand without going bad? (It’s too much to ask you not to munch it all up right away. I’d just inhale these cookies if I were you) I was thinking of mailing it to someone, do you think it’d be a good idea?

Kerry says:

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have three girls ages 5 and under and they LOVE cinnamon rolls, I have yet to find a super easy-whip-it-together recipe that tastes (for my benefit) like a Cinnabon (we are living in Germany and they seem to not be all that crazy about cinnamon stuff unless it is Christmas time and even then rolls don’t cross their mind)… but you found it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And we LOVE it and you for sharing it with us!!!!!!!

Blessings!!!!
    Kerry

Ashley says:

Wow wow wow!! These look outstanding :)

Kim says:

I knew I shouldn’t have checked your blog while my husband was sitting next to me. Now I have some baking to do tomorrow.

Mary says:

Wow! What a great idea!!

Sarah says:

Made these last night and they were delicious! I should warn others though that I followed the recipe and got 86 cookies. I didn’t roll the dough out to quite 12″, sliced a bit thick and always chuck out the end slices when I do rolls like this. Six feet of roll and half-inch slices will give you way more than 36 cookies!

April says:

I made these sweet little cookies yesterday and EVERYONE loved them!!! Thank you so much for the fantastic idea!

Rachel says:

These are so delish! They’re a definite family and PTA fav! ;-) xoxo

HoneyB says:

I am SO making these!

Made these on Sunday and DF canNOT stop raving about them. DELICIOUS! Thank you :D

Nikki says:

These were amazing. I made them and took them to work for a colleague’s birthday. Everyone (even the men!) asked for the recipe. I referred them to you!

Oh mah word. I need to delete this from my memory or I will be quickly gaining 800 pounds.

Great recipe! I paired it with a “Cafe Milch” (German Cappuccino) and it was phenomenal! The best part is that there is very little time spent preparing and so more time can be spent enjoying! Keep those recipes coming!

Jum!!YUM!!YUMMMMM~~~~!!! I’M DROOLING OVER IT FROM HERE NOW!!! MAN, ERGH, WOMAN, TAHNKS FOR SHARING IT WITH US!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YUMMY, YUMMY, YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!1

THANKS FOR SHARING!!! I LOVE SWEEEEETIESS!!

[...] Roll Sugar Cookies recipe  from Picky [...]

Hazel Crowther says:

Very nice indeed.

Briana says:

These are absolutely fabulous. SO good, that I have already had 4 this morning with my coffee! :) You are right about chilling them first; brings the tastiness to another level! Cannot wait to share these at my weekly wine and dessert gathering! Thank you for the creative and yummy recipe!

Wow these look so so good, I don’t think these would last long in our house! Thanks for posting the recipe.
    Jade

Melissa says:

Hi! I love your blog and follow it all the time! My 2 yr. old daughter and I recently discovered that we had celiac disease. I used to make your recipes just as you had them but now i convert them the gluten free and they still taste great! This cinnamon roll recipe was super YUMMY! Thanks for coming up with it! :)

ann says:

These look so GOOD. I am going to try and make these in a sugar free version since I’m diabetic. I’ve adapted a couple of recipes together to make a buttermilk tart that is so good no one can tell it’s sugar free. I’ll let you know if I can do this sugar free and how they turned out,. What a wonderful idea you had.

audrey says:

I once ate a cinnamon muffin. Don’t know if the chef got it all wrong. But it tasted soooo bhaaad!!! I thought I was eating mud. Hope this recipe is much better than that.

Nicola says:

I HAVE to bookmark this page! What a delicious idea and I know my kids will love this idea too!

brandee says:

i am soooo making these! thanks!

Veronica M. says:

That comment above mine made me laugh out loud! I made these for my husband to take to work but I think I managed to eat almost two dozen before he whisked them out the door. I think this is the most creative use for sugar cookie dough (which usually I have not much use for–it bores me) and putting the cinnamon roll filling in there really makes them taste wonderful. I also think your sugar cookie dough is the best I’ve ever had and will be using it for future sugar cookies. Thanks for sharing your recipe!

[...] Cinnamon sugar roll cookies from Picky Palate [...]

Mary says:

You know I will make these! They are easy, have cinnamon, have frosting and they look like a cinnamon roll-everything I love!

Thank You!

Pat says:

What a delicious idea! Thanks for the recipe.

Carmel says:

oooh man, I am going to have to try these ones for sure! they look way tasty!

[...] words–CINNAMON ROLL SUGAR COOKIES!  [...]

I’m going to make these tomorrow. They have all my favorite things; sugar, cinnamon, butter, and cream cheese. Yes!

mikey says:

Love the clear instructions and photos, very helpful!

tracy says:

All I have left to do is bake and I was wondering if they would freeze well after being baqked and frosted?…

Claire says:

After salivating over this article for roughly 3 weeks, I finally got some spare time and necessary ingredients last night. And boy was it worth it!

Next time I’ll fully get my act together and make the frosting from scratch (I buckled and bought Pillsbury).

All in all, they’re DELICIOUS and ADORABLE. Good times, good times.

Joan says:

Just made these cookies with my neices and they are a hit! Also fun to make. Thanks!

Kelley says:

I made these yesterday and oh my goodness, these are amazing! I like thicker cookies so I made mine about 1 inch thick and were wonderful. The hubby took some to work and they were a HIT. These will be added to my cookie selection that I offer with my home based bakery. Thanks for a one of a kind recipe, I am in heaven.

Meseidy says:

You are evil and we cannot be friends anymore! These look incredible!

Leon Grove says:

I just made some cinnamon rolls yesterday. I will try this next week. Thanks,

Leon Grove
    CEO, A Potful Inc.

Jenna B says:

I made these for a wok function, and they were SO GOOD, that a co worker literally got down on one knee and proposed to me! Fist he asked if I could make these cookies for him for his wedding instead of wedding cake, then decided he should just marry me because he could have them all the time!

I laughed so hard. These will definitely be making a comeback at our next potluck.

Thanks so much!

emily says:

Hi! I made these cookies and quickly became super frustrated. When I chilled my dough I guess it didn’t chill enough. The dough stuck to my floured wax paper and I quickly returned the other two dough balls to the freezer. After this the dough was sturdy enough. However, my cookies were not are pretty as yours. They tasted great though!

Richard says:

These look like heaven, cant wait to make them!!!

cc says:

These look so delicious! I have to make them NOW! I hope I have all the ingredients! Thanks for sharing – there goes the diet!

amy says:

How do you keep it from sticking to the countertop when rolling? i used a well floured granite counter but still alot of stickage.

SuperChef says:

they look absolutely fabulous!!

I came here through Stumble Upon and I love your blog. Following you! :)