Mar
2010

Green Chili Chicken and Lime Soup!

Tags: , , , , ,

Dinner

Good Thursday morning!! Still running around with my family visiting.  We have been quite the tourists.  I am loving all the sunsets we are watching.  I can’t stop taking pictures of the gorgeous views at the beach.  You can tell I haven’t lived in CA for very long :)

Can’t wait to share this soup with you today.  Hubby and I took the kids to eat at Chili’s last week and ordered this Green Chili lime soup.  We decided to split it and what a mistake, we ended up fighting over the last bite like our 2 boys would do!   I seriously couldn’t stop thinking about it after we got home.  I know I’m weird, but it was so good that I had to get in the kitchen to re-create it.  Lo and Behold, I did it!  No kidding, it tastes nearly identical to the soup we ordered!  It’s a brothy soup which usually isn’t my favorite, but the cilantro lime accented broth, rice and chicken really leave you feeling very satisfied.

Do yourself a favor… cook up a big pot and find yourself in love :)

Hope you all enjoy, I’m salivating looking at these pics again!

Come join SoupaPalooza at TidyMom and Dine and Dish sponsored by KitchenAid, Red Star Yeast and Le Creuset

Green Chili Chicken and Lime Soup

2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

1 onion, chopped

4 cloves fresh or roasted garlic, minced (I used a jar of roasted garlic, it was phenomenal!)

80 oz chicken broth, 2 1/2 cartons of the 32 oz

10 oz can rotel tomatoes, mild

7 oz can diced green chilies

4 medium boneless skinless chicken breasts; cooked, shredded and lightly seasoned with salt and pepper

2 1/2 Cups cooked rice of choice, I used basmati

1/4 Cup fresh lime juice

1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin

Pinches of Kosher salt, fresh cracked black pepper and Lawry’s Garlic Salt with Parsley to taste

1 bunch of fresh cilantro, chopped

Fresh diced avocados, drizzled with lime juice

1 Cup shredded cheddar cheese

Tortilla chips

1.  Place oil into a large dutch oven over medium heat.  Saute onion for 5 minutes then add in garlic; cook for 1 minute.  Stir in chicken broth, tomtoes, green chilies, chicken breast, rice, lime juice and seasonings.  Cook for 5 minutes; taste and season according to your liking.  Right before serving add chopped cilantro.

2.  Serve soup with fresh diced avocado, shredded cheese and crushed chips if desired.  If you can handle the heat, squeeze some Siracha over top, yum!!

10-12 servings

_____________________________________________

I’ll leave you with more sunset pictures!!  This time from Crystal Cove Beach a couple nights ago.

Have a great weekend!!  See you all soon :)

Comments

Krsta says:

Hi. This is the first time I have ever visited/heard of your site. I have to say, I am a soup lover as well. I have already found about half a dozen recipes that I want to add to my dinner menu in the near future. Thank you so much for sharing and I plan to check back soon!

ann says:

totally agree, u r not weird at all! I did the same after I tried the Chili’s green chili soup and googled your recipe. I tried making it today, and it’s delicious! Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe :)

April in CT says:

I had this soup a few days ago at Chili’s and did a search for it as soon as I got home! We just finished eating this and it’s fantastic, my husband had two HUGE bowls. I made a couple of adjustments just based on what I had on hand, but I’ll be making this one again and again. Thank you!!

Amy says:

I am so, SO glad this came up when I searched for a copy of Chili’s recipe. This has been a pregnancy craving of mine for about two weeks now and there’s only so many times I can convince my husband to take me to Chili’s! LOL. It did end up being too spicy for my oldest (6), so next time, I think I’ll just do 1/4 cup of Rotel and the rest regular diced tomatoes. Thanks so much for posting this. It was amazing!

ppeppa2 says:

OMG… this soup was soo tasty!! just made it tonite for the family and the LOVED it!! Will def make it again :D

Kelly says:

THANK YOU, THANK YOU! I’ve had this soup twice and want to make it at home so badly. That little cup is just not enough! This is my first visit to this website and I will be returning.

Aida weber says:

Love this recipe! I know exactly what you are talking about with this soup.
    I was thinking about this soup too long after I left Chili’s:)
    My family loves it too! Thanks for sharing:)

srithasan says:

This is lovely green chiili chicken & lime soup.

WUVIE says:

This is one of my favorite soups, so I was thrilled
    to find a recipe for such.

My apologies for sounding a bit silly, but when the
    ingredient list calls for ‘Rotel tomatoes’, are these
    only tomatoes, or is this referring to the canned Rotel
    typically used with Velveeta cheese to make dip? My
    first thought was green chilies and tomatoes. I guess
    I’ve never checked out the Rotel section, so there could
    very well be a can of simply tomatoes.

Many thanks for sharing this recipe!

Karen

Debb says:

Just discovered your website, and I love it! I will look forward to many hours of your recipes. Just curious. Are the pics from Crystal Cove near Laguna Beach?

Jessica says:

I made this last night. It was a HUGE hit! The leftovers are in everyone’s lunch bags today. My family LOVED it!

Brandy says:

I had this yesterday at Chilli’s. I already have chicken thawing for another recipe, and am going to use it for this instead.

Brandy says:

Just had this yesterday! I was actually trying to find a reciepe for this. Bless you for doing the work for me!

[...] …my stuffy nose and sore throat are positively ACHING for this Green Chili Chicken and Lime Soup… [...]

Colleen says:

I made this soup last night here in upstate New York. My husband and 3 teenagers loved it!
    This recipe will definitely be added to our regular rotation. Great way to use leftover cooked chicken.

[...] we are having this.  Green chili Chicken and Lime Soup.  I made a few changes to the recipe, threw in some fresh squash instead of cilantro.  Give it a [...]

Tarek says:

Sounds delicious! I loved this soup at Chili’s but when I make it, what gives it that “smoky” flavor I tasted when I had it at chilis? Is it the rotel tomatoes? Thanks for sharing!

Samantha says:

I had the exact same experience that you did with this soup. Fantastic!

Kelli says:

I made this last night and it was delish! Hubby had three bowls and my oldest daughter asked if there was enough for her to have leftovers today. My daughters like it with a little cheese, crushed chips and dollop of sour cream. Thanks for the recipe.

shawn says:

you did an awesome job recreating this recipe. I made your recipe tonight and it was SPOT ON! Thank you! its a new family favorite!

[...] Green Chili Chicken and Lime Soup, Bread Machine Buttery Rolls Tilapia, Sweet Potatoes, Homemade French Bread, Broccoli Turkey [...]

Kristi says:

Just made this for dinner – yum! I made it in the crock pot – so easy! Thank you for sharing this!

Jenn says:

This soup was AMAZING! Even better than Chili’s in my opinion. It’s been added to the top 10 favorites list at our house. THANKS!

[...] Green Chili Chicken and Lime Soup (I tweaked the originally recipe a tad, but it was very delicious and I’ll definitely be making it again!) [...]

Pure Sugar says:

[...] Friday, on  a whim, I decided to make this copycat version of Chili’s Green Chili & Chicken Soup. While I wouldn’t say it tasted exactly like the restaurant recipe, the soup was delicious in [...]

Amy F. says:

Having never tried Chili’s version, I made this last week…it looked and sounded so yummy. It was probably one of THE BEST (!!!!) soups I’ve ever had. We went to Chili’s for lunch today so I tried it there and I have to say…your version beats it hands down! Thanks so much for sharing…it’s a keeper for sure!

[...] Green Chili Chicken and Lime Soup  [...]

Heather says:

Excellent work! Love it and have made it several times.

Leidy says:

I absoluetely love this soup… my boyfriend and I can’t get enough of it.. and i’m so happy you were able to recreate it. I will try making it tonight. Also I love you images ;).

Thanks for sharing.

[...] Chili’s has some Green Chili Lime Soup that’s all the rage.   Amongst my friends this recipe for a DIY healthy knock-off of the Chili’s soup has been passed around a lot lately, and its [...]

Claudia says:

I can’t thank you enough for the recipe. I had the soup at Chili’s for the first time last week and can’t get it out of my mind. Wonderful job!

valpal71 says:

Made this for dinner tonight and it was….YUMMY! Thanks!

amcsmom says:

I make an almost identical soup, it doesn’t have lime or rice but I put in a large can of hominy and everyone loves it. I am going to add your ingredients to mine – I think it will be a match made in heaven!

amcsmom says:

I make an almost identical soup – mine doesn’t have lime or rice but I add a large can of hominy to it. I am going to add your ingredients to mine – I think it will be a match made in heaven!

[...] This adapted recipe came from The Picky Palate.  I will notate any changes I made in BOLD BLUE.  Below is a direct quote from The Picky Palate, [...]

[...] Green Chili Chicken and Lime Soup | Picky Palate Mar 18, 2010 … Hope you all enjoy, I'm salivating looking at these pics again! Green Chili Chicken and Lime Soup … [...]

Phyllis Hunt says:

I was hoping to find a recipe that would be close to the one from Chili’s restaurant. I love their chicken and green chili soup. I am diabetic and I can order this without feeling guilty. Can’t wait to try the recipe. Thanks

Julie says:

This soup is so great!! Two of my friends made the soup this week and they are in love. I pretty much followed the recipe – I used a yellow onion, and my rice of choice was brown rice (fully cooked) from Trader Joes. Yum!! I posted this on my facebook and I am sharing it with everyone I know. Thank you so much :)

Kate says:

I just finished my first homemade bowl of this and I love it!! This has been my favorite thing to order at chili’s lately and I can’t belief I can now make a whole big pot of it and savor it’s deliciousness at home. Thank you thank you!

Rain says:

OMG… this was absolutely delicious! My friend went to Chili’s and told me how delicious it was. I had to try to duplicate it. I am SURE this is better than Chili’s!!! It is DELICIOUS!!1

Lisa in Aurora, IL says:

Love, Love, Love this soup! Tastes as great as Chilis! Thank you for this!

this is just the perfect recipe I have been looking for. am looking forward to many more of your recipes. Thanks so much.

Osvaldo says:

OMG, i love that soup. Thank you for re-creating the recipe for me…my family truely enjoyed it!!!

Bridgette C says:

This recipe is amazing! It is so close to Chili’s no one would know the difference. My kids loved it. My youngest asked for seconds and tried it with avocado and couldn’t stop saying how good it was!

Lisa says:

This really is a great soup. I love the Chili’s version and I think this one is better! So glad you posted this recipe.

Louise Lalli says:

I, too, went to chilies earlier this week and fell in love with their chicken and green chiles soup. I was amazed and grateful to find your recipe. Thank you for taking the time and effort to recreate this amazing soup.

Tracie says:

OMG….I was looking for a soup that was similar to one I ordered at Chili’s once. This is so true to taste…it was as if I ordered the soup for takeout and a big pot of it. It was quick and easy to make…this will become a staple at my house for the winter.

[...] to Picky Palate for posting her version of the recipe. I used it as a launching pad for my [...]

Brenda kuhn says:

I was disappointed to find out that Chilis took their chili chicken lime soup off the menu!! It was what I went for. Looked quick online for a recipe and can’t wait to go try this! Thanks!

[...] great thing about colder days is that it is an opportunity to enjoy soup.  I found this Green Chili Chicken and Lime Soup recipe over at Picky Palate, and I knew that it would be perfect.  If, by some chance, you have [...]

Dolly says:

Went to Chili’s yesterday and they don’t carry this on the menu anymore….needless to say I was sad about this awesome tasting soup, but now thanks to you I have a recipe for it! Looking forward to trying this! Thanks so much!