Don't miss a single recipe from Picky Palate: sign up for my weekly newsletter

Sep
2010

Cheesy Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole

Tags: , , , , , ,

Dinner

I LOVE Fall cooking and baking, so much delicious comfort food right?!  Wait until you try this fabulous Cheesy Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole.  It is comfort food at it’s best and the kids LOVED it.  Despite my 2 stinkers being nervous about the  “black looking” rice,  they took one bite and gobbled it down in no time.  With the kids back to school, it’s nice to have some hearty weeknight dinners….this one is delish!

I will say, go find yourself some wild rice like the one I found at Trader Joes.  It’s fully cooked and ready to be eaten once it’s warmed.  I use it for soups and a zillion other recipes.  If you don’t have Trader Joes near by, check your grocery store it’s absolutely worth it!  Worse case scenario…..use all white steamed rice :)

Here’s your line up :)

Dice your veggi’s

Get them ready to saute…

…..saute in a nice big pot.

add in both rices, seasonings and chicken.

Time to make the cheese sauce…melt your butter, add the flour, seasonings then whisk like crazy while stirring in your chicken broth :)

Add your cheese to the sauce then once melted pour into rice mixture….mmmm!

Transfer it all to a nice baking dish :)  xoxox Emile Henry.

Add some cheese on top and it’s time to bake!

Here is the gorgeous masterpiece you will find when your timer goes off :)  Enjoy!

Cheesy Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole

3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, finely diced
3 stalks celery, finely diced
3 carrots, peeled and diced
2 Tablespoons fresh minced garlic
2 Cups shredded, cooked chicken breast
2 Cups steamed white rice
16 oz prepared wild rice (I get mine at Trader Joes, LOVE it)
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt

______

CHEESE SAUCE

4 Tablespoons butter
1/4 Cup all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 Cups chicken broth
2 Cups shredded cheddar cheese
Top with 1 1/2 Cups shredded cheddar cheese

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Heat oil into a medium dutch oven or pot over medium heat.  Saute onion, celery and carrots until softened, about 10 minutes.  Stir in garlic and cook for 1 minute.  Stir in chicken, both rices, salt, pepper and garlic salt.  Reduce heat to low.

2.  To prepare cheese sauce melt butter into a medium saucepan over medium high heat.  Whisk in flour, salt and pepper then slowly pour in chicken broth whisking continuously.  Whisk until thick and nearly boiling then stir in cheese until melted.  Pour cheese sauce into cooked rice mixture then transfer to a 9×13 inch baking dish. Top with additional cheddar cheese and bake for 25-30 minutes or until cheese is melted through.  Serve.

8-10 servings

Comments

Erin Abbott says:

You can purchase already cooked wild rice in any grocery store with the brand name of Canoe.

Silvia says:

wonderful! I saw it on Pinterest, it was not easy to found your site, a lot of pins for coming to the source!! thank you for this recipe

Kathy says:

This sounds so yummy! I can hardly wait to try it!

[…] saw this recipe and wanted to give it a try due to the rave reviews. I made a few adjustments and our family loved […]

Krista says:

Hi,

Just a question for a picky eater, does the chopped celery, onion and carrots soften when this is cooked? Thanks!

Jane says:

This is an amazing recipe. My husband absolutely loved it. I added a little worstershire and red-hot to the sauce. Very flavorful.

alex says:

The ads do print. I know it says it doesn’t but they do. Fortunately i caught them in preview before printing and specified only page 1.

[…] Monday:  Cheesy Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole […]

Kirsten says:

Just to make sure I understand, you cook both rices before adding to the veggies?

Keri says:

YUM! Thanks for sharing. We had it for dinner and it was so good. Had a great flavor and was so filling. I wouldn’t change anything about it. Thanks again!!

Gina says:

I made this casserole tonight, and it was quite good. But here’s an idea: I was wandering through the kitchen hours later, and I decided I wanted a second helping. On a whim, I put a couple of scoops of the casserole into a bowl, then thinned it to a desirable consistency with some leftover chicken broth (from poaching the chicken) and popped it in the microwave to reheat. When it was hot, I added a big splash of half and half and some extra salt and pepper, and it had magically tranformed into the yummiest cheesy chicken and rice soup! This casserole recipe makes SO MUCH, that this is one way to transform the dish and compel your family to keep eating it–or to take it for lunches during the week. :-)

I just made this tonight but made it more like a chicken bake (without the rice). It was delish!

Diana Keller says:

I take it I have to cook my own wild Rice? No Joes around here.

Tami says:

I loved loved loved this dish! I have no complaints and my hubby ate it all up but I will warn you that it takes quite a bit of prep time. I had all 4 of my burners going…One for the plain rice, one for the wild rice, one for the vegetables and one for the cheese sauce! It was a rush to the finish line but well worth it. It looks like a very simple and easy recipe, which it is, it just requires a lot of multitasking! Thank you for such a delish recipe! I will make this again on a non-work day as its too much for me after a long day of work!

Christine Kasten says:

This turned out amazing! I used the leftovers from a baked chicken the night before. Mostly dark meat left. Threw it in the crock pot with some water and let it cook all morning and after noon. Peeled the meat off and used a couple cups of the chicken stock left. Followed the recipe as is except I left out the celery because I didn’t have any in the fridge. Oh, and I used brown rice instead. Turned out delicious! This would make a great pot luck dish. Thank you for a now stand by recipe!

Summer says:

This was delicious. My 4-year old turned up her nose when she saw it but gobbled it up once she tried it. I have had wild rice in my cupboard forever and was happy to get to use it in such a yummy way. I used Costco rotisserie chicken breast for the shredded chicken. If I calculate based on 8 servings, this has 470 calories and 28 grams of fat per serving so I definitely wouldn’t consider it “healthy” food per say, but the wild rice, veggies, and lean chicken certainly make for a balanced meal :)

Kathryn says:

One of the best chicken casseroles I’ve ever made!!! Love it!!!

Sara says:

Found this recipe via Pinterest and made it last night! It was delicious!! I don’t even have a Trader Joe’s within 300 miles of me, so I decided to try something else. I used Birds Eye Steamfresh Brown and Wild Rice with Broccoli and Carrots (very healthy and low in fat). It was out of this WORLD good with the cheese sauce, esp. since cheese is so good with broccoli! Plus I didn’t have to cook the other veggies. I recommend others try this if you don’t have a Trader Joe’s or any other type of wild rice available! YUM!!!

ashlee says:

Hey, this recipe looks awesome but I found it on punchfork.com where it was labeled as gluten-free… ? Do you have a flour substitution that you use but isn’t listed?

Jen says:

Made this for the first time… WOW! Kids loved it, husband loved it! We have a winner! Thanks!

[…] you have to read the fine print. I made a Cheesy Chicken and Rice Casserole that I pinned from Picky Palate last night. It didn’t have a million ingredients and there was no cream of anything soup […]

Karla says:

I made this tonight for supper. It was Fantastic!

Amy says:

Made this tonight after finding it on Pinterest! Perfect use for my extra Beer Crockpot Chicken! So delicious!

Robin says:

I made this for dinner tonight, and received rave reviews from the family! Thanks so much!

I printed it and will making it tomorrow!! Thanx!

[…] for supper we had the leftovers of a cheesy chicken and rice casserole. Sweet Potato likes carrots, rice, and sometimes chicken, but all she would eat tonight (and the […]

[…] was inspired by Picky Palate’s blog – but made a couple of changes to the ingredients.  The best part is the cheesy sauce that […]

Jen says:

Do you think I could sub turkey? I just made one and was looking for recipes I could use.

Adrienne says:

I made this last night for my girlfriends..it was delicious. I would like to say that I found the “cheese sauce” to be abit dry so I added alittle extra broth, as well as the wild rice cooking liquid before it was totally absorbed into the rice. I only used one box of wild rice and one cup of steamed white rice and that was plenty. I couldn’t imagine what 32 oz of rice would be like, unless I am misunderstanding the quantity of rice this recipe is calling for. Overall, I would make this again, and again…it was that good! Thank you!! :o)
    P.S. for those who are not onion lovers, I grate my onion so that I don’t have the visual or texture issue, but still have the flavor!

[…] Cheesy Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole { with no canned soup } […]

Stacy says:

Couldn’t find the wild rice at any of our Trader Joe’s here in KS/MO. Guess I’ll have to substitute.

Aggie says:

Hey friend, hope you & that precious little one are doing ok…
    Saw this on Pinterest & it’s exactly something I’ve been looking for. So happy when I clicked over to your site :)

xoxo

Sarah says:

This recipe looks great and I can’t wait to make it! I was wondering if you need to cook the wild rice before you add it in or if you can add it in raw? Thanks for your help!

kimberly says:

I have made this a few times and it gets rave reviews. Everyone loves it!!

Maureen says:

I just popped it in the oven, looking forward to trying it!

Shelley says:

Husbands gone, Mom and Sisters coming for sleep over. Serving this, salad and breadsticks after a day of shopping.. can’t wait!

I found this recipe on pinterest and just loved it. I loved it so much I blogged about it. Come by and check it out when you have time. http://questfordelish.blogspot.com/2012/10/cheesy-chicken-wild-rice-casserole.html

miranda says:

I’m a little confused. You only list 2 cups chicken broth under the cheese sauce, but it also says in the directions to add broth to the veggies when you add the rice and chicken.

[…] sauce, broccoli baked salmon, roasted veggie and orzo salad, spinach salad pan-fried chicken, wild rice casserole* (without mayonaise or cream-o-soup!) Pinterest find; have yet to try Crockpot Tortellini Soup; […]

mary jo says:

This is wonderful…a go to comfort food. Could this be made ahead of time…say in the morning…cooked later for dinner?

[…] Thursday: Wild Rice, Cauliflower, & Yellow Squash Cheesy Casserole (a creative adaptation of this yummyness) […]

[…] Cheesy Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole Review October 24, 2012By GrantCheesy Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole […]

Grant says:

My wife and I cooked this meal last night and it was GREAT!! We actually had it again today for lunch!

Nana Felecia says:

Sounds wonderful BUT 3 1/2 cups of cheddar cheese sounds like a lot of cheese!

Brianne says:

Was your measurement of wild rice cooked, or dry? I bought 4 oz boxes of dry, but it says it makes 2 1/2 cups once cooked. Is the ratio of cooked white rice to cooked wild rice about 50/50?

Taylor says:

Is there a way to make this without flour? I can’t have gluten but this sounds amazing!

[…] Healthified Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole (Pinterst Link) […]

[…] Picky Palate shows you how to make this yummy Cheesy Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole recipe! […]

Ellen says:

I made this last week and am making it again tonight to have for the week. My husband and I both LOVED it!
    A few changes: 1) I used a combo of dry wild rice and brown rice in a rice cooker in order to make it a bit healthier than using white rice– about a cup and a quarter of wild rice and a cup of brown rice (with roughly 4 cups of water to cook). 2) I did not use onion (and we didn’t even miss it) 3) added a bag of frozen broccoli- chopped it first 4) did not add the cheese to the top of the casserole, as the 16 oz in the cheese sauce was plenty of cheese for the casserole. Turned out PERFECTLY DELICIOUS!