Sep
2010

Cheesy Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole

Tags: , , , , , ,

Dinner

I LOVE Fall cooking and baking, so much delicious comfort food right?!  Wait until you try this fabulous Cheesy Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole.  It is comfort food at it’s best and the kids LOVED it.  Despite my 2 stinkers being nervous about the  “black looking” rice,  they took one bite and gobbled it down in no time.  With the kids back to school, it’s nice to have some hearty weeknight dinners….this one is delish!

I will say, go find yourself some wild rice like the one I found at Trader Joes.  It’s fully cooked and ready to be eaten once it’s warmed.  I use it for soups and a zillion other recipes.  If you don’t have Trader Joes near by, check your grocery store it’s absolutely worth it!  Worse case scenario…..use all white steamed rice :)

Here’s your line up :)

Dice your veggi’s

Get them ready to saute…

…..saute in a nice big pot.

add in both rices, seasonings and chicken.

Time to make the cheese sauce…melt your butter, add the flour, seasonings then whisk like crazy while stirring in your chicken broth :)

Add your cheese to the sauce then once melted pour into rice mixture….mmmm!

Transfer it all to a nice baking dish :)  xoxox Emile Henry.

Add some cheese on top and it’s time to bake!

Here is the gorgeous masterpiece you will find when your timer goes off :)  Enjoy!

Cheesy Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole

3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, finely diced
3 stalks celery, finely diced
3 carrots, peeled and diced
2 Tablespoons fresh minced garlic
2 Cups shredded, cooked chicken breast
2 Cups steamed white rice
16 oz prepared wild rice (I get mine at Trader Joes, LOVE it)
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt

______

CHEESE SAUCE

4 Tablespoons butter
1/4 Cup all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 Cups chicken broth
2 Cups shredded cheddar cheese
Top with 1 1/2 Cups shredded cheddar cheese

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Heat oil into a medium dutch oven or pot over medium heat.  Saute onion, celery and carrots until softened, about 10 minutes.  Stir in garlic and cook for 1 minute.  Stir in chicken, both rices, salt, pepper and garlic salt.  Reduce heat to low.

2.  To prepare cheese sauce melt butter into a medium saucepan over medium high heat.  Whisk in flour, salt and pepper then slowly pour in chicken broth whisking continuously.  Whisk until thick and nearly boiling then stir in cheese until melted.  Pour cheese sauce into cooked rice mixture then transfer to a 9×13 inch baking dish. Top with additional cheddar cheese and bake for 25-30 minutes or until cheese is melted through.  Serve.

8-10 servings

Comments

jamie says:

hello! this recipe sounds delicious! i was just wondering if i could sub the white rice with brown or what was the reasoning for using white? will it throw off the flavor? can’t wait to try this! thank you!

Lucky4 says:

OMG…This is an awesome recipe.
    I have pinned and will be using it again.
    Thanks

[...] Th – Cheesy Chicken with Wild Rice Casserole [...]

Kelly says:

Made this tonight. It’s really good! I accidentally bought the uncooked wild rice from TJs, so that added some cook time! Made the rices and chicken the night before and everything else the day of. Something to note, it takes a while for it to cool off.

jessica says:

I made this for my kids and then my husband gobbled it all up. Everyone loved it!

Jennifer says:

Made this for dinner after seeing it on pinterest. YUMMY!!!!

Theresa says:

I made this today for the first time. Unfortunately, Trader Joe’s no longer carries the precooked wild rice. But, I used their brown rice medley and basmati rice medley. I cooked the rice the day before so that it wouldn’t be too gummy and to save time. Waiting for it to come out of the oven. Thanks for a great recipe.

Jamie says:

I have no TJs… sad but true… If I am making sense of the recipe, I would need about 2C. wild rice? Same amt as white?? Thanks!

Lauri says:

I just made this a few nights ago and it was delicious! My family really liked it. I added a can of black beans, but otherwise followed the recipe. I will definitely be making this again. Thanks for the recipe

Vicki says:

I wanted to make this tonight but unfortunately, my Trader Joe’s discontinued the cooked wild rice…………….

Jenny,

This recipe is awesome! I just featured it as the “Daily Nosh” on the VirtualWineBar.com. I paired it with Gundalach-Bundschu 2010 Chardonnay.

Cheers!

Mary G. says:

Says carrots in cooking directions but how many? Guess I can add 3 (like celery)?

[...] Cheesy Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole–This yummy and healthy meal is filled with something I adore. Wild rice! The mix of regular white rice and wild keeps this affordable, and still just as tasty. The veggies will make you happy while the cheese sauce has the kids lapping it up. Really good. [...]

[...] I’ve still been cooking and although I haven’t had time to take lovely photos of our meals, I want to share with you a few recipes that we have really enjoyed lately! I hope you find a bit of inspiration for your weekly menu or parties in the following list: Cheesy Chicken & Wild Rice Casserole [...]

mrsblocko says:

I made this and wrote about it here. What a scrumptious recipe! Thank you for sharing it.

Michelle Lubbers says:

I had something like this at a potluck on Sunday with the addition of mushrooms, looking forward to trying it. It would be nice if I could master this rice cooking thing too {smile}.

Holly says:

I don’t think I’ve ever commented on this yet, but I wanted to let you know how much me and my family LOVE this recipe. My daughter is going to be 2 in August and she DEVOURS this casserole. It’s so delicious! I’ve also made it for a few friends who have babies recently and it’s a huge hit. So thank you!

Erin Abbott says:

You can purchase already cooked wild rice in any grocery store with the brand name of Canoe.

Silvia says:

wonderful! I saw it on Pinterest, it was not easy to found your site, a lot of pins for coming to the source!! thank you for this recipe

Dori says:

I featured this recipe on my blog tonight at richestoragsbydori.blogspot.com. Great recipe. I linked the recipe back here so they would have to come to your site to get it. Thanks for sharing such a great recipe.

Oh heck yeah! I am TOTALLY making this! My husband is CRAZY for wild rice. Seems like all the chicken and rice recipes out there use yucky condensed soup. This is much more like it! Thanks for sharing!

Kathy says:

This sounds so yummy! I can hardly wait to try it!

[...] saw this recipe and wanted to give it a try due to the rave reviews. I made a few adjustments and our family loved [...]

Krista says:

Hi,

Just a question for a picky eater, does the chopped celery, onion and carrots soften when this is cooked? Thanks!

heather says:

to save even more time, you could use tj’s mire poix (onion, carrot, celery mix)! looking fwd to trying this.

heather says:

got most of the ingredients today to try this. they don’t seem to have the prepared wild rice at tj’s anymore. i do realize this post is from almost two years ago, though :)

Jane says:

This is an amazing recipe. My husband absolutely loved it. I added a little worstershire and red-hot to the sauce. Very flavorful.

alex says:

The ads do print. I know it says it doesn’t but they do. Fortunately i caught them in preview before printing and specified only page 1.

Jessie says:

What if I can’t find already prepared wild rice? Still do the recipe the same?

heather says:

i didn’t find any at tj’s, but you can find it at some other grocery stores. the first time i made it, i used uncle ben’s long grain & wild rice in a box (very good seasonings) and it was unbelievabley good! since i’ve now found some already cooked wild rice, i will use that tonight.

[...] Monday:  Cheesy Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole [...]

Kirsten says:

Just to make sure I understand, you cook both rices before adding to the veggies?

Keri says:

YUM! Thanks for sharing. We had it for dinner and it was so good. Had a great flavor and was so filling. I wouldn’t change anything about it. Thanks again!!

Gina says:

I made this casserole tonight, and it was quite good. But here’s an idea: I was wandering through the kitchen hours later, and I decided I wanted a second helping. On a whim, I put a couple of scoops of the casserole into a bowl, then thinned it to a desirable consistency with some leftover chicken broth (from poaching the chicken) and popped it in the microwave to reheat. When it was hot, I added a big splash of half and half and some extra salt and pepper, and it had magically tranformed into the yummiest cheesy chicken and rice soup! This casserole recipe makes SO MUCH, that this is one way to transform the dish and compel your family to keep eating it–or to take it for lunches during the week. :-)

I just made this tonight but made it more like a chicken bake (without the rice). It was delish!

Diana Keller says:

I take it I have to cook my own wild Rice? No Joes around here.

Tami says:

I loved loved loved this dish! I have no complaints and my hubby ate it all up but I will warn you that it takes quite a bit of prep time. I had all 4 of my burners going…One for the plain rice, one for the wild rice, one for the vegetables and one for the cheese sauce! It was a rush to the finish line but well worth it. It looks like a very simple and easy recipe, which it is, it just requires a lot of multitasking! Thank you for such a delish recipe! I will make this again on a non-work day as its too much for me after a long day of work!

Christine Kasten says:

This turned out amazing! I used the leftovers from a baked chicken the night before. Mostly dark meat left. Threw it in the crock pot with some water and let it cook all morning and after noon. Peeled the meat off and used a couple cups of the chicken stock left. Followed the recipe as is except I left out the celery because I didn’t have any in the fridge. Oh, and I used brown rice instead. Turned out delicious! This would make a great pot luck dish. Thank you for a now stand by recipe!

Summer says:

This was delicious. My 4-year old turned up her nose when she saw it but gobbled it up once she tried it. I have had wild rice in my cupboard forever and was happy to get to use it in such a yummy way. I used Costco rotisserie chicken breast for the shredded chicken. If I calculate based on 8 servings, this has 470 calories and 28 grams of fat per serving so I definitely wouldn’t consider it “healthy” food per say, but the wild rice, veggies, and lean chicken certainly make for a balanced meal :)

Patti Porter says:

If I cooked my own wild rice, how much of the cooked rice should I use in cups? Your recipe says 16 oz, but is that weight? Thanks for your help. I can’t wait to try this!

Kathryn says:

One of the best chicken casseroles I’ve ever made!!! Love it!!!

Judy says:

If I can’t find the pre-cooked wild rice, would that be equivalent to two cups of my own prepared wild rice?

Sara says:

Found this recipe via Pinterest and made it last night! It was delicious!! I don’t even have a Trader Joe’s within 300 miles of me, so I decided to try something else. I used Birds Eye Steamfresh Brown and Wild Rice with Broccoli and Carrots (very healthy and low in fat). It was out of this WORLD good with the cheese sauce, esp. since cheese is so good with broccoli! Plus I didn’t have to cook the other veggies. I recommend others try this if you don’t have a Trader Joe’s or any other type of wild rice available! YUM!!!

ashlee says:

Hey, this recipe looks awesome but I found it on punchfork.com where it was labeled as gluten-free… ? Do you have a flour substitution that you use but isn’t listed?

Jen says:

Made this for the first time… WOW! Kids loved it, husband loved it! We have a winner! Thanks!

[...] you have to read the fine print. I made a Cheesy Chicken and Rice Casserole that I pinned from Picky Palate last night. It didn’t have a million ingredients and there was no cream of anything soup [...]

Judy says:

I made this two nights ago and it was a hit! I didn’t have access to pre-cooked wild rice, so I cooked 1 cup of Lundberg Wild Blend rice in two cups of water. Made about 3 1/2 cups of cooked rice. So used this plus 2 cups of cooked white rice, and it seemed to work out just fine. My husband loved this casserole and ate the leftovers happily! Would make a great dish to take over to a neighbor in need. Thank you so much for sharing!

Karla says:

I made this tonight for supper. It was Fantastic!

Heather says:

I was wondering if you don’t have trader joes wild rice what would i need to do to regular wild rice that isn’t “fully cooked and ready”?

Amy says:

Made this tonight after finding it on Pinterest! Perfect use for my extra Beer Crockpot Chicken! So delicious!

Robin says:

I made this for dinner tonight, and received rave reviews from the family! Thanks so much!