Dec
2010

Kiss Pies

Tags: ,

Desserts

Only 5 days before Christmas!  Woohoo, is everyone ready?  What a great time of year.  This really is the best…..even if I feel like I’ve gained 50 lbs the last month!

I’ve got such a fun little pie to share with you today that really couldn’t get any easier.  I am talking 2 main ingredients people :)

I decided to use the rest  of my Mint truffle Kisses, but ANY Hershey kiss will work beautifully here.  Go grab your favorite flavor and get baking!  You are really going to love these, they are adorable and you can pop em’ right in your mouth :)

Hope you enjoy!

Here you have it, some refrigerated pie crust and any Hershey Kisses :)

I used these bad boys!

Unroll your pie crust after it’s been thawed and place the first group your kisses around like so.

You’ll cut a 2 1/2- 3 inch circle for each kiss.  Does NOT have to be perfect.  A few of mine were different sizes and they were all great.

You’ll brush a light egg wash over each little pie….

….and sprinkle with sugar.  Try not to dump it on like it shows on my picture :)  Trying to do this with one hand while taking the photo=dumping of sugar, lol!

Here they are, I seriously love these!  Ready to bake!

Awhhhh, look at these little Kiss Pies :)  Little cuties.

One of my readers who lives in China sent me these adorable mini forks!  How cute are they?  Thank you Terra!

Kiss Pies

1 refrigerated pie crust, thawed
14 Hershey Kisses of choice, I used Mint Truffle today :)
1 egg white whisked with 1 Tbsp water
Powdered sugar for dusting
Granulated sugar for sprinkling before baking

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Roll out pie dough onto a lightly floured counter top.  Place 10 kisses around the edges of pie dough, about 2 1/2 inches apart (as in the photo above).  Take a knive and cut a 2 1/2-3 inch circle around kiss.  Fold half of pie dough around top of dough and pinch edge around top of kiss.  (See Photo, step 1).  Now, fold up both sides of remaining dough up to the tip of the kiss pinching edge.  (See Photo, step 2).  Now press together edges and form criss cross as shown in photo, step 3. * *Continue cutting dough around kisses until all dough is used up.  I got about 14 rounds cut when I re-rolled my scraps :)**

2.  Brush all little pies with an egg white wash then sprinkle with granulated sugar.  At 350 degrees, bake for 20-28 minutes or until little pies are golden.  Remove and let cool for 5 minutes before transferring to cooling rack.  Dust each with powdered sugar and serve.

about 14 little pies.

Comments

Stephanie says:

What a fun idea and so simple! Thanks for sharing! I’ll definitely make these real soon!

toriisen says:

I just found your site yesterday and love it! You’ve made my tummy very happy. Just wondering where di you find that cake stand? So cute!

sammyjrae says:

I just made these with the raspberry hugs, they came out great! Love it, thanks.

Suzanne says:

My son helped me make these tonight. We used the Cookies and Cream kisses. I wouldn’t recommend those as they had almost no flavor at all. =( Next time I’ll try something much more chocolatey!

cocoblog says:

[...] | ordinary magicFor our second adventure in Valentines, we made baby heart-shaped pies inspired by this post on the Picky [...]

Janelle says:

I love all of your stuff and I try to do at least one of your recipes a week, now I think I need to start hitting the gym and sharing my food with neighbors.

[...] were the kiss pies for starts! I had made up 5 pie crusts on the start of Monday morning. One of which went straight [...]

Samantha says:

Oh my gosh I’ve been looking for that silverware forever!!! Where did you get it from?

Cooper says:

Great fun with my 4 yr old making these! I used a mason jar as my circle cutter. Worked great! I got 14 with out using the scrapes (I like to make cinnamon sugar crisps with these, and daughter was nibbling on them as we went.) Thank you so much for your ideas!

Joanne says:

AMAZING!! THANK YOUU so much! i tried to make these today and they were delicious and my whole family loves them. im definitely gonna make these more often.

[...] Chocolate kiss pies. [...]

Katie says:

I am baking these right now, they smell great! I got a link to this from Pinterest. Thanks so much!

Nadine says:

I saw this on Pinterest and thought it was a great recipe. I also have a cooking blog in which I not only post the ingredients but also do a video for each recipe. With your permission I would love to do this recipe for my blog and youtube channel. Of course I would give you credit for where I saw it and place your blog address on my blog.

Please let me know if this okay with you. Thank you.

I made these this morning for the first time and Oh. My. God. Delicious!!! They couldn’t have been easier, thanks for the recipe, and I’ll definately be making them again!

Catherine says:

I tried making these the past weekend with caramel kisses and I didn’t have too much success. I had pinched all the sides closed just as you say to do and brushed with the egg white, but once in the oven they all started to break away at the seams and open up. They did not stay closed like yours in the picture. Did this happen to you before when you first tried making them? If so, how did you overcome it? Thanks!

Rod Waynick says:

Yay cutco! good choice. Also, great recipe!

[...] I found another easy recipe I had to had to had to try on Pinterest. Once I found these limited edition kisses, I knew I had to make Kiss Pies. [...]

Brittany says:

Wow, those look so good! I’m not a fan of Hershey’s Kisses but I bet these would be great with those new mini Reese’s cups! Thanks for the recipe!

Would love to make these….how far in advance can I make them?
    Thx

Kellie says:

My sister and I made these for Thanksgiving! They were easy to make and were delicious!

[...] en: Picky Palate GA_googleAddAttr("AdOpt", "1"); GA_googleAddAttr("Origin", "other"); [...]

[...] is the link to the original blog post – http://picky-palate.com/2010/12/20/kiss-pies/ Rate this: Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:LikeBe the first to like this post. This entry [...]

Allie G says:

I attempted to make these – and the dough did not stay together where pinched – any advice?

Thanks!

★ SAM ★ says:

I made these! I made them a little differently though I put various things in them, dove chocolates, andes mints and almond paste, they were amazing. I blogged them

British American says:

Going to make these twice this week – once for a ladies party at church and once for my 4 year old’s class party. Thanks for the idea! :)

Rebecca says:

I made these the other day. Didn’t have any kisses, but I used a few white chocolate chips and a few dried cranberries each and they were LOVELY. I also just used a coffee cup to cut out the circles in the dough which made them uniform and much easier (for me at least) than trying to cut a circle with a knife!

Thanks for sharing!

Bridget says:

Thanks so much! I made these last night, and used a wine glass to cut my circles- it worked like a charm!
    they tasted like fluffy thin-mint cookies, mmmm

Amanda says:

These are adorable, but after making 4 batches I have a couple tips:
    1. Don’t use caramel kisses. No matter how well I sealed them they still oozed all over the baking sheet, probably ruining it (its still soaking) and then didn’t taste good.
    2. dab a little of your egg wash on the edges of the circle before folding things up. This makes a much better seal.
    3. Mexican Chocolate variation: Use dark chocolate kisses and before placing your kiss on the crust circle, dip it in the egg wash and then roll it in a mixture of cinnamon, sugar, and a dash of cayenne pepper. (don’t put the cinnamon mixture on the crust itself, it won’t seal properly). This makes a delicious spicy chocolate pie.

Jennifer says:

Thinking about making these for teacher gifts. Any tips on storing them? How long do you think they would stay good?
    Thanks for the fantastic idea!

Rose says:

You forgot to add the granulated sugar to the list of ingredients. Minor detail but some may look to see what they need first before viewing/reading the entire picture instructions.

Your illustrated recipe is fantastic! Thank you for teaching us…I am making these for our Christmas party this year.

terri hemmerling says:

I won’t be making these again. Like some other people who have tried these, majority of my edges came undone. Waste of time and money on my part. Hopefully others will have better luck.

Rose says:

Maybe you left them in a bit too long? Perhaps you could try pushing them together with a fork next time. Don’t get up until you try a few different things.

Ohh You may even want to make your circle a little bigger so it isn’t such a tight fit. :) I hope you won’t give up!

Morgan says:

I made mine with a little bit bigger circle and had better luck.. and once I pinched everything up I gave it a real good squeeze in the middle to hold everything together. They weren’t too pretty but they held up!

Angela says:

I just made these last night with the mint kisses and loved them. Love your blog!

Trev says:

Alright so i’m pretty sure i’m the only guy that’s gotten on here and attempted to make these… Somehow the kisses didn’t melt for us? If anyone’s got ideas on what i could’ve done wrong let me know! in my head i had pictured biting into the pie and having chocolate ooze out the sides… :(

Bert in Rice, WA says:

My first batch is in the oven right now. They are destined for a potluck, but I can see we’ll have to destroy ;o) a couple of prototypes that I did not seal well enough. They are unfolding as they cook.

Morgan says:

Just made these with cherry cordial kisses and they were divine!!

Mary says:

These look yummy and with so many kinds of kisses these days you could make quite a variety.
    I shared the link on my facebook page

Suzanne says:

I tried to thaw frozen pie crusts for this, but they just fell apart. Looks like you really do need the refrigerated ones.

Mary McFadden says:

I would use a glass for a cookie cutter. If I store these overnight, do I need to refridgerate them?

Mandy W says:

My 7 year old helped me make these a few minutes ago. They turned out very good with the exception of a few that opened up. We made half mint truffle kisses and half special dark. Pretty tasty!

Saira says:

Just made these tonight, used the mint and candy cane kisses, these are Amazing!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

rita says:

Question. When baking these cute pies. I don’t have a pad that is pictured. Can I use parchment paper or bake on ungreased pan?

Tyler says:

We made these today, great idea, thanks!

Chat Saudi says:

Your creativity amazes me! These are the cutest

mar says:

how do you store these?

[...] all the madness of the holiday started, I threw together these little kiss pies. I saw them on the Picky Palate and knew I had to give them a try. They are perfect for the occasion when you want to do something a [...]

Dawn Robins says:

I loved this idea! I made them with regular Kisses and they didn’t melt so well. I will have to try with the flavored ones. But I did use the pie pocket and added a little twist of my own.
    Please come by and check it out.

Don’t mind the blog, it’s a work in progress :)