Apr
2011

The Ugliest Best Cookies Ever

Tags:

Cookies

Ok, so hear me out on this one :)  I have to laugh at this post, I have learned that laughter is the best medicine and it certainly was last week…..

I was working away on my cookbook last Friday, which was ironically April Fools, cleaning up around the house, when I had the BEST idea for a cookie.  I was positive this would be a gorgeous fluffy bakery style cookie that I was going to surprise my boys with when they got home from school and of course share with all of you.  So shocking, I was experimenting around with another Oreo cookie concoction.  I placed the Oreos in the food processor until they were finely ground like flour and used these ground Oreos as the “flour” in my cookies.  Lol!

Well, needless to say, when I peeked inside the oven when the timer went off, I discovered a flat spread mess all over my cookie sheet.   Disappointment set in as I took them out of the oven, placed them on the counter and I simply told myself, oh well at least I know…..that idea wasn’t so great after all.

Here’s where it gets good.

15 minutes or so went by and just as I was scraping the flattened hideous cookies off of the silpat liner ready to toss them in the garbage, I took a sympathy bite and said, you have got to be kidding me?!!  That cookie mess that I nearly chucked in the garbage was the best ugliest thing ever!  I quickly got a spoon as you can see above and ate the destroyed cookies right off of the cookie sheet with my spoon.  These are officially the Ugliest Best Cookies EVER!  Lol!

Here are  my thoughts, you definitely do not want to serve these to guests, but oh baby if you are in for the night watching a movie with your sweetie, bake up an “Ugly” batch of and share them right off of the cookie sheet!  How romantic, lol!

We finished the whole darn baking sheet with that very spoon photographed above and my boys have asked if we get to have the Ugly cookies again.  Seriously funny. Without further ado, I give you my…..Ugliest Best Cookies Ever.

Here’s what you’ll need for your very own ugly cookies.

Here are the stars of the show….or so I thought at the time :)

Here are those ground Oreos I used as the flour for my cookies.

2 1/2 cups to be exact :)

1 lovely cup of sugar

Buttah.

Time to cream the butter and sugar.

Beat in your eggs.

Add the vanilla!

Add your Oreo Flour :)

….and your chips.

I was seriously so proud at this moment, lol!

Here’s what you’ll get once cooled for 15 minutes.  An atrocious, yet crispy, buttery cookies and cream fabulous mess!

When life gives you ugly cookies, grab the spoon and have at it :)

The Ugliest Best Cookies Ever

2 sticks softened butter

1 cup granulated sugar

2 large eggs

1 teaspoon vanilla

2 1/2 cups ground Oreo Cookies, should be ground fine like flour (2 rows of Oreos in a package)

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

1 1/2 cups chocolate chips

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  and line a large baking sheet with a silpat liner.

2.  In a stand or electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar until well combined.  Add eggs and vanilla until well combined.  Add cookies, baking powder, salt and chips, mixing until just combined.

3.  With a cookie scoop, place dough onto prepared baking dish and bake for 12 minutes until horribly flattened and starting to crisp around edges.  Remove, laugh and let cool for 10-15 minutes before devouring with a spoon with your favorite people!!

Makes 4 servings

________________________________

Have a great day!!  See you soon :)

Comments

Kathryn says:

I don’t think they look ugly at all, just like one amazing giant flat oreo! I can imagine the cookies would be great crumbled over ice cream.

Those would be so good with a spoon and some milk or some vanilla bean ice cream! Yum!

LOL! Oh how I have been there. Sometimes the most delicious things are hideous.

Oh my I don’t care what they look like because they sound really delicious. I made some ugly cookies yesterday but they tasted so good I didn’t care.

Katrina says:

I’ll trust ya, and make these tonight! Mmmm.

HA! love it when cookies do that (they do it far more often for me than i’d like ;)) anything you make with oreos tends to be amazing though!

omg i am prewriting a post about ugly food and how to beautify it…and then I come across your post! serendipity!

Some foods are just…not the prettiest, but they taste..THE BEST. like these cookies no doubt :)

A tray of Oreos, yes, I am so game :)

Daisha says:

You go wrong with those ingredients! They sound delicious, ugliness and all!

I think the best way to eat this would be in a bowl with some milk and a spoon! :)

Mrsblocko says:

I’m glad that even you have stuff that turns out ugly but is still tasty. It makes me feel a lot better about my own cooking!

btw.Do you think the cookies might spread less if you froze them before baking?

I don’t know. I have not tried that with these but I will. Let me know if you put them in the freezer and if it worked or not.

Erin A says:

Ok, I just have to say thank you for posting this. I am sure, based on description/ingredients that they taste wonderful….but I am so glad I am not the only one who gets a but experimental with cookies and has them mess up! :)

Deanna G. says:

I wonder how these would work if you baked them as a think bar instead of a cookie? Just a thought.

Val says:

I was thinking the same thing. I thought, if you would use a square pan and lined it with parchment paper, it might turn out as a bar cookie since there would be less area to spread to.

Just a thought.

• Jenny says:

I actually tried baking the rest of the dough in a square baker. It was a little better, but still not “appealing.” Lol! I preferred scraping with the spoon :)

Doughmesstic says:

Sounds delicious! I just wonder if it would have worked better had you scraped out the cream first, and not ground it with the cookies? So many questions, so many excuses to have to buy more Oreos. :)

GinaMonique says:

That is exactly what I was thinking…Definatly gonna try this recipe but scrape out the oreo centers first!!!

• Larissa says:

My thoughts, too! The cream probably gives it too much moisture/oil (whatever is in that cream, it can’t be actual butter, can it?). You could save the cream and turn it into a drizzle (I don’t have a great idea on how to do that, though).

Kristina says:

My grandmother once messed up a fudge recipe and created (cleverly thinking on her quick feet) “spoon fudge.” She has only recreated it once, but it is still discussed and asked for often around our house! Sometimes those kitchen blunders turn into kitchen deliciousness!

Deanna G. says:

I meant THIN bar above…opps.

Laura M. says:

I can’t help but think that would make an interesting alternative in recipes that call for a graham cracker or cookie crumb crust.

Georgie says:

I’m not even sure those are a mistake? They just need a new name with “crumble” in the title – think of all the splendid ways you could eat them, yum!

Melinda says:

This is something my dad would love to make; he’d purposely make sure they were as ugly as possible so there’d be more for him! It looks delicious, even if it didn’t turn out the way you hoped! You can never go wrong with oreos. :)

Lorna says:

I wonder how it would be if you added real flour?

so funny! I can’t believe you almost threw them out without tasting them! :)

KrisT says:

LOVE that you shared this with us and can laugh about it. :) I’m sure you will keep experimenting to make it work next time, but really you can’t go wrong with butter, and Oreos involved!

Who cares if they are ugly! Give me a fork!

EatLiveRun says:

hahahaha this made my morning, Jenny :) I make a lot of yummy ugly things and I’ve learned that if there are oreos involved, it can’t be all that bad! ;)

That’s too funny! That has happened to me, more times than I’d like to admit! I bet they’d taste great mixed in with some ice cream,and then top it off with oreo cookies to make an ice cream sandwich! yumm!

beth h says:

lmao those sound awesome! and i have TOTALLY done that before!

Misty says:

*ha ha* Isn’t there a quote out there somewhere that says something like “you’ll never learn to cook if you are afraid to fail” ?….something like that. Anyway, this is a perfect example. My hubby and I love oreos. I’ll have to give these a try!

Nicole says:

I love that motto~ must grab spoon soon!

Caelyn says:

I wonder if they would be…puffier…if you substituted a little real flour with the oreos? they still look like i could eat the whole sheet either way

lauren says:

how about using nabisco’s famous chocolate wafers for the “flour” instead of oreos?

leslie says:

Too funny. I love disaster stories with happy endings!

Sondra says:

I could so see doing this and then taking the results to do a crumbled top of a cake or pie with it. Looks yummy.

Tracy says:

Haha – great story! It’s always best when you can eat the evidence. ;-)

Erin says:

What a relief to see that it’s not just me who sometimes ends up with a not-so-pretty cookie despite how awesome it tastes! I applaud your honesty. Maybe I will post my ugly-delicious creation I made over the weekend after all :-)

Erin says:

Oh one more thing, half way through baking my disaster cookies I decided to use muffin top pans, to stop them from spreading. Worked pretty good! But now I have a pile of thin fallen-apart cookies and then a few giant saucer sizer ones haha.

Miranda says:

So funny, and I think we’ve all been there!

JulieS says:

Maybe it’s just the pregnancy talking here, but I’m thinking those with vanilla ice cream or crushed on top of cheesecake, or even sprinkled on top of cream cheese icing that’s topping chocolate cupcakes….. So craving that right now!!! Thanks for sharing!

Amanda says:

Love these :) Pass the spoon! :)

These cookies look right up my alley! I will definitely have to try them! That picture of them right before they went into the oven looks so good!

You definitely had the best intentions!! What if you subbed the SUGAR for oreos instead of the flour?

Daphne says:

they must taste AWESOME… but i wonder what would happen if you baked them in a muffin tin…

I tried baking the rest of the dough in a square baker. It was a little better, but still not what I pictured. I preferred the spoon and cookie sheet :)

Katie says:

I bet those cookies would taste amazing on top of ice cream!

Sues says:

Hehe I hate when that happens! But still, I can TELL how yummy these are!!!

Clare says:

Mmm that looks so delicious!

Love this! Makes me feel normal that some of my recipes don’t always turn out like expected!

anonymous says:

2 sticks of butter? I don’t thnik that much is needed since the cream filling prob has shortening in it and that’s prob what made it spread out so much. 1 cup of sugar? prob could reduce that as well since it’s in the filling. If u were just grinding the oreo cookies without the creme part, them maybe those amounts would work. Or maybe refrigerate the dough first…

Meg says:

I second this! Oreos are not just flour but fat and sugar too. Perhaps try again with half the butter and either no or very little sugar? I’ve had virtually this exact mess when I meant to halve a trusty chocolate chip cookie recipe and mistakenly used the full dose of butter+sugar but half of everything else. :D

Erin A says:

I love it! It’s good to know that even the food bloggers who I perceive as perfect in the kitchen have their own little mishaps too!

I’m thinking crumble them up and use them as a crunchy ice cream topping! Sounds delicious.

Sharlene says:

I wonder if this could be crumbled and used as a topping for ice cream sundaes or as a replacement for crunchies in an ice cream cake!

Caroline says:

Believe me, I am not an expert baker! What if you added 1 tsp of baking soda? Would that not work? I would think it would puff them up a little bit so they can be a tasty and pretty cookie. I am too afraid to try. =)

Thanks for posting this because I caught an error in my recipe! It is supposed to read baking soda, not baking powder. Just edited that. Alas, it did not help :) Oh well, I am fine eating these from the baking sheet, lol!

Jenny this post has me grinning big. Your “Ugliest Best Cookies Ever” look like a fun & messy treat! I bet you guys had a blast munching this one ;) xxoo