Apr
2011

The Ugliest Best Cookies Ever

Tags:

Cookies

Ok, so hear me out on this one :)  I have to laugh at this post, I have learned that laughter is the best medicine and it certainly was last week…..

I was working away on my cookbook last Friday, which was ironically April Fools, cleaning up around the house, when I had the BEST idea for a cookie.  I was positive this would be a gorgeous fluffy bakery style cookie that I was going to surprise my boys with when they got home from school and of course share with all of you.  So shocking, I was experimenting around with another Oreo cookie concoction.  I placed the Oreos in the food processor until they were finely ground like flour and used these ground Oreos as the “flour” in my cookies.  Lol!

Well, needless to say, when I peeked inside the oven when the timer went off, I discovered a flat spread mess all over my cookie sheet.   Disappointment set in as I took them out of the oven, placed them on the counter and I simply told myself, oh well at least I know…..that idea wasn’t so great after all.

Here’s where it gets good.

15 minutes or so went by and just as I was scraping the flattened hideous cookies off of the silpat liner ready to toss them in the garbage, I took a sympathy bite and said, you have got to be kidding me?!!  That cookie mess that I nearly chucked in the garbage was the best ugliest thing ever!  I quickly got a spoon as you can see above and ate the destroyed cookies right off of the cookie sheet with my spoon.  These are officially the Ugliest Best Cookies EVER!  Lol!

Here are  my thoughts, you definitely do not want to serve these to guests, but oh baby if you are in for the night watching a movie with your sweetie, bake up an “Ugly” batch of and share them right off of the cookie sheet!  How romantic, lol!

We finished the whole darn baking sheet with that very spoon photographed above and my boys have asked if we get to have the Ugly cookies again.  Seriously funny. Without further ado, I give you my…..Ugliest Best Cookies Ever.

Here’s what you’ll need for your very own ugly cookies.

Here are the stars of the show….or so I thought at the time :)

Here are those ground Oreos I used as the flour for my cookies.

2 1/2 cups to be exact :)

1 lovely cup of sugar

Buttah.

Time to cream the butter and sugar.

Beat in your eggs.

Add the vanilla!

Add your Oreo Flour :)

….and your chips.

I was seriously so proud at this moment, lol!

Here’s what you’ll get once cooled for 15 minutes.  An atrocious, yet crispy, buttery cookies and cream fabulous mess!

When life gives you ugly cookies, grab the spoon and have at it :)

The Ugliest Best Cookies Ever

2 sticks softened butter

1 cup granulated sugar

2 large eggs

1 teaspoon vanilla

2 1/2 cups ground Oreo Cookies, should be ground fine like flour (2 rows of Oreos in a package)

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

1 1/2 cups chocolate chips

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  and line a large baking sheet with a silpat liner.

2.  In a stand or electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar until well combined.  Add eggs and vanilla until well combined.  Add cookies, baking powder, salt and chips, mixing until just combined.

3.  With a cookie scoop, place dough onto prepared baking dish and bake for 12 minutes until horribly flattened and starting to crisp around edges.  Remove, laugh and let cool for 10-15 minutes before devouring with a spoon with your favorite people!!

Makes 4 servings

________________________________

Have a great day!!  See you soon :)

Comments

Michele says:

I’m not very good at baking but I’m wondering if you put some baking powder in if it will help them puff up?

Cute story, Jenny. Who care what they look like when they taste good – and I’m sure this treat tastes great.

What if you put these in a brownie pan instead???? Mmm the potential is huge :)

Lynda says:

It’s good to be able to laugh at our mistakes and if they turn out yummy, well that’s even better. I have a question though. Would these “cookies” be too soft to pick up if you baked them in the bottom of muffin tins or on the muffin top sheet?

Heather says:

Since you have one of those silicone mats… you could have picked it up, broken it is to chips and served with ice cream like a tortilla chip in salsa. Tasty and they do not have to know it was unintended. :P

I would totally eat these! I bet they would be amazing crumbled onto ice cream :) You could serve it to guests that way!

Amber says:

I love your idea! Sounds SO good!! My question is – do you scrape the Oreo filling off or leave it. I wonder if that’s why it went flat.

Alex says:

You could try making it as a brownie. in small muffin tins. :)

Betty says:

this is hilarious well done :O)

Patti Morfeld says:

What I love about this post is that you went ahead and posted all the pictures and the disaster!

My kitchen has taught me, over and over, that sometimes the most aesthetically challenged creations can taste the best, BY FAR.

I can’t wait to try these – thank you for the recipe!!

locomoca says:

makes four 1,500 calorie/100 grams of fat servings! LOL!

Debbie says:

Oh heaven help me. So basically what we have here is an Oreo cookie with more butter and sugar added… because they were just too darn healthy on their own! :) This recipe could be serious trouble for me if I were ever to attempt it. I’m not sure I’d ever fit through a door again! I love someone’s comment of crumbling it and using it as a topping on ice cream! (Going weak at the knees.) I can only imagine the heavenly bliss. Yum!!

Roxana says:

What if…you add more oreo flour and less moisten ingredients, would that work? Just asking…. Nevermind, these look delicious tho…

Larissa says:

You could use them to make a tifle with pudding and whipped cream and full oreos or brownies or cake. Yum!

Beth says:

I wonder how this would work if you cooked it in an 8 x 8 pan then cut it into bars and served it like a brownie?

I LOVE this post! Seriously, it made me laugh, and it made me want to try these ugly cookies!

Keep coming up with these creative ideas! Sometimes they work out, and sometimes they don’t. Either way, it’s so fun to try.

[...] called “The ugliest cookie ever” and it’s from one of my favorite food blogs Picky Palate Do you have any food disasters you are willing to share. Please help me to not feel alone here [...]

Looks yummy – one question. Looks like 1 stick of butter was cut in half in the pictures BUT recipe calls for 2 sticks of butter…………which one is right? 1 stick or 2? Thank you – love your recipes.

noone says:

this recipe is amazing, thanks for uploading! I changed the oreo bit to bourbon biscuits. even though oreos are amazing, I also recommend bourbon biscuits.
    thanks.