Don't miss a single recipe from Picky Palate: sign up for my weekly newsletter

Desserts
Jul
2011

Gooey Cookies and Cream Double Chocolate Cake Bars

Tags: , ,

Oh the joys of summer.Β  Family visiting, beach time, Disneyland adventures and of course over the top baking ideas πŸ™‚Β  This bar is just that…over the top and decadent.Β  With just a few simple pantry ingredients, you’ll have this fun recipe staring right at ya, lol!Β  My mom and I whipped this together last week and we are glad we did.Β  Chocolate overload!

Hope everyone is having a great summer so far!!Β  Enjoy another crazy bar from Moi πŸ™‚

You’ll need a Devil’s food cake mix, 1 egg and 1 stick softened butter (1/2 cup/8 tablespoons).Β  Mix, Mix, Mix.

I use my hands to mix and you’ll get a firm dough like so.

Break it in chunks and place evenly into a 9×13 inch baking pan.

Press into pan until even.

I’ve baked a thing or two with these bad boys haven’t I?Β  Take 14 of them and break them into pieces.

Place them evenly over top.

Pour a 14 ounce can of sweetened condensed milk over top of cookies like my sweet mom is doing here πŸ™‚

Why not add some chocolate chips right?

Once cooled, cut into squares and be prepared to swoon!Β  Enjoy πŸ™‚

Gooey Cookies and Cream Chocolate Cake Bars

1 Devils Food Cake Mix

8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened

1 large egg

1 1/2 cups chocolate chips

14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk

14 Oreo Cookies, broken into bite size pieces

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and line a 9×13 inch baking pan with tin foil sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.

2. Place cake mix, butter and egg into a large bowl, mixing to combine. Use your hands, it works much quicker πŸ™‚ Press into prepared baking pan. Top with broken pieces of cookies.

3. Pour sweetened condensed milk over cookies and top with chocolate chips. Bake for 23-25 minutes, until cooked through. Remove from oven.

4.Β  After 5 minutes of cooling, run a plastic knife around edges to loosen, this makes it much easier to remove from foil.Β  Let cool completely, remove foil from pan, then cut into squares.Β  I cut off all of the edges before cutting into squares (makes for neater squares), but do whatever you’d like!!

Makes 12 bars

FOLLOW PICKY PALATE ON INSTAGRAM! Show me what recipes you're making from Picky Palate by using #pickypalate.

Comments

[…] week I saw this recipe on Picky Palate’s blog. Β I love her and her dessert recipes. This recipe looked […]

[…] said this before, but I love Picky Palate. I don’t know if it’s because her photos are so beautiful, or because she loves […]

WOW. I went to chocolate heaven looking at these. Neat idea!

Janet Duran says:

I just made this and they came out just like the picture and fabulous! Thank you so much Jenny!
    Charmaine, in my opinion, the only thing that may have caused this is if you forgot the step of spreading the batter evenly at the bottom of the pan? Maybe you left it in chunks?

sandi says:

Made these this morning and lets just say the pan was half gone in no time! yummy!

[…] Oreo Chocolate Chip Fudge Bars (from Picky Palate) […]

[…] Picky Palate-Gooey Cookies and Cream Double Chocolate Cake Bars […]

[…] Gooey Cookies & Cream Double Choc Cake Bars […]

Suzanne says:

These were super yummy! I think they were especially good after chilling in the fridge.

Elaina says:

Thank you for leaving this comment! I am making these to bring into work tomorrow, and I didn’t know if I needed to get up early and make them or put them in the fridge overnight. You answered my question!

Alise Hagan says:

My husband and I made these this weekend and they were, quite simply, divine. My 3-year-old son gobbled it up, but my 14-month-old daughter’s reaction was priceless. After the first bite, she broke out in a huge grin, nodded her head firmly, let out a “Yummmmmm”, then threw her spoon on the floor and leaned into my bowl with her mouth wide open for more. I can’t wait to try more from your site — thank you for making a recipe we all LOVE!

Cheryl Ewert says:

I made these last night and everybody loves them…will be making these again!!!

Kim in MT says:

I’ve been checking your blog out for a while and just made these last night – soo yummy and so easy. Thank you!

Ana says:

A friend and I baked these up with our kiddos but found the base (cake) to be gritty. Love the idea of the cookies, sweetened condensed milk, and chocolate chips though. Maybe on top of a brownie?

Patti says:

I’m thinking these might need a little coconut sprinkled on top! I can hardly wait to give that a try πŸ™‚

[…] found this recipe on one of my daily reads, Picky Palate, and decided to slightly alter it. It is a breeze to […]

Shelley says:

Well I just made it and it’s not pretty. Frothy, bubbly, didn’t cook evenly. I think it could eaten with a spoon, not at all cake like and I baked it much longer than the recipe called for. Perhaps I used too much condensed milk………

Jeanne says:

Do you generally use double stuff or regular oreos?

[…] Jenny shared these back in early July and I finally got around to making them this weekend! […]

Catriona says:

I just made these for no apparent reason and am pleased to say they look just like the picture! And taste lush – salty, sweet and very chocolatey.

[…] I saw a link for Gooey Cookies and Cream Double Chocolate Cake Bars, I died and fell out of my chair. Β A few clicks later, the recipe was printed, in my purse, and I […]

Samantha says:

These were delicious! I made them and took them to school to share and everyone loved them! I posted this recipe on my own blog and my sister commented that these are like brownies that my family made growing up, but we used caramel instead of the condensed milk. Thanks for the amazingness!

[…] One of my favorite recipes – one that gets devoured quickly – are the gooey cake bars; both the white chocolate smores and the chocolate oreos. […]

Camille T. says:

These were ridiculous!!!!!! (in a good way)!! I have a sweet tooth and love evwrythig sweet and usually can eat lots without feeling sick but this my friends.. Is sooo perfect and sweet youll only
    Need a bit! Gooey and warm, and with vanilla ice cream it was to die for!
    Although after 25 mins the cake base rly didnt look baked tru at all when i ran a knife around the edge it wasnt baked so i put it back in the oven for about 10 mins. And even after that it was rly rly gooey. I let it sit on the counter for a bit, then put it in the fridge and the nxt day they were all set and perfect πŸ™‚
    Just put em in the microwave or in the oven right b4 u eat them and then add ice cream its DELISHHH i made them for my in laws and they talked about my bars for days haha
    Oh btw i put 20 oreos instead of 14, and also 1 cup white choc chips and 1/2 cup regular choc chips instead of all regular choc chips amazing!
    Thanks a lot for this recipe youre the best!

Stacey says:

I have a pan in the oven now. Can’t wait to try them at the lake party where I am taking them to share with friends. I don’t know that I can wait till tomorrow to sample them, though!

Aurelia says:

OMG, I love that you use sweetened condensed milk. I love this stuff but it’s so heavy! Wonderful recipe!!!

Christy says:

OH. MY. GOODNESS. This sounds heavenly!!! I’m gonna make it tonight for my hubby. It’s our four year anniversary and he loves all things Oreo! πŸ™‚

Ruthie says:

Made these tonight and they were AWESOME!!!!

Kelly says:

Made these with mint oreos!! So delicious, love all of your recipes and the variety that I can easily add to them, endless possibilities!

[…] Gooey Cookies and Cream, Double Chocolate Cake bars! Β It’s a mouthful to say, but O MY.. what a mouthful they make! Β The Picky-Palette won’t have any problem getting these past my pallete! Β She put together a great tutoriall, and I thought it would make a great addition to our Kitchen Inspired Gift Giving Month here. […]

Amanda says:

How long will these keep? I am looking for new recipes to send to my fiance’ who is stationed in Germany and it takes about a week for packages to get to him. I usually send homemade cookies, but I’m thinking these wouldn’t keep that long in a box going through the postal system because of the sweetened condensed milk :-/

Jade says:

These look AMAZING! I’ll be making these for sure! My hubby doesn’t love chocolate as much so I think I’ll make home blondies and use the vanilla oreos and white chocolate chips for him! YUUUUUM! THANKS!

Rachelc says:

I assume you used semi-sweet chocolate chips, which im not a huge fan of do you think white chocolate chips would work?

L says:

Can I use any chocolate cake mix or does it have to be devils food cake?

Naomi says:

I’m making these now but used the peanut butter cream filled oreos, and am baking it into a pie crust. I’m sure it’s going to be fantastic as well but will be in a pie! Kind of excited.

Cassie says:

How far in advance could these be made? If I made them the night before and took to work the next day would it be okay?

Mary says:

My stuff ended up like Charmain’s everything sunk to the middle and the cake baked up in weird places. I followed the recipe exactly. I’m hoping it takes waaaay better than it looks. I’m just sad that it wont look impressive when I take them to the office tomorrow πŸ™

Tracey borneman says:

These were great and sooo easy to make . Everyone LOVE them.

Alex D says:

Can I substitute brownies instead of devil’s food cake mix? Would I need to change anything?

celesteina says:

Thank you for the recipe. I can’t wait to make it.

Ann Potter says:

This recipe sounds great. I would add chopped pecans along with the chocolate chips. But then I love pecans!

Rachel says:

Are these easy to cut and serve? Are they like brownies or chocolate cake? I back for a large group of people weekly and steer clear of anything requiring plates and forks.

WOW, looks amazing πŸ™‚

Trish Meals says:

I really hope to fix this recipe tomorrow evening for my family, but need to know if you used semi sweet chocolate chips or milk chocolate! I noticed a lot of your recipes just say chocolate chips, so I don’t know if you just base it on preference or if there’s just one you use all the time.

Amani says:

OMG!! Can’t wait to try this! Looks dEEEEEEEEEEEElicious!!!

Andrea :) says:

I just made these .. Oh my ! So good. Words can’t describe
    Yum yum .. Big hit with my family.
    Thanks for sharing .

Melissa says:

I am making these tonight for my mother in laws birthday! Can’t wait to eat them πŸ˜‰

Hun8bee says:

I really like the way you photograph each step! It smells delicious and I am going to decorate halloween style but no Halloween Oreos in my store yet;(

Jenn says:

Alright! Making these today. But those chocolate chips… They aren’t I the actual recipe. What kind did you use and how much? Is it basically whatever is on hand and however much you want?