Jul
2011

You Scream I Scream We All Scream For Ice Cream….in our desserts!

Desserts

First off, happy Summer to everyone.  I am absolutely loving the time the boys and I have right now before school is back in session.  Beaches, pool side, Disneyland, See’s Candy and who knows what else we’ll be up to, lol.  Loving it all.

Ok, for those of you who are newer to Picky Palate, you may not have witnessed my “Ice Cream” desserts feature.  These are some of my very favorite recipes and I thought with summer in full swing that I would feature them again…..because they are so darn fun and delicious.  Now, when I say “Ice Cream” desserts I mean the ice cream is actually inside the desserts :)  The beauty with all of these recipes is you can use your favorite ice  cream.  Mix it up and have fun!  Scroll down and peek at some of my favorites.

Have a beautiful day!

Ice Cream Chocolate Chip Cookies

2 sticks softened butter

1 Cup granulated sugar

3/4 Cup packed brown sugar

2 large eggs

1 1/2 Tablespoons pure vanilla

Heaping 1/2 Cup vanilla ice cream (frozen from container)

4 Cups all purpose flour

1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda

1 teaspoon salt

1 bag chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a stand or electric mixer, cream the butter and sugars until fluffy. Add in eggs and vanilla until well combined. Add in ice cream until combined.

2. Place flour, baking soda and salt into a large bowl; mix. Add to wet ingredients along with the chocolate chips; mix until just combined. With a medium cookie scoop, scoop dough onto a silpat or parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 9-11 minutes or until cookies are cooked through. Let cool for 5 minutes on baking sheet before transferring to a cooling rack. Serve with a marashino cherry on top

3-4 dozen cookies

_________________________

Ice Cream Sundae Brownies

1 box Brownie Mix

2 eggs

1/2 Cup canola or vegetable oil

Heaping 1/2 Cup of your favorite Ice Cream (I used Ben and Jerry’s Phish Food)

1 1/2 Cups chocolate chips

1/4 Cup hot fudge topping (chilled)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl mix the brownie mix, 2 eggs and oil until combined…and thick. I did NOT add the water. Scoop in ice cream, chocolate chips and hot fudge; mix until combined. Pour into a foil lined 9×13 inch baking dish that’s been GENEROUSLY sprayed with cooking spray. More is better here :) Bake for 40-50 minutes or until toothpick comes clean from center.

2. Let cool completely. Remove foil from baking dish, cut into squares and serve.

12 brownies

________________________

Ice Cream Sundae 4 Layer Chocolate Cake

1 box Devils Food Cake Mix1 small box instant chocolate pudding mix

4 eggs

1/2 Cup water

1/2 Cup canola or vegetable oil

1 heaping Cup of Vanilla Ice Cream (or whatever ice cream flavor you choose)

1/4 Cup Hot Fudge Sauce

Chocolate Frosting of Choice

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place cake mix, pudding, eggs, water oil, ice cream and hot fudge sauce into stand or electric mixer. Beat on low then medium for about 1 minute 30 seconds or until well combined and thick. Divide evenly into 4 (9 inch) cake pans that have been generously sprayed with cooking spray. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until toothpick comes mostly clean from center. Let cool completely, loosen sides with a plastic knife then remove from pans. Place bottom layer onto a cake stand, spread with your favorite chocolate frosting….repeat until 3 layers are frosted leaving 4th layer on top. Frost remaining top and sides of cake with frosting.

2. Take a vegetable peeler and peel chocolate bloc to get curls, about 2 cups worth. Press curls onto sides of cake and serve room temperature or refrigerate to chill.

12 servings

Here are some summer pics of when my sweet family from AZ was visiting a couple weeks ago.  Left is me with my 2 little boys and my almost 16 year old brother.  He was born when I was a senior in high school.  Talk about major reminder for how long I’ve been graduated :) Right is my beautiful sister Kimberly.  She is so talented and runs the cutest little girl clothing boutique called Tot Shop Boutique.  You must check it out!

More fun photos from our time this summer.  All of these photos are from Instagram on my iPhone.  I Love Love Love it.  If you also use it, find me @pickypalate, would love to follow you guys!

__________________________

Have a beautiful rest of your week, come back soon….like tomorrow for a fun giveaway :)

Comments

becca says:

I made the brownies last night for my birthday today. they were amazing… with a side of rocky road, of course!

Libby says:

I have a great idea!!! How about the next time you come “home” we can get a bunch of girlies together and you can teach us how to cook up some yummy stuff. Of course that would pretty much only benefit those of us learning, but it would be way fun-I’m just sayin’ :)!

You are so funny! I would love a little girls night full of fun and food. I’ll let you know when we are planning our next trip…..in no hurry this summer. I do not miss those miserable summers girl! xoxoxo

Libby says:

Oh, and I cannot believe how big your brother is now!! What a cute bunch of boys!

Kathryn says:

I would never have thought of using ice cream in a cookie/brownie/cake. What a great idea! I love instagram too, it makes even the most boring pictures look like something amazing!

These look wonderful. Those brownies look so incredibly moist (or are they the cake layers?) Either way – yum. I had a bundt cake once with the Cherry Garcia ice cream and it was so good. The ice cream definitely gave it a different flavor.

Hi Becki, The brownies are indeed brownies and the cake is actually cake, lol! However you never know right? I get nuts sometimes :)

Your entire family is gorgeous! You, your sister are both hotties :) and your boys and your lil bro…all handsome! And you all have the sweetest smiles!

I am so glad you are enjoying summer, the beach, Sees candy!!, and just having a great time of it. I can tell from your instagram pics that you’re really loving your days lately…so happy for you!

And these recipes, well, stunning. The chocolate looks so moist and gooey…I want it big time!

Averie, you are always so sweet. Thank you for taking the time to leave such wonderful kind words on my recipes, you are the best!

I want all of those desserts, such fun uses of ice cream! Love the summer photos, glad you are having such a great time!

I love your non-traditional ice cream desserts, Jenny! Although I’ve got to admit, this week I’m enjoying my ice cream cold and in a bowl in an effort to stay cool!

Katrina says:

Everything looks so yummy! Awesome ideas.

These recipes are simply too much to handle right now before eating breakfast! YUM. Enjoy the time with your boys!

I love the pictures! You have such a lovely family.

And these desserts — wow. I love the idea of adding ice cream to cookies!

Mandy says:

LOVE the Ice cream Sundae Brownies, I made a batch every week last summer when I was preg with my twins, I couldn’t get enough of them! I’m going to have to try the others! Thanks for being such a dessert genius, you’re my hero!

Where’s my drool bucket?

Looks like you’re having a picture perfect summer. (I did NOT mean that to be as corny as it came out!)

Becca says:

How do you stay so thin and gorgeous looking with all these decadent ideas?? I am going to have to stay away from your page, cause I don’t have your metabolism…

this is evil… now it’s not even 10 a.m. and all I want to do is sit down with a carton of ice cream and make these desserts!

Fabulous post :) I didnt realise you could use ice cream in such delicious ways!

Bonnie says:

Of course we all know that there’s no way excess ice cream can do anything but make a dessert even better…but I’m just wondering if you could tell me one of the differences I would notice by incorporating ice cream into these lovely chocolate chip cookies! Thanks!

Bindi says:

Hey your recipes are always sch great lookers!! These are soo mouth watering..can’t wait to try these soon!!

– Bindi

Jorge says:

I love following you on instagram girl! You are always posting such fun photos. P.S. Could your family be any more blonde and adorable? ;-)

Jay says:

wat a fantastic post..
    chanced upon ur space while blog hopping..
    very interesting space you have..
    Am your happy subscriber now…:)
    do stop by mine sometime..
    Tasty Appetite

Ice cream is the perfect summer dessert. Love your ideas!

Tracy says:

Love all of these! I’m definitely craving ice cream right now!

Stacey says:

I thought I was being creative by using pudding mix. Can’t wait to add ice cream (love the Cherries Garcia/brownie combo idea).
    BTW… LOVE Instagram!!

JulieS says:

So jealous – my chocolate shavings never look that good! Can’t wait to try out some of these recipes! (I’m an Instagram adict, too!)

Kim says:

Such a fun post sis! I love all the summer pictures! Can’t wait to see you again in about a week!!!! Thanks for the shout too :) Love you!!

Brenda says:

The brownies look amazing! Can’t wait to try these out!

Beth says:

Just wanted to tell you that I enjoy your recipes. These ice cream treats look really good. Can’t wait to try them.

[...] Picky Palate-You Scream I Scream We All Scream For Ice Cream…in our desserts! [...]

These look so good! I can’t wait to try these!!

Libby says:

I don’t blame you. Let me know when you are here next. We will plan a little girlie reunion.

Great roundup! I can’t wait to try those brownies!

Krissy says:

I will take anything with ice cream, I can’t wait to try these. I, like you, have a sister who was born when I was going into my senior year of high school. It was quite the shocker ;) She will be 11 soon!