Jan
2012

Frozen Hot Chocolate, Serendipity Style!

Tags: , ,

Desserts

A few weeks ago I was in NYC for literally less than 24 hours and one of the only things I was able to squeeze in other than what I was there for was a visit to Serendipity for one of my favorite treats…..the Frozen Hot Chocolate.  It is massive, chocolaty and perfectly ice-y.

When I got back home I told the boys all about the treat I had and said I would re-create our own version!  So…..I got to work :)

Here is your line up.  Please add one more hot chocolate to the picture.  I ended up using 5 packets.  Use your favorite brand of hot chocolate mix.  I used the Trader Joe’s brand of cocoa.  This literally takes 5 minutes to make, not kidding.

I had my little guy hop on the counter and help whip the cream and sugar.   Whip it until perfectly creamy.

Like so :)

Let’s start with the milk.  Pour it right into the blender.  PS…..LOVE my Blendtec!

Cocoa time!

Give it a good blend!

Add the ice and crush it up!

I found the perfect consistency and was in love :)

See those little ice crystals?!  Those are the best part.

Time for the sweet cream and chocolate!

I used mini chocolate chips, but you can used shaved chocolate that looks more authentic to the original :)

Ahhhh, wait until you try this!  Love!

A few boys I know enjoyed the treat :)

It was so fun bringing a little bit of NYC to my stinkers :)

Frozen Hot Chocolate, Serendipity Style

2 cups whole milk

Five 1.25 ounce packets of Hot Chocolate mix

4 cups ice

1 cup heavy cream

2 tablespoons granulated sugar

1/4 cup mini chocolate chips or grated chocolate

1. Place milk into blender. Add hot chocolate packets and blend until combined. Add ice and blend until ice is blended into tiny chunks. Pour evenly into 4 glasses on top of plates to catch any dripping frozen hot chocolate.

2. Whip cream and sugar until whipped cream. Top each glass with whipped cream and sprinkle with mini chocolate chips.

Makes 4 servings

Comments

Kathryn says:

I saw your pictures on instagram and it looked amazing so I’m very glad you’ve shared the recipe! I can’t wait to try it myself.

Oh. My. Goodness. Jenny, you are my hero. I’ve never been to Serendipity, but now I don’t have to! :-) Thank you for an amazing recipe!!!

i’ve never been to NYC but have always dreamed of serendipity. LOVE this frozen hot chocolate!

I have lived in NYC for almost 6 years and never been to Serendipity… tragic, I know. However, I have the Serendipity sundae cookbook and love it:-)

Now that’s a group of happy boys. And who can blame them? This frozen hot chocolate looks to-die-for.

Benthe says:

Your boys are all cute, together like this :) I HAVE to make this, it looks so good.

Sibylle says:

This surely looks yoummy!!!

Your hubby probably complains about the same thing mine does, “How am I suppose to stay thin with all of these desserts you are making all the time!?” LoL!! Looks so stinking yummy!

kelley says:

I especially love the pictures of the boys! My husband and I always try to go when we’re in NY. What a fun thing to make and enjoy as a family!

I was hoping we’d see this! After the photo on Pinterest, you’ve had me wanting one of these!!

Cassie says:

Jenny, these are beautiful. Fun way for the kids to help in the kitchen too. This sounds delicious!

You did it!!!!! That’s so awesome. Looks just like the real deal. And much cheaper too :)

I love Serendipity! This looks delicious..and judging by your guys pictures,it IS! Thanks Picky Palate :)

WE had these when we were at the Vegas location and they were great… not sure why I didn’t think to make them at home… your’s look even better and your boys are adorable!

Lea says:

I could kill for one of those about now – it’s 11.40pm and still about 30C! One of those little chocolatey dreams would hit the spot I reckon.

thanks for sharing. I’m going to buy the ingredients first thing tomorrow, and hope it makes it easier to get through another scorching day :D

That drink is heavenly isn’t it? I live not even an hour outside NYC and have only had it once unfortunately. Now I can make my own :)

Lynne Laino says:

I need to make this NOW! Your boys are so adorable! As usual, your photos are terrific!

janetha says:

I was waiting for this ever since you put it on Instagram! WOW, can’t wait to make it :)

Julia says:

The one time I was in NYC I didn’t get to try this b/c the line was so long. Sad :( But, glad I can at least make one at home now! LOVE your red blendtec too!

Kathy says:

Love the recipe and looks so easy! Will be making for sure. Thanks for sharing.

Zee says:

Wow! This is droolicious! I am lovin’ it

Megan B. says:

Thanks for the recipe! It looks so good. Do you know how many scoops of hot chocolate powder I would use instead of the packets? I have some Stephens hot cocoa canisters, but no packets.

I’ve seen other recipes from frozen hot chocolate, both white and dark, and every time I see it..I want it! Just last night I was drinking hot, hot-chocolate…when it gets a little warmer, I need to try your cold version!

Thesha says:

Oh my goodness! This looks so delicious.

Megan B says:

Yum. And thank you for making your own whipped cream. I grew up going to the real Serendipity in NYC and have such vivid memories of the frozen hot chocolate with the homemade whipped cream. I went to the one in Vegas last year hoping to recreate those memories and they used Reddi-Wip from a can. It just wasn’t the same…

Janie says:

Looks good to me! My guys will Love it! Thanks for posting it..

This frozen treat looks absolutely fantastic. Thank you for re-creating and sharing this yummy recipe.

I will be making this and soon!

That looks so good. Can’t wait to try it. Love the photos of your boys!

Justine says:

This is the first blog I’ve seen of yours, but I’ll definitely be back–I thought my family was the only that used the term “stinker” :D anyways, looks delish, love how you write, and happy new year!

I have not been to NYC (yet) but I know all about Serendipity, thanks partly to the movie. LOVE the movie! It looks like you did an amazing job of recreating it!

I live in NYC but never seem to make it over to Serendipity. thanks for sharing this. My kids are going to think I am the best mom ever. Does it matter what kind of hot chocolate mix you use?

Love, love LOVE Serendipty frozen hot chocolate! Thank you for posting a recipe. My family will love this!

Leah says:

I have dreamed about Serendipity’s frozen hot chocolate. I am so happy you posted this. We are eating it right now and it’s heavenly!

[...] from: Picky Palate . The minor change I made was using melted chocolate as well as the hot chocolate [...]

Memoria says:

Ooo, the next time I make homemade hot chocolate mix, I’m going to try this out. It looks fantastic!!!

[...] I’ve been to NYC tons of times, but I’ve yet to try the infamous frozen hot chocolate at Serendipity 3. Fortunately, I can now make my own. [...]

Jennifer | Mother Thyme says:

I will be whipping this up this weekend! Fabulous recipe. Can’t wait to try!

[...] Frozen Hot Chocolate. Saving this recipe for the summer. : [...]

Hannah says:

I’m putting this on my summer to-do list. This will be the ultimate way to enjoy hot chocolate in hot weather!

Erin says:

Funny story…I decided I wanted to try your last recipe with the giant Hershey kiss. Note to self: READ the recipe before buying ingredients. I bought 1 GIANT HERSHEY KISS, meaning the 7 oz because that’s what I thought yours looked like in the picture. I’m considering trying the recipe on one GIANT cookie :)

leslie says:

Mmm. I have never been to Serendipity..heard all about it though. These little frozen Hot Chocolates sound amazing!

OLGA LOPEZ says:

this is amazing I never saw this before looks so so good.
    Regards
    olga.

[...] Frozen Hot Chocolate, Serendipity Style (Picky Palate) I’ve never had the famed frozen hot chocolate at Serendipity in NYC, but I hear glorious things about it. Since hot chocolate is one of my favorite cold-weather drinks, I can’t wait to try this! [...]

willetjk says:

It’s backward day at our house this weekend – and we started off the morning with this delicious chocolate treat! Hopefully this will get the boys basketball mojo going today! Yum! Need to find this place called Trader Joe’s that I hear so much about – none in our area. Tonight – Mozzarella stuffed meatballs! Thanks again for sharing!

Marty says:

This sounds absolutely delicious! I made Kahlua whipped cream yesterday and have a bit left, would be perfect to spoon right on top of this cold hot chocolate treat. Thanks!