Feb
2012

5 Minute Homemade Mac and Cheese

Tags: , , ,

Dinner

Last week was raining and I knew just what I wanted to whip up for dinner….a quick and easy homemade mac and cheese.

Who needs a box mix when you can have homemade mac in 5 minutes?!  I will say, that I had cooked pasta in my fridge from a previous dinner, so make sure you cook some extra pasta to have ready for this recipe.

This is too easy to not try for yourself, give it a go and let me know if you love it as much as we do!!

Can you even handle all of the ingredients you need?  I don’t know if I can.

Pour in your cheese pleeeease.

Add your milk.  I used whole milk here.

Every last drop!

Add some salt.

….and freshly ground black pepper.

Grab a spoon and stir it all together.

Cover loosely with plastic wrap and microwave for 3 minutes.  Stir and microwave for an additional 2 minutes.

Stir until creamy dreamy smooth.

Oh yah!!

Dig in!

5 Minute Homemade Mac and Cheese

1/2 pound cooked pasta of choice (we used small shells)

2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

1 cup whole milk

3/4 teaspoon kosher salt

1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1. Place pasta, cheese, milk, salt and pepper into a microwave safe bowl. Stir to mix. Cover lightly with plastic wrap and microwave for 3 minutes. Stir and microwave for an additional 2 minutes. Stir until creamy and smooth. Serve immediately.

Makes 4 servings

___________________________________

Have a great day!  Come back soon :)

Comments

mrsblocko says:

I made this and posted about it here. I used skim milk and it turned out fine. It is stringier than the “blue box” but I wanna know why that is a bad thing!

I’ve had this for lunch way too often. I really wish it wasn’t so easy. But it’s healthy right? Cause it’s chalk full of calcium. ;)

Marina says:

My little ones LOVE Mac&Cheese. Delicious and the perfect recipe for a quick lunch or a quick side dish for dinner. Thanks!

Caitlin says:

I just tried to make this, and it is definitely NOT as creamy as yours! Do you think it is because I didn’t use leftover pasta but made the pasta specifically for this? Thanks!

Andrea says:

I just made this for lunch and the cheese was lumpy :( I used a block of cheese and shredded it myself. I did add flour to the chese like someone else posted and whole milk. Maybe next time I’ll use the pre shredded kind.

June says:

I AM SO MAKING THIS RECIPE RIGHT NOW IT LOOKS SO EASY
    IM 19 WEEKS PREGNANT AND MY BF HAD KRAFT DINNER HE ISNT
    LIVING WITH ME RIGHT NOW HES WORKING OUT OF TOWN..AND WE ARE
    ON SYPE TOGETHER ANYWAYS LONG STORY SHORT IS THAT I WANTED TO MAKE
    SOME HOMADE….AND THIS IS THE EASIEST RECIPE EVA LOOKS SO YUMMY WITH
    THE SHELLS LIKE VELVETA ! OMG I NEED TO BUY SOME , LOL THANKS XO

Michelle says:

This recipe calls for 1/2 lb of cooked pasta, what measurement would that be in dry pasta? I would need to cook the pasta, but want to know how much to cook. Thank you!

Kerry B says:

This worked for me, but was a bit bland. i’ll be adding american in next time to see if it helps make it a bit creamier and a bit tastier!

Jessica says:

If there is no flour in this recipe then what is in that picture with the tablespoon? It even looks like flour sitting on top of the cheese in the next picture with pepper on top of it. I am so confused.

Beth says:

Was so excited to try this, but it didnt work for me, it was clumpy and seemed like there was too much milk. I uswd whole milk and 2% cheese, should i have used regular cheese. Love picky palate, thank you!!

[...] this with Picky Palate’s 5 Minute Homemade Mac and Cheese for a 5 Minute [...]

JoAnna says:

Just made this, but with elbow macaroni and a “pizza blend” cheese (cheddar + mozzarella). DELISH!!! Have pinned this recipe to my Pinterest board and will def. recommend. Thanks so much!

radha says:

Thanks for a simple recipe which turned out great!

I’m a mac and cheese “junkie”! oh my gosh! I’m sure I will making this soon

Laura says:

This is a great easy recipe with no artificial ingredients. My children loved it!

Kristy Shorr says:

Here is how mine turned out! Definitely LOVE the idea of not using that powdered stuff.

george simmons says:

what is the recipe as 1 serving

[...] as I expected, but still really good. I’d definitely make it again. 37. 5 Minute Homemade Mac and Cheese: Definitely quick. Definitely easy. Not my favorite. I’ll keep looking for a tried and true [...]

[...] Well, the name says it all right?  The key to this recipe is do not alter the recipe.  You need milk with fat and good shredded cheese.  Serve with some grilled chicken and vegetables and you are good to go.  5 Minute Homemade Mac and Cheese [...]

LayraS says:

This isn’t really a 5 minute Mac n cheese if the noodles need to be precooked! More like 20 minute stovetop/microwave man n cheese! ;)

Wayne Rooney says:

I know im a football player and need to be healthy… but this is a lovely dish and now i have it at least 2 times a week my wife and i enjoy it, its better than going out for a meal

[...] children and husband enjoyed this recipe last night…5 Minute Mac and Cheese from the Picky Palate. Easy and yummy. This entry was posted in Food Waste Friday and [...]

[...] definitely make this again. 39. Ghostly Peeps Brownie Smores 38. Pumpkin Cream Cheese Icing 37. 5 Minute Homemade Mac and Cheese 36. Melt in Your Mouth Chicken 35. Chick-fil-A Sauce 34. Chick-fil-A Nuggets *33. Halloween [...]

Alicia says:

I tried this recipe tonight… Personally I didn’t think it was very tasty. My husband didn’t mind it, but it didn’t taste like very much to me and was sort of gritty. I even made it on the stove top, added extra cheese, and after combining them, put it in the oven to set with more cheese on top. I would change the recipe or find a different one if making it again.

[...] Pumpkin Pancakes 40. Lasagna 39. Ghostly Peeps Brownie Smores 38. Pumpkin Cream Cheese Icing 37. 5 Minute Homemade Mac and Cheese 36. Melt in Your Mouth Chicken 35. Chick-fil-A Sauce 34. Chick-fil-A Nuggets *33. Halloween [...]

Brianna says:

I’m 11 and I find that this would be a very easy recipe for me to make home alone! But can I use 1% low fat milk?

[...] knowing what quantities to use is a good thing.  So I’m planning to try this recipe for homemade mac and cheese.  If you already have cooked pasta, it takes 5 minutes–you just stir the ingredients [...]

[...] Recipe from: picky-palate.com [...]

Adrina says:

So easy. I was surprised that it turned out so good. I’m a firm believer in making a roux, but I was sick and not feeling up to cooking. Thanks for posting.

Holly says:

(my website is still a work in progress…I only have 3 pages published at the moment, but hope to have much of the rest up within a week or two.

I was in dire striaghts that we ran out of the boxed mac and cheese, which is what he wanted me to make lightly blended with a small amount of hamburger meat. Well, to no avial, we were out. But, I did have your ingredients and gave it a shot! Perfect! I used 2.5 cups of macaroni, 2 cups of the cheese and all like you said in the recipie! Followed your instructions…and it was really quick and easy. Only took 5 minutes (with exception cooking the macaroni for 11 min)…but we all know that doesn’t count…you just put it in and let it boil!

AWESOME and your online recipie saved the day!
    Thank you so much for posting this!
    Sincerely,
    Holly

Christy says:

I made this last Sunday. It was very easy. I did it on the stove top instead of the microwave, and it worked well. The only problem I had was I made it as a side, and I made it before the main course was done….so by the time I served dinner it wasn’t as creamy and yummy as it was when it was first ready. My fail. I’ll make it again though. Thank you for sharing the recipe!

teachermrw says:

I used bag cheese – Sargento extra sharp cheddar. I also enhanced the recipe a bit by substituting Carnation Evaporated Milk, and addd some dry mustard, unsalted butter, and a bit of flour. However, I am convinced that mac and cheese is creamier when one grates her own cheese. I find Cracker Barrel Extra Sharp Cheddar to be the best for making mac and cheese.

[...] Microwavable Mac and Cheese Packets:  (try it using whole wheat noodles, skim milk, and low fat cheese) http://picky-palate.com/2012/02/20/5-minute-homemade-mac-and-cheese/ [...]

[...] it, so I googled a recipe for the Microwave. Obviously this recipe isn’t my own, it’s a 5 Minute Homemade Mac and Cheese recipe from Picky Palate. And I am IN LOVE with it. As a matter of fact, I literally ate it just a second ago and am [...]

Emily says:

Let me just say, this satisfied my craving 100% I had a bunch of extra noodles laying about and some extra shredded cheese. Did it as followed and it turned out lovely! I added some panko bread crumbs and nomnomnom. Def keeping in rotation!

jack russel says:

Bloodly Brillant!

[...]  5 Minute Homemade Mac and Cheese ~ A simple rich and creamy macaroni and cheese recipe with Cheddar and whole [...]

Jen says:

I followed exactly and it’s the worst Mac and cheese I’ve ever made. It’s clumpy and liquidy. I shredded cheese from a block. Does that make a difference?

Maggie says:

Wow this looks really great? Have you tried it scaled down to one person?

michelle says:

I tried it but it didn’t get creamy for me. it was a bit chunky and I stirred it plenty. I used one cup of pasta and one cup of cheese and half cup of milk. :(

Brittany says:

Just tried this and it did NOT work :(
    I was really bummed and my son was too.
    I did everything the same. Didnt change one thing so I have no clue what happened.

liz says:

this has to be a joke…… that is not how you make it im sorry.

Amarachel says:

Thanks for the recipe! Seems really yummy and so quick… I’ll be trying it soon.

Brian says:

I’m a special ed teacher who works with the 18-22 year old developmentally disabled population. I’m periodically looking for VERY SIMPLE meals that my students can learn to make for themselves, independently. Thank you for this simple dish with pictures and step included. I have to provide picture schedules as step by step instructions for students that cannot read. I’ll be looking at your site more often for other “simple” recipes that my students can do on their own! Again, thank you.

Bella says:

I personally loved this recipe, but the kids I was babysitting said it was a little salty, so don’t overkill! I love the microwaving idea though!

Wyoming Cowboy says:

Not so great, mostly runny

[…] food, try some dishes like homemade versions of homemade hamburger helper, Rice-a-Roni, and mac-n-cheese. We started out this way several years ago when we began eating only “real” food. […]

MacKenzie L says:

you just saved my husbands life im 4 months pregnant and craving some real mac and cheese really bad but all the other recipies take like an hour to make ohh yay microwave beeper went off time to eat!!!

Emily says:

My mother was sleeping and I was trying to look up easy resipies when this one caught my eye…. And it seems like my type of easy meal hope it works, thanks!

anonymous says:

Looks delicous
    I used skim milk and it didnt turn out as well

Anna says: