Don't miss a single recipe from Picky Palate: sign up for my weekly newsletter

Apr
2012

Gruyere and Ham Mac and Cheese Pot Pies

Tags: , , ,

Dinner

I am awfully excited to share this recipe with you today!  I received some beautiful cheeses from Emmi a couple days ago and I knew just what I was going to do…..make mac and cheese.

I added some pan fried ham pieces and once I was just about done I thought…..”I am sooo making these into little individual pot pies!”  So glad I did, they are buttery, flaky and perfectly mac and cheesy.  Hope you enjoy!!

Here’s that gorgeous cheese I used.  Feel free to substitute your favorite cheese if you’d like.

Let’s start the simple roux.  Melt a sick uh buttah please :)

You are going to whisk in 1/2 cup flour and some salt and pepper to the butter.

Up next, whisk in your milk.  I happened to use half and half.  Yikes, I know!  Whole milk also works great or any milk your family has on hand.

Once your cream mixture is hot and thickened add your beautiful cheese, stirring to melt.

Add that cooked pasta.

Give her a nice stir.

I added a couple handfuls of some left over chopped ham.  Add whatever meat you’d like.  Chicken or beef would also be lovely.

Can’t you practically smell it?! Mmm.

Give her another nice stir, taste and season with a few more sprinkles of salt and pepper if needed.  Please note, you can totally stop the recipe here and enjoy in some bowls.  Or……see what I did below :)

Divide your mac into some individual ramekins.

Top with more cheese and top with a cut round of puff pastry!  Oh yah :)

Now we’re talking.  Hope you enjoy!!

Gruyere and Ham Mac and Cheese Pot Pies

1 pound elbow pasta

1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter

1/2 cup all purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

3 cups half and half or whole milk

3 cups shredded gruyere cheese, plus 1 1/2 cups for topping

3 cups diced cooked ham

4 sheets puff pastry, room temperature (2 boxes)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and lightly spray eight 2 cup ramekins with non stick cooking spray.

2. Cook pasta according to package directions. Run under cool water to stop cooking.

3. Melt butter in large Dutch oven or pot over medium heat. Whisk in flour, salt and pepper. Cook and whisk for 1 minute. Slowly drizzle in half and half whisking constantly. Whisk until thickened and hot, about 3-5 minutes. Stir in 3 cups gruyere cheese and cooked pasta.

4. Heat cooked cubed ham pieces in a large skillet to brown slightly. Add to mac and cheese, stir, taste and season accordingly with additional salt and pepper. Divide mac between prepared ramekins. Top each ramekin with additional gruyere cheese then a round piece of pastry that has been cut to fit your ramekin. Bake for about 30 minutes, until pastry is golden brown. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving. Best served immediately.

Makes 8 servings

Note: This dish can be made without the puff pastry and without baking if desired. Once ham is added to the mac and cheese you can just serve after this step :)

_________________________________

Have a great day!  Come back soon :)

Comments

j3nn says:

Oh my GOODNESS! That looks amazing!! The flavors and texture… perfect. Yum! I think this could go on my “last meals” on Earth list. It has everything I enjoy in a decadent meal. :)

Love the flaky tops to these cute little pot pies!

Kathryn says:

I love gruyere especially in a mac and cheese!

Mac and Cheese POT PIES? These are basically a dream come true.

these are so cute!! gruyere cheese in mac and cheese is one of the BEST cheeses to use! i love that you made a little pie with it and had ham in it. such a great savory dish :)

*faint*

Seriously, there are no words.

Looks amazing, can not wait to try this!!

Great comfort food Jenny!

Cait's Plate says:

Oh my goodness. That is just heaven in a bowl right there…

Bakeaholic says:

Wow! Comfort food at it’s finest. These truly look decadent and delicious. Thanks for the idea!

Cassie says:

This looks dreamy, Jenny! I’m sold on the gruyere. Love this!

Anything with Mac cheese in its title has my vote :)
    Great recipe, yum!

What an incredible recipe! Who’d have thought of mac and cheese in a pot pie, but it soooo works. Definitely on my to-try list.

teresa says:

Nothing like a pot pie Jenny!
    That cheese reminds me of Switzerland!
    xo

Lauren says:

Mac and cheese turned into a pot pie? Excuse me while I faint.

Yum to the ee. I pinned it to my MMMMM board!

What a great idea for easter leftovers too. This has to be so delicious!

Young Wifey says:

I have been craving ham pot pie recently, and with gruyere? I’m sold! looks fantastic!!

This looks like a little piece of heaven…great comfort food!

What a fun idea for leftover Easter ham! Love this. It looks so delicious!

Can I come live at your house please? YUM!

I have never seen mac n cheese put into a pot pie, but I honestly don’t know why since it’s a FABULOUS idea! Great job with the recipe Jenny, I’m sure it was a hit with the family.

I’m drooling Jenny! Now I want this pot pie for dinner!

Sherry D. says:

I loved this idea so much…I made it! Delish!!!!

Chels R. says:

I skipped lunch and I’m drooling over this concoction! Oh man! Looks incredible!

Melissa says:

This looks great! A deadly combination, no doubt, but likely a delicious one as well!

Love how you’ve taken an ordinary dish and dolled it up. Clever girl!

Casey says:

holy comfort food!! Yumm, this sounds delicious :)

Whoa, Jenny! This looks like the ultimate comfort food! And I looooove gruyere! Adding these to my must-make list!

oh my yum! Wishing I had leftover Easter ham for this one!!

That is a perfect “what the heck am I going to do with all this ham” situation that I’m facing now. I am going to have to give this a whirl!

I would never have thought to put pasta inside a pot pie. I should have, though, because it is such a great idea! My family would love this one.

Beautiful pot pies, with pasta inside … who know. Such a great idea, and the puff pastry cap is perfection. Thanks for sharing.
    ~Caroline

Cindy @ Once Upon a Loaf says:

So creative! I just got som Gruyere for something else but it can wait! Can’t wait to try this!

Comfort food of the yummy sort! This looks so good..I could use a dish of this now! I had pizza rolls & a grapefruit for dinner tonight!

Love Gruyere cheese!! These pot pies sound great ~ would love one for a bedtime snack right about now!

Jenna Jameson says:

Made this the other night for my boyfriend… BLEW HIS MIND!!!! This was decadent.

kita says:

Oh my goodness I could indulge on some serious macaroni and cheese like this. Love the addition of the ham pieces and the puff pastry on top! Perfect comfort food kind of meal.

Jenny, I picked up a few things at the store today and had at it. O.M.GEE. It’s in the oven right now but I can tell you, this is going to be the most amazing mac n cheese dish I’ve ever made. I got some Kerrygold sharp cheddar and some Valaaska (a bit sweeter and very creamy when it melts) and threw in some reg. shredded sharp cheddar. Substituted turkey bacon for ham in the mac, and baked it in a large Corningware oval with an entire sheet of pastry cut to fit over top, as somehow I’ve misplaced my fourth large ramekin.

Can’t wait to dig in!! Thanks again!

Simone says:

What do you set the oven at to bake it?

What a fun idea…my family would just love this!

Natalie says:

I made a couple sheets of puff pastry over Christmas and I have been waiting to use it. Have you ever made it from scratch? It is a process! Anyways, I think I might have to try this.

[...] Other recipes you may enjoy… Have a great day! Come back soon _________________________________ Note: This dish can be made without the puff pastry and without baking if desired. Gruyere and Ham Mac and Cheese Pot Pies | Picky Palate [...]

Kathy says:

I loved your mac & Cheese post so I linked it to my site with a link back to your site if you don’t mind you are my first link so would you Mind looking at it and make sure I did everything right. Thank you so much.

[...] Gruyere and Ham Mac and Cheese via Picky Palate [...]

Meghan O'Brien says:

Made this last night. It was fantastic!

The ac n cheese sounds amazing by itself but then topping it with puff pastry! Wow!

[...] This Gruyere and Ham Mac and Cheese Pot Pie comes from Picky Palate uses pasta, flour,milk, cheese, ham and puffs pastry (the crust). Bake for 30 minutes. [...]