Don't miss a single recipe from Picky Palate: sign up for my weekly newsletter

Jul
2012

Apples and Spice Cinnamon Bread Pudding

Tags: , ,

Desserts

Hope everyone had a fun 4th of July yesterday and lots of finger lickin’ BBQ :)

I had so much fun creating this decadent brunch/dessert with the boys last week.   I had a major craving for a custard-y bread pudding and this hit the spot with sauteed apples and cinnamon mixed in.

You are going to love this one.  Enjoy!

Start with some thick cinnamon bread.  Most grocery stores have a nice selection.  Brioche or croissants would be fabulous too.

Cube your bread slices to get them ready for the ramekins.

There we go.  Divide the cubed bread between your 4 ramekins.

My sweet helpers anxious to eat :)  Whisk those eggs to start.

Add your brown sugar, cinnamon and vanilla.

Cube a nice apple and keep those little fingers from eating them all :)

Time to saute!

Let them sizzle in a little butter.

Add some brown sugar and cinnamon.  Wait until you smell this!

A little skillet of heaven.

Pour that mixture into your egg and cream mix, drippings and all.

Mmm, now give it a good stir.

Divide that heavenly custard into your ramekins please :)

Ahhh, almost ready for the oven.

A little brown sugar on top!

Time for the oven, bake for 30-35 minutes until puffed and cooked through.

Dust with some powdered sugar and grab a fork asap!

Well, pour some syrup over first if you are enjoying for breakfast, then dig in!

Apples and Spice Cinnamon Bread Pudding

4 slices cinnamon bread

4 large eggs

1 cup heavy cream

1/2 cup loosely packed light brown sugar

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

2 tablespoons butter

1 large apple, cored, peeled and cubed into 1/2 inch pieces

2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

4 tablespoons packed light brown sugar for sprinkling on top

Powdered sugar for dusting

Pure maple syrup for drizzling (if desired)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and lightly spray four 2 cup ramekins with non stick cooking spray.

2. Cube bread into 1/2 inch pieces and divide evenly between ramekins.

3. Place eggs, cream, brown sugar, cinnamon and vanilla into a large bowl, whisk to combine. Place butter into a medium skillet over medium heat. Saute apples for 1 minute then add brown sugar and cinnamon. Cook and stir for another minute. Transfer apples and drippings into cream mixture then divide between ramekins over bread. Top with 1 tablespoon brown sugar on top then bake for 30-35 minutes, until puffed and cooked through. Remove and dust with powdered sugar and drizzle with just a touch of pure maple syrup if desired.

Makes 4 servings

Comments

I love bread pudding…it’s such a rich and satisfying dessert…It just makes me feel warm and cozy :) And with the apples & cinnamon…bet your house smelled amazing!

Kathryn says:

This is just right for the grey and rainy days we’ve been having in England. It looks great Jenny!

Caley says:

So pretty, as always! It’s too hot around here to think about a warm dessert or breakfast, but maybe with ice cream… ;)

I’ve been waaaaaiting for you to post this recipe, for daaaays I tell you!!!
    It’s going to be our pre-vacation breakfast on Sunday morning!!

I can smell those apples and cinnamon from here. Your boys are adorable, mine also love to help in the kitchen. This looks like a Sunday morning menu item for us!

I always found bread pudding to be rather strange, but I like the idea of using cinnamon bread! This comes out like a kind of cakey apple crisp. Awesome!

I love that you used cinnamon bread. Looks delish!

JulieD says:

This looks so good, reminds me of a cinnamon bread pudding I had a restaurant once…it was amazing. I love your addition of apples!! xoxo Jenny! I hope you’re doing well!

Oh man! That looks finger-licking good for sure! Im craving this for breakfast now :)

Yum! That looks delicious. And a great change of pace after all that barbecue we had yesterday :-)

Beautiful pictures! Hey, look Mom, no front teeth – your kids are so cute. Good to see them helping in the kitchen. Start now and they’ll be cooking for you soon.

Keep writing…

I totally love this idea! So delicious looking!

Lauren says:

Looks delish!! Love your little rascals too :)

marla says:

Love seeing your sweet boys in the kitchen & this bread pudding makes me crave the flavors of fall!

Kim says:

I get your em

Love seeing these pics of you and your boys cooking! How sweet and what special memories you are making. Oh and this bread pudding looks amazing and has me wishing it was fall!

aileen says:

Yumm!! love apples and cinnamon!!

Kristen says:

Your boys are too darn cute and this recipe looks too darn good!

Patty Hasbargen says:

Iced latte’s are my favorite blender treats

Chels R. says:

I wish you knew how much I love Bread Pudding!!!

WOW. This is my idea of the breakfast that will be served in heaven. :) I think I’ll be making this a lot, especially this fall!

I love how easy this looks! I appreciate brunch foods that don’t take all day before the brunch to prepare and could actually be made the morning of!

This sounds like something I’d love!

Looks fabulous,darling! Your boys are beautiful! I wish I lived closer to you so we could bake together. Miss you already.
    Sending hugs.
    Muah.
    xox

Paige says:

I love that your boys help so much! I’m a firm believer in letting kids help out in the kitchen, especially boys so their future wives will love their mother in law ;)

[...] I got it from Picky Palate: http://picky-palate.com/2012/07/05/apples-and-spice-cinnamon-bread-pudding/ [...]

[...] 12 – Apple Oatmeal Cookies with Brown Butter Frosting from Lauren’s Latest 13 – Apples and Spice Cinnamon Bread Pudding from Picky Palate 14 – Apple Cider Muffins from Rachel Cooks 15 – Vanilla Bean Apple [...]

Coll w says:

How would this change if I were to need this for a lot more people, like 11, but don’t have more than 4 ramekins? Could I make this in one big casserole dish?

[...] Maybe you think that pudding and bread are such strangers that they can’t work nicely together. Let me tell the truth, it’s definitely an amazing idea to combine them together especially adding cakey apple crisp and cinnamon. What else can I say except freaking awesome! I bet you can smell those pleasant flavors of cinnamon and apples from the picture. You are going to love this one because of its gorgeous looking, easy making and wonderful tasting. It’s more than an ordinary dessert. If you have little time to prepare your breakfast, try this one, it will satisfy all your requirements perfectly. At picky-palate.com [...]

Colleen says:

I’m away from home temporarily and would really like to make these, what could I use instead of ramekins because I don’t have bakeware here? Something I could throw away later would be ideal. Could I make this as one big cake type thing?