This irresistible berry crumble was inspired by this gorgeous Fall 2012 Chenille bag below…. the Petunia Pickle Bottoms Elderberry Boxy Backpack. The folks at Petunia Pickle Bottoms are offering one of their new bags to a Picky Palate reader! How fun is that? See below the recipe on how to enter.
Here are some great features of the Elderberry Boxy Backpack:
- Iceberg blue and light grey vining garden design. Iceberg blue water-resistant linging and straps.
- New Whisper-quiet magnetic closure for access to the main compartment and changing station anytime, plus discreet snaps with finger tabs for easy added security with just one hand
- New premium metal logo plate on front
- Color-coordinated hands-free backpack straps or long messenger strap with chrome trigger snap hooks
- Built-in zip-out changing station with detachable changing pad
- 2 large internal diaper/wipes pockets
- 1 zippered and 2 open internal organizational pockets
- Easy reach interior pacifier pocket and “No more digging” key clip
- 4 bottle pockets (2 interior, 2 exterior)
- PPB-monogrammed plastic wipes case
I LOVE using my cast iron skillet….for recipes of all kinds sweet and savory. It certainly makes a rustic and beautiful berry crumble that I have shared with you today. I like to describe this dessert as family style where everyone grabs a spoon and digs in together. More fun that way. It’s great for a special family night or Sunday dinner dessert….and it’s done in about 30 minutes, woohoo!
I love seeing the berry filling ooze out of the buttery crumble topping. I’m salivating just thinking about it!
Once that crumble is out of the oven, let it cool for 10 minutes then top it with your favorite vanilla ice cream and dig in with your favorite people 🙂
Skillet Berry Crumble
- 12 ounces frozen or fresh blueberries (if you have fresh or frozen elderberries, those would be great)
- 2 tablesoons corn starch
- 2 tablepoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup all purpose Gold Medal Flour
- 3/4 cups packed light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) cold unsalted butter, cubed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place blueberries, corn starch, lemon juice and sugar into a 9 inch cast iron skillet over medium heat, stirring to combine. Stir and cook until bubbly and thick, about 7 minutes. Turn heat off.
- To prepare crumb topping add flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt into a large mixing bowl, stir to combine. With a pastry cutter, cut in ice cold butter cubes until small pea size balls form. This takes a good constant 5 minutes of cutting butter into flour mixture. Pour crumb topping over blueberries and bake for 25-30 minutes, until blueberries are bubbling and crust is golden and firm to the touch. Remove and serve with warm with ice cream on top.
Makes 4-6 Servings
Here’s How To Enter The Giveaway:
1. Leave a comment here telling us: What is your favorite berry and who would get the bag if you win? A friend or you?!
For 5 additional entries:
4. Contest ends Sunday August 12, 2012 8pm PST. Winner will be chosen via Random.org and notified by email. Winner will have 48 hours to return my email to claim prize.