Aug
2012

What To Pack in Your Hospital Bag When Having a Baby

Baby |

Hi friends!  As most of you know I am due to have this baby any day now.  These last couple weeks are going miserably slow!!  While I feel like I have most of what I need packed in my hospital bag, I would love to hear from you to make sure I am not forgetting anything.  Thanks in advance!

PS…how cute is this Petunia Pickle Bottoms Weekender Diaper Bag?  I don’t see my exact print, but there’s lots of cute ones.  I am in love with it!

Here’s What I have packed so far:

• Change of Clothes for coming home
  • My Make-up bag
  • Toothbrush, toothpaste
  • Deodorant
  • Camera
  • An outfit for baby to come home in
  • Car Seat ready in car

What else might I need?

xoxo

Jenny

Comments

Debbie says:

Lotion – hospital air tends to be very dry – and cough drops – I got sick after delivering both of my boys – are a must for me. Good luck!

Carrie says:

2nd the lotion and add chapstick and a pair of super soft, fuzzy socks. I hope all goes well!

Rosie says:

Bathrobe, comfy clothes to wear at the hospital if the gown is uncomfortable, slippers/fuzzy socks, an extra pillow or two, shampoo & conditioner/other toiletries, Boppy/other breastfeeding pillow if you think you might need it… Good luck!

Becky B says:

I love that your list isn’t too long. You really don’t need a lot. The only other thing I’d say to bring is a nursing cover if you are expecting a lot of visitors.

Shampoo if they let you shower there…my hospital didn’t have any and washing my hair felt heavenly!

A pair of shorts to wear under your gown. They won’t really want you to do this right away, but the next day once they’re done checking you out, I loved that. Also made me feel more confident walking around on the floor and having visitors.

Warm socks for labor, hard candies to suck on, Hair ties to braid your hair, phone charger!

Nursing pillow! I was so glad I had mine while there. I also brought a nursing gown and nursing cover so when visitors came I wasn’t still in my hospital gown and could cover myself when needed.

Carley says:

Nursing tank tops and nursing cover

Oh yeah — a notepad or something to write on. I had my husband write down different events of the day so that I wouldn’t forget things. Like when I started dialating, what meds, when I started pushing, etc. It made it easier to tell the baby story later AND it gave him something to “own” and he didn’t feel so out of the whole proces.

TidyMom says:

suckers! I sucked on suckers when I couldn’t have anything to eat, it helped make my mouth not so dry!

So excited for you Jenny!

Heather says:

Don’t forget your phone charger!! You will be making lots of calls and texts! :)

Kristy says:

I always brought a couple of different ‘bottoms’ to an outfit, because you might be a couple of different sizes, you just don’t know. I also brought a few diapers and wipes that I like in case the hospital doesn’t use ones you like.

Lexie says:

With my first child I wore hospital gowns. For my second, I brought some comfy maternity clothes, and I felt 100 times better – like a normal human being. I didn’t have to worry about flashing guests when I moved. I brought pajamas and yoga pants – clothes that I didn’t mind washing (or tossing, if needed). But it really improved my mood, and I love the fact that I was wearing my favorite pink t-shirt in those hospital photos.

Stacy says:

I second all of Lexie’s suggestions—I bought a cute (but cheap) pj set at Target to wear so I’d not be in the “gown” and so I’d feel more dresses. I did this with all 3 of mine and the yoga pants thing is a must. No one knows what size they’ll be after the sweetie pie arrives.

ON a similar note, as soon as you can, take a shower. It is slightly embarassing b/c you’ll need someone to stand at the door with you, but honestly, it makes you feel so much better.

Good luck and congratulations!

Pauline Haden says:

Something safe to carry baby in as you leave hospital.

Sandy says:

Loose fitting PJ’s, Battery charger, an outfit for baby’s pictures, & the baby book (our nurses were great about getting the little foot print stamp in their books for us).

Robin Chesser says:

Snacks…you’re going to be starving.

Sheila says:

I just had my baby on the 23rd so this is really fresh in my mind. Definately lip balm, granola bars for snacking between meals (sometimes the hospital meals take a long time), honey sticks for energy during labor, and a nursing pillow if breast feeding. Good luck!

Robin Chesser says:

and if you have a dog, pack a blanket you can put in the baby’s bassinet so your husband can bring it home before you get there so the dog can become familar with the babys scent.

Rachelle says:

Chapstick, don’t really bother with your own clothes to wear while recovering, things are still kinda messy. Heck you know, you’ve got 2 boys, babies haven’t changed over the yrs. ;)

A pacifier for the baby. The hospitals that I delivered at here in San Diego do not provide them. Best of luck…such an exciting time!!!!

bonnie says:

It’s been way to long so I shall say. Congratulations.

Emily says:

the only things that i really used other then what you have listed were my comb and brush (i felt much more human with my hair done after 32 hours of labor) and a nursing bra because i quickly started soaking my gowns after my little sucker started nursing

Emily says:

Your own shampoo/shower stuff and possibly a nice towel. I know after delivering both my babies all I wanted was to clean all the crud off and my own shower stuff made a hospital shower much better than the standard 2 n 1 stuff that they gave you.

Stacy Stevens says:

Any toiletries that you can’t live without. Shampoo, conditioner, etc. Comfy clothes, snacks, and some form of entertainment (books, magazines, etc.). Good luck!!

Tracy says:

Slippers in case they have you walking the halls and back up batteries for the camera!

Kindra says:

Granny panties…that aren’t too tight but that you can use pads with and you don’t mind throwing away later. A pair of nursing jammies, more comfortable then the hospital gowns but still easy nurse in. I always liked my own clothes and lotion so my baby could smell my “smell” from the start. Your own pillow too.

Errin says:

These are things that I wish I had brought with me when I had my son last April:
    1. Mints – I was sick a few times and these would have helped me feel a little less gross
    2. Hair elastics and Headbands – Sweaty hair in your face doesn’t help any situation
    3. Food/Snacks – After labor it was like I hadn’t eaten in days, and the hospital was a little slow bringing the scheduled meals
    4. Comfortable clothing – I had to change a few times and it was nice to be in my own clothes

I hope this helps!

Cindy says:

Magazines and books. It kept my mind busy while in labor and afterward when I was itching to go home. A Bathrobe and warm socks. If you plan on walking around, buy some cheap fuzzy slippers to wear while you’re there, then throw them away when you leave. Hospital floors are icky LOL! Your favorite skin lotion and comfy PJ’s too :) Sneak in some snacks if you can…hospital food isn’t the best!

Yay for babies!

Cindy

Brenda McCracken says:

I packed most of the things mentioned as well as nursing bras,underwear and pads.

Jessica says:

I always brought a portable DVD player with a new movie to watch!

laura says:

SOCKS! If you have an epidural sometime you get uncontrollably cold. My last baby came very quickly an I had to beg my mother in law to bring me some socks because I was just so cold.

Cathy says:

I ended up having a c section and it was painful to move around too much, I brought face wipes to wash my face with and was so glad I did. And warm socks!! Good luck!

Ambrey says:

I just had my son 7 weeks ago and I would recommend a robe, some nursing tank tops, and phone/camera chargers.

Anne says:

A cute pillowcase for all those photos! Congrats and good luck!

I say bring some cozy slippers with rubber soles…in case you need to walk around.

Also, some type of lotion that smells good. Sometimes good lotion helps when you don’t feel so great.

Good luck and can’t wait to see the baby!!

Julie says:

Lip balm for sure! Best wishes for an easy delivery & a healthy baby!

natalie says:

Love Petunia Pickle Bottom- their bags are awesome! I use mine all the time! When I had my son someone suggested bringing a robe in, and it worked really well (a lightweight one, not the heavy terry cloth kind). I ended up with an emergency c-section and was glad that I packed yoga pants for the trip home! One thing that I ended up calling my sister to bring in for me was actually pads-the hospital ones were a lot bulkier than what I needed! Next time I’ll definitely remember to bring in some extra hair ties as well as some face wipes!

Kristy Fife says:

Hi Jenny! Can’t believe that you’re already at 9 months. I have 10 more weeks to go! :) Loved reading all the comments. Thanks for the post! I second soft socks, stretchy pants (pj type), a few magazines and your laptop (if safe in the room)!.

Lisa says:

Your own pillow and gown. And a boppy!

Melanie says:

Flip flops to wear in the shower & your own pillow with a brightly colored pillow case so it doesn’t get mixed up with the ones at the hospital.

Dee W says:

I second the shower shoes. I just CAN’T get in a foreign shower, even in a hotel, without something on my feet. :/

The Petunia Pickle Bottoms Weekender is adorable! I had a PPB bag and it was a splurge but I loved it!

You’re on baby #3 so you know about how it is after giving birth. Yeah, stock up and bring on your own supplies rather than rely on what the hospital gives you :)

And snacks! Things that are going to appeal to you after the birth b/c lets face it, hospital food isn’t exactly what I’d want to dig into when I’m starving and I was starving after delivery!

Definitely lip balm, and lotion. I also brought extra snacks for me, my husband and my 3 year old (small hospital with limited options!) I also had a notebook, something light to read, and some socks with non-slip soles (slippers also work!) Oh and my own pillow, I can’t sleep without it. Something to do to keep occupied (if you have longer labors) until the contractions pick up in intensity.

Depending on the hospital you’ll also need your insurance card/paperwork. And if you have a birth plan you’ll want to include it as well.

Good luck! I can’t believe it’s been a month since I was anticipating the arrival of my little one.

Emma says:

Your own towels! Much better than hospital towels that are tiny and rough! And your own pillow with cute pillowcase since it’s going to be in lots of pictures! Good luck!

emma says:

I am due very soon too and I know the next few weeks are going to DRAG…I really hope my little one comes a little early. :)
    I was told by my doula to bring hard candy/gum and if you are having a vaginal birth bring Depends to wear instead of the pads from the hospital (I guess they are easy to slip on and off w/no ruining of panties).
    I personally am going to take some Coconut water for energy!
    Congrats and best of luck!!

jodi says:

Joking of course :)
    I wanted my own hair brush, head band to keep my hair out of my eyes, snacks, a pillow from home, boppy, and my own PJs/stretchy pants. Best of luck!

Sooo excited for you, Jenny! I looooved wearing my cozy nursing gown from BellaBlue (http://www.bellablumaternity.com/birthinggown.html). It made me feel a little prettier and was super practical, too. I wore it afterward, at home, too, when Clara was nursing a lot.

Sounds like a great list here…

All the best.
    ~A

Christine says:

A picture of your other kiddos…While I was in labor, helped to remind me what it was all about :) And an excercise ball, if you plan to be up and about!

niki says:

Camera charger. Phone charger. (our nurse actually told us to bring a power strip so my husband and I could be charging while we were waiting). Lip balm. Some undergarments you don’t care too deeply about. Pillowcase (colored one so you don’t confuse it with hospital white).

Jenelle K. says:

A couple change of clothes for baby. Ours turned out to be allergic to whatever laundry detergent the hospital used (they give you a “shirt” for baby to wear) so we were glad we brought extra clothes besides what she was going home in.

You might want a phone card if you need to make long distance calls. Sometimes cell phones won’t work inside the hospitals.

Amiee says:

Wow, no one said a laptop or a tablet (like Ipad)! That is like my #1 thing to bring! I’m due in 3.5 weeks and I’m already packing up stuff! Plus I have cesarians, so my list is a little bit longer than yours since I’m in the hospital for like 4 days (it gets old). Let’s see, what else…I second the person who said they bring makeup remover/face washing cloths (so you don’t have to get up with a hurty tummy)…Cell and charger for sure, favorite swaddle blanket (for cute photos of baby–like aden & anais) and cute hat for baby…I bring my own favorite binnkies with me as well–and a bottle that I use specifically for baby (i mostly nurse but i do one bottle of formula a day). Oh and a couple burp cloths for spit ups!