Sep
2012

Pesto Ranch Crock Pot Chicken Thighs

Tags: ,

Dinner

This slow cooked chicken dish could not get simpler.  You literally toss the ingredients into the crock pot, close the lid and forget about it for a few hours.  Love that!!

This is a perfect back to school, no-stress dinner recipe that you don’t have to think about while your managing getting back on a schedule if your kids have already started school.

The chicken comes out perfectly tender with flavorful pesto seasonings throughout.  I like serving this chicken with my favorite mashed potato recipe and a little side salad.  Hope you enjoy!!

Now this is what I call a minimal ingredient line-up :)  I did not photograph the chicken broth that should be here.

Add those chicken thighs right to the crock pot.

Pour in a jar of some fabulous pesto.

Smear it all around with a spoon.

Sprinkle your Ranch Seasoning Mix over top.

Pour in some chicken broth.

Give a little stir and close the lid. Go kick your feet up while your crock pot does all the work :)

Crock Pot Pesto Ranch Chicken Thighs

Crock Pot Pesto Ranch Chicken Thighs 1 textIngredients

Directions

1. Turn crock pot to high setting. Place chicken thighs, pesto, ranch dressing and chicken broth into crock pot. Stir gently to combine all seasonings. Close with lid and cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 6-8 hours.
  2. Serve with a side of mashed potatoes and a simple salad.

Makes 8 servings

___________________________

Have a great day!  Come back soon :)

Comments

Holy flavor! These look amazing!

Ana Cooks says:

chicken with pesto?…huummm…looks good!
    i only use pesto in pasta, but i might try this recipe sooner than i thought. :)
    Thanks!

This looks amazing! I need a crock pot in my life. ASAP :D

I’m so making this next week! I am OBSESSED with pesto (it could probably be my blood type) and adding ranch is an unexpected twist. Delish!

Shut your LIFE this is incredible.

This looks simple yet delicious! I definitely want to make this next week for dinner :)

Chicken thighs are my favorite part of the bird to cook with and with just 4 ingredients in this recipe, yes a total no-brainer like you said! And perfect for your life right now. Hope things are on the upswing with the little man :)

sounds delicious and easy! we love crockpot meals. adding to the rotation! :)

I love these stress-free easy recipes with very few ingredients. I will definitely be making this for dinner sometime next week.

Loving these super easy dinner recipes! I just love the crockpot this time of year. I cant wait to pull mine out and get a-cookin!

This is perfect! I have some homemade pesto in my freezer from this summer that I need to use up.

I use pesto in can, in fall and winter, too. It perfumes a lot of dishes.

Sara says:

This looks wonderful! Can I substitute chicken breasts for the thighs?

definitely making this!!! I think I’ll make it with chicken breasts, like Sara suggests above!

I love crock pot meals…and one with pesto just might be at the top of my list! :)

I have never tried pesto in the crockpot…time to change that!

Madeleine says:

LOVE pesto…have to try this one!

I have been on the hunt for crockpot recipes and am adding this to my winter lineup! Thanks, Jenny!

Beth says:

This sounds EASY and GOOD! Can’t wait to try it.

I am always looking for great crockpot ideas (so nice to have a hearty meal after work). This is great!

marla says:

We totally need this chicken for dinner this weekend. Great recipe Jenny!

Darcy says:

I make a similar dish, but use frozen boneless/skinless chicken breasts and take them straight from the freezer to the crockpot,which means that I don’t need the chicken broth, as there is enough water in the frozen chicken.

Mary Beth says:

Made this a few night ago….. added more chicken stock, then reduced the sauce on the stove top and poured it back over the chicken that I shredded up. made panini the next day with the leftovers….. really, really good. Next time I am gonna add cooked whole wheat pasta, artichoke hearts, chopped tomato, and parm into the crock pot after the chicken is shredded to meld together for a bit. Think it will be fab!!!!

Kelly says:

This lady knows what she’s doing ;) thanks for some great ideas. Trying paninis tonight with the yummy chicken pesto filling

Colleen says:

I made this tonight with boneless skinless chicken breasts. Terrific!
    My modifications: I combined the basil, ranch dry dip and chicken broth
    and whisked them together. I placed trimmed chicken breast in the crockpot
    and poured the mix over. Served with whole wheat penne pasta.
    This is moving into the regular dinner rotation.

[...] This recipe is being made tomorrow. I’m a fan of laziness when I have weeks like this. Plus, it had me at [...]

[...] Speaking of easy, this pesto ranch crock pot chicken is probably one of the simplest I’ve ever seen. Three pre-packaged ingredients + a few chicken thighs, and dinner is on the table with almost zero thought. (Picky Palate) [...]

Pam says:

I made this tonight. Big hit. Totally easy. All ingredients I already had. I paired it with roasted red pepper alfredo linguine.

Emily says:

I absolutely LOVE THIS!! It was so easy and simple to make. All together I made 7 thighs. My husband ate 5 and I ate 2 WHOLE THIGHS! Definitely the best and easiest recipe I have gotten online!

Alisha says:

We tried this with Alfredo and bowtie pasta. It was super yummy! Thank you!

Kameron Bybee says:

Love this! My kids request it regularly now. I use chicken breasts (frozen – straight into the crockpot) and shred them before we eat. Delicioso!!!

Angela says:

Can this be used on a whole chicken in the crock pot?

Tona says:

go? go go go PINOY eh,……. visit http://goo.gl/HNBgn to watch pinoy tv shows

Emily says:

Great thing to do with leftovers is to make a pizza. I used a can of biscuits for the crust and topped with some mozzarella cheese and it was FAB!

Stephanie says:

WOW! I just made this, and cannot believe how great it turned out! I did 4 chicken thighs for 3 hours, reducing the amount of pesto and just using onion and garlic powder and italian seasoning spices, instead of the Ranch mix, basting occasionally. So tender…it fell apart and was delicious! Served with rosemary roasted potatoes, roasted cherry tomatoes and roasted broccoli (with red pepper flakes). Sooooo easy! Will definitely make again!

[...] found this chicken recipe on pinterest and made it for dinner tonight. (The plate doesn’t look this messy when you [...]

chelsea says:

I’ve got this in the crock pot right now for dinner tonight. It’s been in there just over an hour and already smells amazing. I used low fat, low sodium chicken broth to make it a little healthier. As my side I’ve got asparagus and mushrooms marinating in a balsamic vingerette/paramasan cheese sauce and will be baking that later as the chicken gets closer to being done. I’m so excited to try it. This was so easy to make.

Nyteflame says:

You could probably throw some baby carrots and red-skinned potatoes in on top of the other ingredients, so they cook right along with the chicken – One pot meal.

Masey Arnold says:

I have the chicken in the crockpot right now! It smells AMAZING! Can’t wait untill dinner tonight. :)

Masey Arnold says:

After smelling this cook all day, it was so worth the wait! I didn’t add anything to it, just did what it called for! My only regret…wish there was more! :)

So glad to hear you enjoyed the recipe! Thanks for sharing :)

Jennielynn says:

I have 3 teenagers and this is one of their favorite meals. You can stack this if you want to double it. I layer 6-8 thigh on the bottom with 3/4 the jar of pesto and 2 tbs of ranch powder. The I lay another 4-6 on top of that and put the rest of the pesto and ranch on them. I pour the chicken broth over and set the crock pot. It works really well for those with a big family or big eaters.

LaTonjia G. says:

Making tonight going to add potatoes right in! This sounds amazing!

Nicole Gomez says:

This came out so great! My family and I loved the recipe

Kelly says:

Made this tonight and it was AWESOME!!! Found it on pinterest.

Jessica Olarte Utu says:

I made this today and let it slow cook for 7 hours in my crock pot. The chicken just fell apart, it was great! I served it over spaghetti noodles and invited my mom over for dinner. Yum! I think even my husband would enjoy this one :-)

[...] want this. http://picky-palate.com/2012/09/20/pesto-ranch-crock-pot-chicken-thighs/ I want it bad. Pesto AND ranch? My tastebuds cry out in yearning…and then just cry when [...]

Tania says:

Sounds delicious, but do you think we could use chicken breasts instead of thighs, my family doesn’t care for the dark meat.

kristi says:

This was incredible! The flavor is unmatched. I would say the ranch kicks up the flavor of the pesto perfectly without being too salty!! Thank you for sharing this recipe, I love it!

[...] end well.                                                    Source: picky-palate.com via Kristin on [...]

Ann Cochran says:

Made this using sun dried tomato pesto ,awesome!!!

Elle says:

I’m so excited to make this tomorrow night! I’m doing Weight Watchers and this dish is perfect for it! It appears to be full of flavor and is low points! It comes out to 5pts+ per thigh, just in case you were interested to know :)