How is it already November?! My sweet baby boy is already 9 weeks old! I am loving being a new mom again, it’s the sweetest job in the whole world. He gets a front row seat in the kitchen in his sling wrapped with mama For those of you on Instagram make sure you find me (@pickypalate or Jenny Flake), I post lots of pictures of Paxton :) Ok, let’s talk soup shall we? Today is pumpkin soup.
Is there anything more comforting than a nice warm bowl of soup in the Fall months?! It’s one of my favorite things to make when I’ve got some time in the kitchen. I love chopping all the vegetables and organizing the ingredients knowing the goodness that’s ahead.
This is a relatively simple soup to prepare, just a little chopping of some veggies (unless you get the pre-chopped ones at your grocery store) and some cooked chicken and the rest is easy.
Let’s take a look.
Here are your simple ingredients. I saved myself a little time by getting the pre-chopped veggies from my grocery store.
You can either get a rotisserie chicken and shred it, or bake 2 large chicken breasts in a small baking dish with 1/4 cup of chicken broth covered with foil 350 degrees for about 50-60 minutes. Remove from oven and let sit for 15 minutes before shredding.
If you are not a cilantro fan, use parsley as a substitute.
Alright, time to sautee the veggies. Celery to start.
Don’t forget your carrots and onions.
Love these vibrant colors.
Once your veggies are softened, add your chicken and chicken broth.
Add your pumpkin and cream.
Time for the salt, pepper, garlic salt and cilantro!
Save the best for last….some cheese please :) This soup is a creamy dream. It’s thick, chunky yet creamy and fabulous. The pumpkin is savory and subtle. This is one of our newest favorite recipes. Hope you enjoy!
Ahhh, dig in!
This color! It’s so perfect for Fall right?
Hearty Chicken Pumpkin Soup
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 3 cups cooked shredded chicken breast
- 32 ounces reduced sodium chicken broth
- 15 ounce can pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Lawry’s garlic salt
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Heat olive oil in large dutch oven or pot over medium heat. Add onion, celery and carrots, stirring and cooking for about 15 minutes, until softened. Stir in garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add chicken, chicken broth, pumpkin, cream, salt, pepper, garlic salt and cilantro. Stir to combine. When hot, stir in cheese to melt. Taste and season accordingly with additional seasonings if desired.
Makes 8 Servings