Valentine Shortbread Cookie Sandwiches
- 2 sticks/1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup spreadable jam
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 jar sprinkle balls
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and line a large baking sheet with a silpat liner or parchment paper. Place butter, sugars, flour and salt into stand mixer, mix until well combined and dough forms. Transfer to a parchment lined countertop and roll to about 1/4 inch thick round. Use heart cookie cutters to form cookies and transfer to baking sheet. Spread a thin layer of jam on only the whole hearts. Freeze sheet of cookies for 10 minutes before baking. This helps the cookies hold their heart shape.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until slightly golden. Let cool for 10 minutes before transferring to cooling rack. I like to spread another light layer of jam over the warm cookies that had jam already, this helps the cookies stick together nicely.
- Place powdered sugar and cream into a bowl, whisking to combine. Add additional cream to desired icing consistency. Frost over cooled cookies and sprinkle with sprinkles. Make sure to use the mini heart shapes to make cookie sandwiches. Sandwich with jam then top with icing. Enjoy!
Makes 10-12 3 inch cookies plus little heart centers