Apr
2013

How To Make Perfect M and M Cookies

Tags: , ,

Cookies

How To Make Perfect M and M Cookies by Picky Palate www.picky-palate.com

I’ve been teasing you with my Perfect M and M cookies for over a week now on Instagram.  I had to re-test them to make sure they were just perfect for you!  …..well they are, so I’m hoping it’ll be worth the wait.

So, what defines a perfect cookie to you?  It’s quite different for everyone I imagine.  For me, the cookie has to be soft but crispy around the edges with just the right texture.  Also, they must not be flat.  This cookie that I’ve developed has all of those things which is why this post is called How To Make Perfect M and M Cookies :)

Wanna know the secret to creating the lovely texture and shape to these cookies?!!

The Secret

Here’s the secret.  I added 3 tablespoons of instant vanilla pudding powder to my dough.  You’ll get perfectly fluffy, chewy and bakery style cookies every time.

Let’s take a look at my recipe!

creaming sugars

Butter and sugars please!

eggs and vanilla

Egg and vanilla.

IMG_2079

Flour, salt and baking soda please :)

vanilla pudding mix

Magical ingredient, the vanilla pudding mix.

Stirring

Give a nice stir and get ready to add the fun stuff.

mini chips and mini m and m

Oh yah!  Lately I’ve been using Mini Chocolate Chips for my cookies.  Regular size works too, whatever floats your boat.  I do recommend using the mini M and M’s though.  They can be tricky to find.  These were bought at Walmart and Frys in Mesa, AZ.

IMG_2141

For the love of chocolate chips.

M and M

Be still my mini M and M heart.

IMG_2182

Yes please!

M and M Cookie Dough

My kind of dough.

M and M Cookie Dough Picky Palate

Do not press the cookie dough before baking.   Leave just like this.  UPDATE:  If your cookies don’t flatten after baking as my photo shows below, try pressing the cookie dough to about a 1/2″ thickness before you bake.

How To Make Perfect M and M Cookies by Picky Palate www.picky-palate.com

This is how they’ll come out.  Perfect!  Enjoy friends!

How To Make Perfect M and M Cookies by Picky Palate www.picky-palate.com

How To Make Perfect M and M Cookies

How To Make Perfect M and M Cookies by Picky Palate www.picky-palate.com Ingredients

• 1 stick/1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1-1/2 cups all purpose Gold Medal Flour
  • 3 tablespoons Instant vanilla pudding mix
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 3/4 cup mini chocolate chips
  • 1 or 1-1/2 cups Mini M and M’s

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and line a large baking sheet with a silpat liner or parchment paper.
  2. In a large mixing bowl cream your butter and sugars until well combined. Add your egg and vanilla mixing to combine. Add your flour, pudding mix, baking soda and salt, stirring to combine. Add chips and m and m’s stirring to combine.
  3. With a medium cookie scoop, place dough 1 inch apart from each other. Bake for 10-12 minutes until cooked through. Let cool on cookie sheet for 10 minutes before transferring to cooling rack. Enjoy!

Makes 2 dozen cookies

This post contains affiliate links.

Comments

Michelle says:

I just made these and mine spread out flat. I followed the recipe exactly, made sure my butter was not too soft and chilled the dough for an hour. Is there anything else I could have done to achieve the fluffy texture yours show in the picture? Maybe add more flour? This is the first PP recipe that hasn’t worked out for me, thanks for all the great recipes you share with us!

Hi Michelle, I’m sorry to hear these were flat. I’ve made these a few times now and they have been fluffy each time. I’m stumped! Wish I could be in the kitchen with you so we could figure it out! xoxo

• Michelle says:

Thanks Jenny! They tasted really good, just not pretty like yours. I will increase the flour next time, that might help. : )

• nancy k says:

Just read your comment. It could be that the temp in your oven is off or is flucuating during baking. I noticed silimar problems a while back and learned later that the problem was with my oven. The ignitor needed to be replaced.

Megan says:

Did you put dry pudding mix? Or prepared pudding?

Renee says:

Yummy yummy yummy yummy yummy!!!!! I wish I was eating these right now.

I loooove the look of these!! Yum!

[...] Oh, and there is a secret ingredient to make your cookies thick and tender every time…it’s pudding mix! Just a few tablespoons makes a world of difference. My friend Jenny gives a perfect example here! [...]

Oh, Jenny-girl, these sounds fantastic. Love the M&M’s but I’m an M&M freak, anyway! ha!

Love that you use pudding mix in these beauties! I add it to everything sweet that goes in the oven :)

Nellie says:

I just had to make these because I adore all things mini M&M’s. Well, mine did not come out as pretty as yours but they sure as heck did taste delicious and my 5 year old daughter agrees!

Thanks for this recipe – so much fun to make, so cheerfully colorful and fabulously delicious!

Thesha says:

These look like little bits of heaven! The kids and I will be making these this weekend!

Eloise says:

I had the same problem as debbie. :( wonder what went wrong.
    Thankful that I didnt have to throw away, they tasted great!

Megan says:

Ah, they look so good! I love the mini chocolate chips! Do you think I could replace the jello mix with cornstarch? I’ve heard that the jello mix contains cornstarch which is what does the trick…

Trooppetrie says:

I just made these for our church and family, can I post them on my blog and link back to you
    Prmpetrie
    @yahoo.com

Justine Green says:

Jenny, my cookies taste great, but they didn’t stick together. They are crumbly. I followed the recipe to T. Should I increase wet ingredients?

Nancy Karnoski says:

I had the same problem. I am really disappointed. There doesn’t seem to be enough liquid ingredients in this recipe. I looked at the Toll House cookie recipe, and it has 2 eggs. This only has one.

Amy says:

Made them and they taste great! However, Jenny sure has a high sugar tolerance…a little too sweet for me. I would probably reduce the sugar and chocolate chips a bit! They felt a bit too salty as well, but we barely use salt in anything so that could be my family!

Beautiful pictures, mouth watering, in fact;) I love good plump cookie!

Karin says:

Do you have a cookie scooper that you recommend?

Jeph says:

I’m with Debbie – I just put these in the oven and while the raw dough tastes great, I’m wondering how they’ll bake up. The chocolate chip + mini M&M to dough ratio seems off. There’s so much filler stuff that the dough was hardly visible, and I worry about structural integrity. Granted, I like my choc chip recipes with a lighter hand on the choc chips, but this actually seems overwhelmed. Assuming they taste as good as your pictures look, I’ll just dial down the addins next time.

Holly says:

These turned out perfect. Although my cookies didn’t seem to spread as much. I used a medium scoop and yours seem much bigger. I will definitely be making these again so I think I will try withy large scoop. Thanks for the fabulous recipe!!!!

Anne says:

I made these tonight. They are chocolate heaven. However, mine spread more than yours did. They are thin and chewy with crispy edges. No complaints. But the finished product is not thick. I followed recipe to letter. Any suggestions to why? Thanks though. They are chocolatey and yummy.

Anne says:

I think I know why they spread after going back. I took this to mean 1&1/2 cups butter- “1 stick/1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened”

I put too much butter in. You meant only one stick didn’t you? Now I know for next time.

• Justine G. says:

Anne, I think you solved my problem. I’m comment 63! My cookie dough didn’t stick together at all and when baked, they stayed in the scoop shape. I may have misread the amount of butter. I only added one stick…

• nancy k says:

You read the recipe correctly…It is one stick which is 1/2 cup . I am not sure why you had the dryness problem but for the amount of flour and sugar the recipe calls for, the one stick should be enough.

• Karen M. says:

Mine stayed in the scoop shape, too! Did I mix the butter,sugar, egg mixture too long?

I saw these on IG… they do look absolutely perfect! :)

[...] immediately made me realize I had struck gold. Once I got past the image I read the title of this post, “How to make perfect M&M cookies” and given the fact that her cookies looked so [...]

nancy k says:

These cookies look yummy.Thanks for sharing. I love using mini chips too but often can’t find the mini M&M’s so I have taken to smashing the regular size M&M’s before adding to the batter. The look isn’t as pretty but it eliminates the cracking that happens with the larger ones. I also like the idea of adding just 3 TLBs of pudding instead of the whole package.

Nancy Jo says:

Hi there Jenny :) I love your cookbook and your recipe posts!!! I have a favor/request to ask…is there anyway to include in your email subject line what recipe is inside? I find myself going back thru several to find a recipe I am looking for. If so that would be great in my “saved recipes” from you!! Thanks so much!! NJ

Tasha says:

In the process of making, my batter doesn’t seem very moist at all. Is that normal? And there is no way I am getting 2 dozen cookies out of it

Hmmmm, I definitely got 2 dozen cookies with my recipe. Is your cookie scoop huge? If your dough seems too dry you can add a couple tablespoons of vegetable oil to help :)

DD says:

Hi Jenny, question? Could you freeze the dough exactly how it is with all the add ins. These look super yummy & M&M cookies are my favorite!

Theone says:

These were amazing! My son loved them. The only thing I did was add two eggs instead of one. My dough wasn’t sticking with just one egg. Great recipe!!

Mommypage says:

Your M & M cookies are so pretty! Chocolate chips and M & Ms is a delicious combination. Your picture makes the cookies look amazing!

Krystal says:

I’ve been waiting for a recipe to try with my leftover mini M&Ms and vanilla pudding mix! They taste great! Lots of chocolate, which I love!

THese look amazing! I feel like I just gained 5 pounds. Can’t wait to bake these. I prefer using the mini chips!

Natalie G says:

I made a double batch of this recipe yesterday substituting Trader Joe’s Gluten Free All Purpose Flour (I am gluten intolerant) for regular flour and they were outstanding! They did turn out a little flatter than your photos but maybe that was due to the GF flour. Anyway, they were so delicious and no one could tell they were GF. I am sure the addition of the pudding mix was the reason. Thanks for a great recipe!

minnersmom says:

I knew something about this batter sounded like it was going to be awesome with addition of the instant vanilla pudding mix – and it was! I didn’t make these exact cookies as I had no mini M&Ms but I used chocolate chips and Kraft Caramel nuggets – and WOW! They are unreal! I have only so-so luck with regular/original chocolate chip cookie dough so this will now be my go-to dough for any kind of chocolate chip or ‘fun add-in’ cookie. AMAZINGLY DELICIOUS!

[...] week Jenny Flake over at The Picky Palate had a recipe up for making the perfect M & M cookies. From her pictures you can see that they do indeed look to be absolutely perfect! When I saw them [...]

Trisha says:

Your cookies look awesome! Do you think it would be ok to double this recipe?

Trisha says:

Do you think this recipe would double ok?

[...] go wrong with m & m’s cookies!  Make 2 batches and keep one for your family!  Click here for the “perfect m & m cookie” [...]

Lorna says:

I used one of your old chocolate chip cookie recipes. Then I added 6 Tablespoons of the vanilla pudding powder along with the bag of mini M&M’s and mini chocolate chips. This recipe looks like it is cut in half so I doubled the vanilla pudding ingredient to the old chocolate chip recipe. The dough was perfect and they look and taste phenomenal!

Jody says:

I had an opened box of pudding in my cupboard from when I made your green velvet donuts so I made these yesterday…Very easy and yummy! I love that they don’t get flat like my cookies usually do :-)Great texture, and it really was a very simple recipe. Thanks Jenny!

Sara says:

So… Just made these today. I live in Colorado so the altitude may make a difference. The dough was VERY dry and it was hard to get all of the M&M’s to stick in the dough. I did not add the chocolate chips (thank goodness otherwise there would not have been enough dough to hold all of the chocolatey goodness). My suggestion would be to add 1 -2 tsp water or maybe another egg? Thoughts?

[...] figured it’d be a great day to stay indoors and try out some new recipes! These cookies from Picky Palate are amazing, and the M&M’s can easily be substituted for something of your preference. [...]

Beth says:

To those that were having difficulty getting “pretty” cookies — I was having the same problem until I decided to chill my dough in the fridge. Once chilled, they came out exactly as Jenny’s looked! They held their shape better on the pan when cold…. hope this helps!

I bookmarked this. My husband LOVES M&M cookies, this might be great for his birthday!

Oh my! These do look perfect and we love the exact same cookie – fluffy, chewy and a little crispy! Thanks for sharing – I will definitely be adding pudding mix to future cookies!!

Heather says:

I made these this past weekend with my 3 year old, she had a blast and she really enjoyed them! They turned out beautiful and delishious thank you for sharing your recipe. (Note we used regular sizedd m&m’s)

Your cookies do look absolutely perfect! Yum!!

Rieneke says:

Just made these and although they don’t look nearly as pretty as yours, they sure taste great! Thanks

Sibylle says:

So fun for children! How many cookies do you get out of the recipe? Thank you!

Sibylle says:

How many cookies do you get out of this recipe?
    Thank you!!
    Sibylle

Ashley says:

I made these and I have to say this is one of the FIRST Pinterest recipes that has EVER turned out! Thanks, I was happy I didn’t make them and then have disappointing cookies.

Aubrey says:

Best M&M cookie recipe! We loved it! The amount to chocolate and M&Ms seemed like a lot to me, so I reduced the choc chips to 1/3 cup and M&Ms down to 1 cup and they turned out great.

Gina says:

These are amazing! Thanks for the recipe. I used 1 c. of m&m’s and 3/4 c. chocolate chips.