Don't miss a single recipe from Picky Palate: sign up for my weekly newsletter

Apr
2013

How To Make Perfect M and M Cookies

Tags: , ,

Cookies

How To Make Perfect M and M Cookies by Picky Palate www.picky-palate.com

I’ve been teasing you with my Perfect M and M cookies for over a week now on Instagram.  I had to re-test them to make sure they were just perfect for you!  …..well they are, so I’m hoping it’ll be worth the wait.

So, what defines a perfect cookie to you?  It’s quite different for everyone I imagine.  For me, the cookie has to be soft but crispy around the edges with just the right texture.  Also, they must not be flat.  This cookie that I’ve developed has all of those things which is why this post is called How To Make Perfect M and M Cookies :)

Wanna know the secret to creating the lovely texture and shape to these cookies?!!

The Secret

Here’s the secret.  I added 3 tablespoons of instant vanilla pudding powder to my dough.  You’ll get perfectly fluffy, chewy and bakery style cookies every time.

Let’s take a look at my recipe!

creaming sugars

Butter and sugars please!

eggs and vanilla

Egg and vanilla.

IMG_2079

Flour, salt and baking soda please :)

vanilla pudding mix

Magical ingredient, the vanilla pudding mix.

Stirring

Give a nice stir and get ready to add the fun stuff.

mini chips and mini m and m

Oh yah!  Lately I’ve been using Mini Chocolate Chips for my cookies.  Regular size works too, whatever floats your boat.  I do recommend using the mini M and M’s though.  They can be tricky to find.  These were bought at Walmart and Frys in Mesa, AZ.

IMG_2141

For the love of chocolate chips.

M and M

Be still my mini M and M heart.

IMG_2182

Yes please!

M and M Cookie Dough

My kind of dough.

M and M Cookie Dough Picky Palate

Do not press the cookie dough before baking.   Leave just like this.  UPDATE:  If your cookies don’t flatten after baking as my photo shows below, try pressing the cookie dough to about a 1/2″ thickness before you bake.

How To Make Perfect M and M Cookies by Picky Palate www.picky-palate.com

This is how they’ll come out.  Perfect!  Enjoy friends!

How To Make Perfect M and M Cookies by Picky Palate www.picky-palate.com

How To Make Perfect M and M Cookies

How To Make Perfect M and M Cookies by Picky Palate www.picky-palate.com Ingredients

• 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1-1/2 cups all purpose Gold Medal Flour
  • 3 tablespoons Instant vanilla pudding mix
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 3/4 cup mini chocolate chips
  • 1 or 1-1/2 cups Mini M and M’s

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and line a large baking sheet with a silpat liner or parchment paper.
  2. In a large mixing bowl cream your butter and sugars until well combined. Add your egg and vanilla mixing to combine. Add your flour, pudding mix, baking soda and salt, stirring to combine. Add chips and m and m’s stirring to combine.
  3. With a medium cookie scoop, place dough 1 inch apart from each other. Bake for 10-12 minutes until cooked through. Let cool on cookie sheet for 10 minutes before transferring to cooling rack. Enjoy!

Makes 2 dozen cookies

This post contains affiliate links.

Comments

[...] That recipe can be found here: Perfect M&M cookies [...]

[...] slightly adapted Perfect M&M Cookies recipe from Picky Palate. It uses pudding mix. Have you tried adding pudding to your cookie dough? It makes them incredibly [...]

Kimberly S. says:

I made these last night with carmel bits and chocolate chips and they are absolutely the best cookies. Thank you so much for the recipe. I will be using this over and over. My kiddo loved them too!

Gorgeous!! I always include chocolate chips with my M&M cookies as well :) Definitely going to have to try these, I am a sucker for anything with M&M’s.

Sharon says:

I made these but the dough came out dry and crumbly. I followed all the steps correctly and I don’t know what happened. Any ideas what caused it?

jessica says:

Is it 1 stick of butter that equals 1/2 acup or 1 stick plus 1/2 cup?

Margaret says:

These cookies are PERFECT! This is the cookie recipe I’ve been waiting for. Thanks so much for the recipe! It’s definitely a keeper =)

jeanette says:

I made these this morning and they were just perfect. I made sure my butter was softened so cookie dough would not be too thick. Loved them!

Manda says:

These cookies are so, so amazing!! I’ve made them 3 times already and everyone loves them. I want to add pudding mix to everything now! :)

Natasha says:

These look delicious! Being in England, I’ll be using smarties instead of M and Ms. However, I know that us Brits don’t have pudding. I do know that custard powder is sometimes used in biscuits (cookies for you!). We don’t have ‘pudding’ powder, do you have any idea whether custard powder would work, perhaps not quite as well but would it do? Thanks!

Abby says:

So the butter is one full stick plus a half cup?

Vanessa says:

It is only 1 stick of butter which equals to 1/2 cup. That is why she put 1 stick/1/2 cup. Hope that makes sense :)

Clover says:

My daughter and I made these for her bake sale at school, they turned out great. Doubled the recipe, but not the amount of chocolate, and it was perfect. Basically 3/4 cup mini choc chips, and 1 bag of mini m&m’s was plenty of chocolate. Thanks for a yummy cookie recipe.

[...] the chance to try a new cookie recipe. After scrolling Pinterest for some fresh ideas, the “How to Make Perfect M&M Cookies” recipe caught my eye. Turns out, they are the perfect cookies! Everyone that tried them [...]

Hannah says:

These were so soft and delicious! There was a lot of chocolate but I just mixed it in with my hands and it turned out great. Everyone couldn’t keep their hands off them.

Georgia says:

I made these tonight and they were so delicious! I am in Utah, so my dough was NOT crumbly, as per the directions. In fact, I had to add about 3T of flour. But it was delicious!

Christy Bergeron says:

I made these cookies last night for my daugher’s poetry party at school today. I hestitated sending them to school this morning becuase I wanted to eat all of them myself. What a great recipe! Thanks for sharing! Christy

Cristina Cabrera says:

Delicious! Thank you for share your Secret with us. I love your blog. Best regards from Sao Paulo, Brasil. Cristina

maria says:

Can the perfect m and m cookies be made with a mixer? They look so delicious !

Thea says:

I’ve made these two times in the past three days. They really are PERFECT! This will now be my go-to chocolate chip cookie recipe.

[...] I have to scan the recipe and photographs to see what might justify the usage of that label.  Picky Palate  claims that using instant vanilla pudding mix creates chewy, bakery-style cookies.  I was [...]

Leanna says:

Hi Jenny! These look great! Do you think they would taste good if i put reeses pieces instead of m&ms?

Thanks!

HijabiMommy says:

Hello Jenny! Love your website.

I made these yesterday and I have to tell you they are out of this world! So delicious and the texture is amazing.

I followed your exact recipe and didn’t have a single problem. I made them side-by-side with Nestle Tollhouse cookies and yours came out beautiful compare to theirs! They kept their shape while the Tollhouse one’s kinda spread all over the place. Good job!

These are going to be my go-to recipe!

Thanks a bunch!

Rani15md says:

I just made these and they turned out fabulous!! Thanks for the great recipe!!

Charro M. says:

Thanks for the recipe! I made them and they were absolutely amazing! :)

Lynne says:

I made these and they’re delish! Too many M & Ms for me – next time will use only 1 cup mini MMs.

Kathryn says:

I made this dough, added a tablespoon of cinnamon, used cinnamon chips instead of the mini-chips and M&Ms, and sprinkled the tops with cinnamon sugar. So good!

Karen says:

I made these today and they were the best cookies ever.

Natasha says:

These cookies are amazing!! I can’t stop baking them and they disappear in a day or two. If your dough ends up crumbly its a possibility you are scooping the flour instead of spooning it loosely into the measuring cup. This causes the flour to pack down and ends up putting too much flour in the dough. If this isn’t the problem then I would suggest putting a couple tablespoons less flour.

Vanessa says:

I have made these cookies like 10 times! I am in love with this recipe. I cannot get enough of them. Def. my favorite cookie recipe :))) Thank you!

Adriana says:

Mine did not flatten out! What did I do wrong:(

Laura says:

I made these cookies today and they are absolutely delicious! The perfect cookie texture and lots of chocolate! Yum! I found this recipe on Pinterest. Thanks for sharing!!

[...] Recipe adapted from Picky-Palate [...]

Dani says:

Can you use the dough to make a cookie cake?

melanie says:

Just made these, mine were a little plumper than your final product and I had to bake them for 20 minutes, but they turned out AMAZING!!!! It did seem like the dough could have used more wet ingredients, I had a tough time getting the chips and m&ms to mix in, but again I dont care because they were the drop cookie I have ever made!!!

College Cook says:

Wow, these are perfect! Thanks for the recipe.

Dee says:

I made these last night, I am probably not like most people but I felt like these had way too many chocolate chips and m&m’s in them. I couldn’t get them all to mix into my cookie dough. I taste way more chocolate that cookie. I will defiantly cut back next time I make them.

Michelle says:

Great taste, but too many chocolate chips and M&Ms….couldn’t mix them all into the dough. Mine didn’t flatten out either like pictured – they kept the shape of the cookie scoop.

Lauren Chesani says:

Hey! I am about to attempt to make a batch of these cookies. My dad went to the store and accidentally bought cook-and-serve pudding instead of instant pudding. Will that completely mess up the recipe?

Thank you! (:

Rachel says:

Hi. I live in Idaho and have trouble baking cookies-they are puffy when they go in the oven but flat as can be when they come out. Is there a high altitude version??

Jacq says:

Great recipe, thank you for sharing. I made the cookies last night and they turned out fabulous, I brought 2 into work to indulge in later on. Only changes I made were omitting the chocolate chips and I added a splash of milk because my dough was not sticking. I cooked them for 11 minutes and they came out beautiful. Enjoy! :)

Hello there my children fellow member! I must point out that this article is awesome, good written you need to include almost all important infos. I must appearance extra content like this .

Cynthia says:

I’ve made this twice and they taste awesome, but the batter has turned out kind of dry. The first time I thought maybe I overmeasured flour. This time I’m not sure what I did! Any suggestions? I cream the room temp butter for 5 min and it looks great after egg and vanilla, but by the time I add dry ingredients, it’s pretty tough. Yummy, but tough.

Veronica says:

Look amazing! Could you please indicate the total weight (in grams please) of 1 stick and 1/2 cup of butter? Thanks a lot!

Angela says:

I’ve tried making these twice, and they are delicious.. But they don’t flatten out like yours do. Is there something that I am doing wrong??

tina says:

Second time making them. They are great. I double the mix but not the chips and Ms. And they are just right.

Olivia says:

I had really high hopes for these cookies. However when I put these in the over, to my disappointment, the cookies stayed in their round balls. They didn’t look like cookies. Just like round blobs. I then had to press down the burning cookies with my hands.

[...] When you hear the words “cafeteria” and “cookies” in the same sentence, most of us would probably cringe in fear.  When my sisters brought me this Pinterest pin begging for me to make them these “cafeteria cookies”, as they were calling them (they look like the cookies the school sells at lunch), I was skeptical.  But after a lot of reassurance from my sisters insisting if the cookies tasted anything like the ones they could buy from their school the recipe would be a keeper, I decided to go ahead and try it out. Luckily I had all the ingredients in my pantry, making the allure of the recipe even more inviting.  You can find the original pin and recipe here. [...]

Brittany says:

I wad wondering how much butter do I use is it 1/2 c or 1 1/2 cups

Kate says:

I just made these and I’m not sure what I did different, but they did not turn out all that great. The dough was very crumbly and didn’t flatten out after baking. The final cookie is pretty, but a bit dry.

Stacy says:

Going to the store NOW!!!! these cookies look soooooo GOOD!!!! I love anything sweet and I just woke up with the idea to make these cookies, started researching recipies and I fell in love with this one!! Think i want to add some white chocolate chips as well!!!!