Apr
2013

How To Make Perfect M and M Cookies

Tags: , ,

Cookies

How To Make Perfect M and M Cookies by Picky Palate www.picky-palate.com

I’ve been teasing you with my Perfect M and M cookies for over a week now on Instagram.  I had to re-test them to make sure they were just perfect for you!  …..well they are, so I’m hoping it’ll be worth the wait.

So, what defines a perfect cookie to you?  It’s quite different for everyone I imagine.  For me, the cookie has to be soft but crispy around the edges with just the right texture.  Also, they must not be flat.  This cookie that I’ve developed has all of those things which is why this post is called How To Make Perfect M and M Cookies :)

Wanna know the secret to creating the lovely texture and shape to these cookies?!!

The Secret

Here’s the secret.  I added 3 tablespoons of instant vanilla pudding powder to my dough.  You’ll get perfectly fluffy, chewy and bakery style cookies every time.

Let’s take a look at my recipe!

creaming sugars

Butter and sugars please!

eggs and vanilla

Egg and vanilla.

IMG_2079

Flour, salt and baking soda please :)

vanilla pudding mix

Magical ingredient, the vanilla pudding mix.

Stirring

Give a nice stir and get ready to add the fun stuff.

mini chips and mini m and m

Oh yah!  Lately I’ve been using Mini Chocolate Chips for my cookies.  Regular size works too, whatever floats your boat.  I do recommend using the mini M and M’s though.  They can be tricky to find.  These were bought at Walmart and Frys in Mesa, AZ.

IMG_2141

For the love of chocolate chips.

M and M

Be still my mini M and M heart.

IMG_2182

Yes please!

M and M Cookie Dough

My kind of dough.

M and M Cookie Dough Picky Palate

Do not press the cookie dough before baking.   Leave just like this.  UPDATE:  If your cookies don’t flatten after baking as my photo shows below, try pressing the cookie dough to about a 1/2″ thickness before you bake.

How To Make Perfect M and M Cookies by Picky Palate www.picky-palate.com

This is how they’ll come out.  Perfect!  Enjoy friends!

How To Make Perfect M and M Cookies by Picky Palate www.picky-palate.com

How To Make Perfect M and M Cookies

How To Make Perfect M and M Cookies by Picky Palate www.picky-palate.com Ingredients

• 1 stick/1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1-1/2 cups all purpose Gold Medal Flour
  • 3 tablespoons Instant vanilla pudding mix
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 3/4 cup mini chocolate chips
  • 1 or 1-1/2 cups Mini M and M’s

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and line a large baking sheet with a silpat liner or parchment paper.
  2. In a large mixing bowl cream your butter and sugars until well combined. Add your egg and vanilla mixing to combine. Add your flour, pudding mix, baking soda and salt, stirring to combine. Add chips and m and m’s stirring to combine.
  3. With a medium cookie scoop, place dough 1 inch apart from each other. Bake for 10-12 minutes until cooked through. Let cool on cookie sheet for 10 minutes before transferring to cooling rack. Enjoy!

Makes 2 dozen cookies

This post contains affiliate links.

Comments

megan says:

Tried these and mt cookies came out super flat!

Lesa Lung says:

I made these yesterday and I am amking them again today. Wow! They are awesome!

Krin says:

What am I doing wrong!? I’ve made these cookies twice and neither time did they turn out like yours! This first time they were too dry and the second time they are small and not as pretty. Help please!

Missy says:

I just made these with a few modifications. (Didn’t have all the required ingredients on hand, but just HAD to try the pudding thing.) I used turbinado sugar, instead of brown … chocolate pudding, instead of vanilla and Almond Joy pieces, instead of chocolate chips and M&MS. Oh my gosh, so yummy. I am a pudding convert! The chocolate pudding was a total success … made the cookies a pretty light brown color and added a nice chocolate undertone. I only plopped three Almond Joy pieces on each cookie, after scooping them on the tray, so the added chocolate pudding flavor was probably needed. Crispy edges with chewy centers. So yummy, will make again (with proper ingreds)!

[...] Adapted From: Picky Palate [...]

Yovani says:

What can i use instead of eggs? My mother is vegan and i really wanted to make them for her.

Yovani, sorry for the late reply. We have not tested this recipe without eggs so we can’t be much help. I just googled an egg substitute and found suggestions so I would say try that. Good luck! :)

[...] orginal recipe comes from Picky Palate, I changed the recipe a little bit, adjusting it what I had, and it came up perfectly! The cookies [...]

Lottice says:

Does your pudding trick work on other cookie recipes?

looks amazing…and they are delicious

Kara says:

1stick of unsalted butter, correct? These look amazing! Can’t wait to try them :) thanks

Jenn says:

I didn’t have vanilla pudding on hand since I grabbed white chocolate on accident. Wow. I’m glad I did! White chocolate gave it a different flavor than I was expecting; dare I say, a better one! White chocolate m&m cookies will be happening again, for sure.

Kara says:

Just a question about your recipe. I live in a very humid state. Would I need to add pudding to make them nmoist, or do you think the air would have an effect on them? We moved here only a week ago, so the humidity thing is new for me. Is it humid or dry where you live?

Thanks!

Esther says:

For the 1 – 1 1/2 cups of mini m and ‘s is that 2cups and a half??

Jillian says:

I just made these and they were delicious! I just put in 1 cup of M&Ms and placed a few on top of each scoop of dough on the baking tray. Crispy edges, soft middles – PERFECT (as the name suggests) Thanks for the recipe! I’m thankful for a thick tasty cookie that does not require chill time.

[...] my baking buddy came across this recipe from Picky Palate and I’m not going to lie, they were really good.  I’ve always [...]

[...] Have I convinced you how perfect these cookies are yet? Seriously my new favorite! This recipe is inspired by Picky Palate. [...]

[...] forgot to snap a photo of the finished product, and now they are all gone! I used this recipe from Picky Palate blog, and I definitely encourage you to try them yourself! I love using both mini chocolate chips and [...]

Jackie says:

Just made these…perfect! Thanks for sharing the recipe, I would have never thought to add pudding mix to a cookie recipe!

nadda says:

My daughter and I just made these together. We bought an M&M cookie at the mall yesterday and I saw this pinned today so I was inspired to try. SUCCESS! My daughter declares they are better than the ones at the mall, and I must agree! Thank you you sharing! This is my new go-to cookie recipe for sure!

[...] recipe is adapted from Picky Palate. She is totally right- these are the perfect M&M [...]

Lindsay says:

I do have to say that I was skeptical that these would be perfect…but you are SO RIGHT! I just blogged about making these. Everyone in my family has loved them so far! I just used less m&m’s and chocolate chips- but you made a great recipe!

Kallie says:

What is the reason for using kosher salt? What is the difference and will the cookies come out differently if I just use table salt?

Kallie, sorry for the late reply. If you use regular salt you will need to use less quantity. I don’t know how much less exactly.

[...] week Jenny Flake over at The Picky Palate had a recipe up for making the perfect M & M cookies. From her pictures you can see that they do indeed look to be absolutely perfect! When I saw them [...]

Kerani says:

These looked yummy. But failed for me. The were really puffy and I followed the recipe word for word. Maybe its because of the high altitude!!

Lisa says:

Loved this recipe! I have made them several times. I found that the cookies were extra chewy if I made the dough and put it in the fridge for a while or even until the next day.

[...] made these cookies for many years and lost the recipe.  I ran across this recipe from Picky Palate on pinterest and it looked similar to the recipe I used to use so I had [...]

[...] title of this recipe is Perfect M&M Cookies. I did not create that title, but I could not agree with it more. When I imagine how M&M cookies [...]

Annemarie says:

I am not a fan of chocolate chip cookies. But my husband and I have been craving somthing sweet before bed. We have tried ice cream and fro yogurt but nothing is just right. I found this the otger day and it looked so good I tried it tonight. I am in love with these cookies. My husband loves them too.just the pefect sweet treat before bed. I am wondering if you can use the secret ingredent in other cookie recipes? Mmmm so good.

Monica says:

These are delicious cookies, but I will definitely add another egg or some milk next time. My batter was super crumbly. And then I would cut the chocolate to maybe 1/2 cup chocolate chips and 1 cup m & m’s. I had leftover chocolate in the bottom of my bowl too. Which was delicious to eat but didn’t help my batter stick together any better. Definitely will make again though! Great flavor!

valerie says:

I’ve made the cookies a few times now and everyone who tries them says they are the best cookies they’ve ever eaten. Thanks for the great recipe!

Angelica says:

I have made these about 8 times now, and they come out perfectly EVERY time. This is the BEST cookie recipe out there!

Brit says:

This was my first Picky Palate recipe ever, and it was a success! I used peanut butter chips instead of chocolate chips, and I highly recommend that :) Delicious!

Sarah says:

Wow – those look amazing! I’ll have to give them a try sometime, my kids would love them I’m sure!

[…] found THIS recipe online and they are amazing!!!! Kudos Picky […]

Anna M says:

I am a long time baking blog reader, but never think to comment on things I’ve tried. I just had to say that these are amazing! They turned out perfectly! I chilled the dough in the freezer for a bit as I was impatient… They are thick and soft and beautiful.

The pudding mix is a very rare find in Ireland but I happened upon it in a shop in Dublin. It is super pricey here, but I’m converted. I am going to stock up pronto while I can!

Thanks for a recipe I will use again and again :)

Andrea says:

I made these cookies and I followed the recipe exactly, they were perfect! My only problem was that the cookies didn’t flatten when they baked and they stayed as little mounds when they came out of the oven and as they cooled off. Any way I could maybe fix this? Still delicious either way and everyone loved them!

Pamela says:

These cookies are beautiful to look at! They have a rich taste that we all love. We searched for mini M&Ms in WA state but couldn’t find any so we settled for regular size. Our dough was crumbly and wouldn’t stay together unless we packed them. The packing made them lose the amazing chewiness that we all love in a good cookie. The next time we will reduce the chocolate and see if that helps. Thank you for sharing!

Andrea says:

I made these in WA state as well but I ended up finding the mini m&m’s in the candy dispensers at WinCo! I also resorted to buying the tubes at Fred Meyer when I needed a little extra.

Heather says:

Can’t wait to try these! Can you freeze/refrigerate this dough? If so, up to how long? I need them for next Friday but I’d like to go ahead and make the dough now while I have time!

Tayler says:

I just made these cookies and they were amazing! I used peanut butter mnm’s just because I was feeling the peanut butter vibes… but they turned out so good!! Definitely going to make these again really soon!!!! :)

Ray says:

Super easy came out perfect, I doubled the recipe because between the guys in my house and the neighbors they would be gone in 15 mins. I also chilled the dough for 15 mins!

Jessica says:

These are so yummy…already made them twice and I just found the recipe last week. My boys and husband loved them. The first time I made them they were perfect…exactly like the picture! The second time they seemed to run a bit and seemed thinner-still yummy but not as fluffy? Any ideas why? My only thought was the 1st time I had the dough in the fridge.

KayleneP says:

Have just found this recipe via Pinterest and I must say your cookies look divine! Will be giving this recipe a try soon!

Rhonda says:

This was a very good recipe. I didnt have instant vanilla pudding but had the cook and serve and it turned out great.
    I do agree with some of the other post about the batter being very dry but they still turned out really good.
    Thanks for sharing this one!

Claire Mendenhall says:

I found this recipe on Pinterest and have made them 3 times in the last month!!!! Love them!!!

mikaella says:

Hi there!

I just made this. They melted and now are just one really big retangular cookie. I followed your recipe to the letter. It tastes ok, but they are reaaaaaally greasy. I just ate one and my hand got all shiny… I put the exact same amount of everything, and the only thing different was that my M&M’s are the normal size, not minis. :(
    It actually is the second time I tried the recipe. The first one I didn’t have the pudding mix, so I wasn’t surprised when they ended up all melted, but were not greasy, and tasted good.. This time I used the mix (dry, not prepared) and followed the recipe. I thought I’d finally make cookies that looked like cookies :( (Mine always have something wrong…maybe the cookie god isn’t fond of me)

Sydny says:

Thank you for the recipe!
    they tasted DELISH!!

One issue, mine did not seem to flatten out and expand.
    So, on my second batch in the oven I flatted them with a spatula before baking.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Jenn says:

My dough came out crumbly added an extra egg and turned out great! Thank you!!!

Michelle Whitman says:

I am looking forward to making these cookies! Have you ever made the dough and then frozen it? I am wondering if the cookies will be as good if the dough is frozen ahead of time. I love to keep home-made cookie dough balls in my freezer :)

Sal says:

mine did not flatten on. The were just mounds