Gaby is definitely the queen of all things avocado and her book is “absolutely” perfect! Matt Armendariz and Adam Pearson photographed and styled the book so you can expect mouthwatering delicious photos throughout.
I chose to make Gaby’s “Bacon, Avocado and Corn Salad.” Can I just say it is a salad packed with all of my favorite things. It’s got corn, bacon, avocados, cilantro, lime and cheese! I could eat this every day and be so very happy.
I just know you will love this salad, Enjoy!
Congrats to Gaby and her beautiful new cookbook! Go out and get your copy today!
Here’s a glimpse of Gaby’s Cookbook. It will be very happily used in my kitchen!
Bacon, Avocado and Corn Salad by Gaby Dalkin’s “Absolutely Avocados”
- 5 strips Thick cut bacon
- 4 ears corn, husks and silks removed
- 2 ounces cotija cheese (feta cheese may be substituted)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 Hass avocado
- coarse salt
- ground black pepper to taste
- Place a heavy skillet over medium heat. Arrange the bacon strips in the skillet and cook on both sides until the bacon is crisp, 5 to 6 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to dry. Remove all but 1 tablespoon of the bacon fat from the skillet.
- Cut the kernels off each cob by laying the cob flat on a cutting board and using a sharp knife to remove the kernels. Discard the cobs and transfer the kernels to the skillet with the bacon fat. Cook the corn over medium-high heat until it is just slightly golden brown, about 5 minutes. Turn off the heat, crumble in the cotija cheese, and add the cilantro and lime juice. Let the mixture cool to room temperature. Roughly crumble the bacon into the corn mixture and toss to combine.
- Cut the avocado in half lengthwise. Remove the pit from the avocado and discard. Remove the avocado from the skin and cut the avocado into 1/2 inch pieces. Transfer the avocado to the skillet. Taste and season with salt and pepper before serving. Serve immediately at room temperature, or refrigerate for later. Bring to room temperature before serving.
Makes 6-8 Servings
Recipe by Gaby Dalkin Absolutely Avocados
Giveaway! One lucky Picky Palate reader will win a copy of Gaby’s Absolutely Avocados!
To enter, just leave a comment below, telling us your favorite way to eat avocados!
Contest ends May 1, 2013 8am PST and will be notified by email. US Residents only. Winner will have 48 hours to respond to claim their prize.
FOLLOW PICKY PALATE ON INSTAGRAM! Show me what recipes you're making from Picky Palate by using #pickypalate.