Apr
2013

Bacon, Avocado and Corn Salad

Tags: , , , ,

Appetizers and Sides

Bacon, Avocado and Corn Salad by Picky Palate www.picky-palate.com

I am thrilled to share a new cookbook with you today called Absolutely Avocados by my friend Gaby Dalkin of What’s Gaby Cooking!

Gaby is definitely the queen of all things avocado and her book is “absolutely” perfect!  Matt Armendariz and Adam Pearson photographed and styled the book so you can expect mouthwatering delicious photos throughout.

I chose to make Gaby’s “Bacon, Avocado and Corn Salad.”  Can I just say it is a salad packed with all of my favorite things.  It’s got corn, bacon, avocados, cilantro, lime and cheese!  I could eat this every day and be so very happy.

I just know you will love this salad, Enjoy!

Congrats to Gaby and her beautiful new cookbook!  Go out and get your copy today!

Bacon, Avocado and Corn Salad

Here’s a glimpse of Gaby’s Cookbook.  It will be very happily used in my kitchen!

Bacon, Avocado and Corn Salad by Picky Palate

Bacon, Avocado and Corn Salad by Gaby Dalkin’s “Absolutely Avocados”

Bacon, Avocado and Corn Salad by Picky Palate www.picky-palate.com Ingredients

• 5 strips Thick cut bacon
  • 4 ears corn, husks and silks removed
  • 2 ounces cotija cheese (feta cheese may be substituted)
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
  • 1 lime, juiced
  • 1 Hass avocado
  • coarse salt
  • ground black pepper to taste

Directions

1. Place a heavy skillet over medium heat. Arrange the bacon strips in the skillet and cook on both sides until the bacon is crisp, 5 to 6 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to dry. Remove all but 1 tablespoon of the bacon fat from the skillet.
  2. Cut the kernels off each cob by laying the cob flat on a cutting board and using a sharp knife to remove the kernels. Discard the cobs and transfer the kernels to the skillet with the bacon fat. Cook the corn over medium-high heat until it is just slightly golden brown, about 5 minutes. Turn off the heat, crumble in the cotija cheese, and add the cilantro and lime juice. Let the mixture cool to room temperature. Roughly crumble the bacon into the corn mixture and toss to combine.
  3. Cut the avocado in half lengthwise. Remove the pit from the avocado and discard. Remove the avocado from the skin and cut the avocado into 1/2 inch pieces. Transfer the avocado to the skillet. Taste and season with salt and pepper before serving. Serve immediately at room temperature, or refrigerate for later. Bring to room temperature before serving.

Makes 6-8 Servings

Recipe by Gaby Dalkin Absolutely Avocados

Giveaway! One lucky Picky Palate reader will win a copy of Gaby’s Absolutely Avocados!

To enter, just leave a comment below, telling us your favorite way to eat avocados!

Contest ends May 1, 2013 8am PST and will be notified by email.  US Residents only.  Winner will have 48 hours to respond to claim their prize.

Comments

Erin says:

Anyway! Guacamole or in a salad or sandwich are all good with me!

Meredith says:

I love to eat them just about any way. They are awsome

Michelle D says:

Gotta be guacamole!!!

I love Guacamole of course, but I also love to brush avocado halves with olive oil and grill them as a side for burgers.

Aly says:

My favorite way is just as guacamole. I would love new ways to enjoy them, though!

Anne says:

Guacamole!

Leslie Olson says:

Guac!

Summer says:

I love avocados on top of grilled turkey burgers. I also love a good avocado and charred corn salad. So good!

Michelle says:

Rough chopped and mixed with those little mozzarella balls and cherry tomatoes. Or guac!

Sadie says:

I love a smear on a turkey sandwich. Yum.

I’ve been looking for new ways to use avocado. So far, I’ve been pretty boring just using it in guac.

jan n says:

I love avocado smoothies

Ilene says:

GUACAMOLE!

marie schubert says:

I love to have avocado as a drink which I make very often in the blender. It tastes so good and is so nutritious. It is very easy to make.

oooo…can’t wait to check out this cookbook…my fav way to eat avocados is guac.i can not get enough chips and guac!

Darlene Epps says:

Just slice them in half give it a twist and scoop it out. I eat it as a side to everything I eat. I love,love, avocados.

Lisa says:

I love avocados in anything! On tacos, in sushi, on a burger, with a fork…you name it I’ll eat it if it has avocado! I’d love this cookbook.

Lisa Nash says:

I love avocados any which way!! Favorite is probably in guacamole, spread on everything! YUM!

Emily says:

Yummy in sandwich with chicken and bacon

Avocado, corn and bacon is a fabulous combo!

Loretta says:

I love mashed avocado with a little lime juice and chopped tomato, sort of a mild guacamole. Great as dip with chips or raw veggies, spread on crackers, added to sandwiches and burgers, spooned onto baked potatoes, grilled chicken and salads (esp. taco salad)…so many ways to use it!

louie says:

avocado ice cream!

Laurie A. says:

When I lived in Israel and going to grad school there (about 24 years ago!), there was a tiny market across the street from the campus and we used to go there to get our sandwiches. The process to get them made was interesting. You went to the back of the store to get from the fresh produce bin (everything was delivered and made/baked fresh daily) a tomato and an avocado. Next, you selected the bread you wanted. Then you took it to the counter and the guy would proceed to make the sandwich. He sliced the roll/bread in half, spread avocado on both halves, sprinkled a little salt and added sliced tomatoes. Next, he would cut slices of cheese to put on it and added a little more salt. We NEVER got tired of this sandwich. And the whole thing cost about $1.50! I make this at home often. I use poppy seed kaiser rolls and swiss cheese. It is a filling and delicious sandwich and always brings back great memories for me! I love anything that has avocados in it and usually order extra avocado in restaurants that offer it!

Anne Marie says:

Made this on Saturday and it was delicious. I did substitute the cotija cheese for feta.

Thanks!!

Ashley says:

Dark chocolate avocado smoothies are one of my favorite ways to use avocado!

Katy says:

I love avocado greek yogurt dip for veggies or in a salad!

RACI says:

I love to eat them wrapped in cheese and bacon

Donna Howard says:

I like to peel it – cut it down the middle – take the big seed out, sprinkle with salt and pepper — and chomp it!!! Just like that! Plain. Yum!! But I am going to make this tomorrow!

[...] Bacon, Avocado and Corn Salad on Picky Palate Fried Avocado Tacos on Heather Christo Cooks Irish Nachos on Family Fresh Cooking Mango Cilantro Guacamole on Two Peas and Their Pod Cheese Pupusas with Tomatillo Avocado Salsa on Table for Two Vegetarian Avocado Sushi Bowls on Running with Tweezers Goat Cheese Guacamole w/ Pita Chips on Shutterbean [...]

Ilse says:

Vary the filling ingredients according to your taste and budget.
    Uramaki is similar to maki, however, rice is placed on top of
    the nori instead of inside. This is a extremely previous design of Japanese chef knife.

Taylor says:

I made this as a side dish for a baby shower luncheon, and it was a HUGE hit. I doubled the recipe and used canned corn and feta cheese. There wasn’t any left. Thanks! =)

[...] Leave a Comment | Print | Link to this Post [...]

I made this salad a few weeks ago and it was to-die-for!!!

I love avocado on my sandwhich.

Lauren B says:

My favorite way to eat an avocado is (of course) plain & with a spoon!
    I serve it up for breakfast, though, with an egg cracked into the spot where the pit was removed from, sprinkled with a little bit of cheese & bacon and put in the oven under the broiler. YUM.
    Lunchtime calls for a grilled sandwich of turkey, swiss, spinach, avocado, & ranch dressing!

[...] sun”.  Ok, the sun is not quite Californian, it’s more a shy Belgian sunbeam. But the dish is undeniably Californian. It’s one of the 75 recipes in Absolutely Avocados by Gaby Dalkin. [...]

[...] also love this Summer Corn Salad Recipe from Ina Garten as well as this Bacon, Avocado and Corn Salad from Picky [...]

Astrid says:

What a delicious way to combine great ingredients! Delightful.. will be making this soon.

PS: I shared your post a couple of days ago with my community on FB and Pinterest and it went viral. Congrats! Keep up the good work <3

Astrid

Lorrie says:

I like avocados in salads, there are endless possibilities.

Lizzy says:

Embarassed to say I just tried an avocado a couple of months ago but it was delicious so I bought my first one yesterday to try out.